Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!! >

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Wow, guys you are having terrible storms. In upstate New York it is a gorgeous day.

Sorry Billy, you can have your storms. I like the nice weather without all the smog and earthquakes in California where I grew up. I was in 1 major earthquake in the late 60' or early 70's and that was enough for me.

I'm glad you saved your daughter, I can't even imagine what you all are going through.

Please take care all, and my prayers are with you for "normal" weather soon.

TO Baren*eh*ked_canadian: Congrats on the new to come. Didn't realize you were expecting. That is such an exciting time. Soon there will be giggles and smiles all around. Nothing is better than having a baby, not even Vintage sewing machines. Sorry Billy. I would take 10 kids over any sewing machine any day.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by no1jan
Nothing is better than having a baby, not even Vintage sewing machines. Sorry Billy. I would take 10 kids over any sewing machine any day.
Nothing wrong with short people!! I guess thats why all of the kids in the neighborhood hang out with us here.

Unless there is 3 feet of water on you street.. :roll:

Billy
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Storm update!!!

We have another lull in the storm and the sun is trying to break out of the clouds.

BUT the next round is coming and they are talking about it dumping 5" to 6" of rain an hour! There is tons of flooding homes, cars, and businesses. It even flipped a full sized fire truck over while they were trying to rescue a lady in her car.

We did have a tornado go over my house and I thought my trees in the front yard were fixing to take off and golf ball sized hail before and after it came over. It is bad enough my daughters Honda was a U-Boat this morning but now the car has several dents in it from the hail storm. Poor kid cant get a break for the life of her.

We are sitting at over 11" of rain since midnight and the county over from us has had over 12" of rain and they have closed a lot of the main highways in the tri county area.

So now I am fixing to take a tour of the neighborhood and see what it looks like before it hits again in the next hour or so.

I hope that everyone is safe and okay that has to deal with this weather!!

Billy
Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Are touring by boat?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM

I can't imagine living where you do, and having to live through the tornadoes. In Oregon, (on the coast) I have lived through 125 mph sustained winds. As a child I had a fear of the wind, now I love it. Lightning too. Though lightning scares me now because my youngest is a fire fighter, and he has been sent out on some terrible fires. But, they are beautiful, and inspire renewal.

you all take care of yourselves and keep your heads down.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM

I think weather like that is so cool! I think as long as I knew that I myself was not in danger, I would love to experience something like that. Thunderstorms are awesome to watch... I just hate when they happen in the middle of the night because it stops me from sleeping... even just rain outside keeps me up, lol. I'm a very light sleeper. One of my favorite movies is Twister, and I know it's only a movie, really, but all they stuff that happens just seems so cool!
Tornados are common in your area, right? I bet insurance is $$$$$$$

As for the baby, he should have been here by a couple of days ago, but he's being stubborn!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Speaking of calm before the next wave hits, when we were much much younger, a girl I went to school with went outside in the eye of a hurricane. She thought the storm was over, and I guess as a child, you don't really know any better... I don't remember ever being through a hurricane, even a mild one, so I wouldn't know what was over and what was not.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

We had a few shear force winds around 120mph but I think they were from the tornadoes.

They just said Brownsville, TN has had over 16" of rain and it is still coming down in buckets!! It has been said that we have broken every record for rainfall and tornado warnings in west TN's history.

There are still tornadoes on the ground in MS, one outside of Ripley and another heading to Iuka.

I was thinking about using my neighbors boat but I just hopped on the Four Wheeler. Then I ended up getting drowned before getting to the end of the block so I headed back. :evil:

Oh well they say that this is going to go on until sometime Sunday afternoon.

Billy
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I think weather like that is so cool! I think as long as I knew that I myself was not in danger, I would love to experience something like that. Thunderstorms are awesome to watch... I just hate when they happen in the middle of the night because it stops me from sleeping... even just rain outside keeps me up, lol. I'm a very light sleeper. One of my favorite movies is Twister, and I know it's only a movie, really, but all they stuff that happens just seems so cool!
Tornados are common in your area, right? I bet insurance is $$$$$$$

As for the baby, he should have been here by a couple of days ago, but he's being stubborn!
I think they're pretty neat as long as you can see where they are going so you can get out of the way. Like you I love Twister, the effects were pretty incredible. "We have cows" LOL!!

So he is being stubborn is he?!? Just drive across railroad traks a few times and hit a pot hole or two and he will change his mind!!

Billy
Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

We had the storms come thru last night in western Ky. The weather radio went off twice, once for a tornado warning for the eastern part of our county. We are expecting more over night tonight. Cancelled a trip to poplar bluff missouri today because of the storms, didn't want to take the chance to get caught in a storm with the kids.
It has been raining all day. I think we had a 30 min break from the rain.
every one be safe out there.