Sewing clothes

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM

I sewed my first skirt that I wore to school (gathered waist, zipper, with a button and buttonhole on the waistband) at the age of 7. I was in second grade. I can still remember what the fabric looked like. I had sewn doll clothes before that. Sewing for me was easier than sewing the doll clothes. I made most all of my clothes from that time on. It was cheaper to make clothes than to buy them. I even made samples for a local fabric shop. The owner and I would choose the fabric and a pattern. I'd make the sample to fit me. They displayed it for a period of time and I would get the garment when they were done with it. I have a Home Ec minor (Elementary education major) in clothing construction. I was always ahead of what was expected for any Home Ec class I took. About 15 years ago, a friend asked me to go to a quilting class with her. My response was that I didn't see any need to cut up fabric into tiny pieces and sew them back together. Well, I went to the class. Now I quilt and rarely make clothes. I have discovered the part of quilting I enjoy the most is the math. I have so may quilts I have entered into EQ, but once I have the math (geometry) figured out, I don't care if I make the quilt or not. Now, I work at a quilt shop and make samples for the shop. I design some of the quilts for the shop, write the patterns and do the long arm quilting. I guess you'd call me a quilter now. Oh yea, I am able to help customers with their garment sewing questions too.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:23 AM

I think I am a pretty good quilter, have been sewing since I was 11. That was 60 years ago. Since I started quilting, I find that I am horrible at garment sewing. Yesterday I started making some simple pot holders, they turned out awful. I think I will stick to quilting and embroidery on the machine. I just hate sewing for the trash can or the goodwill bag!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by pamesue View Post
learning to sew clothing is on my bucket list for this winter. I have been quilting for about 20 years, but would love to learn basic clothing making skills
there are some free classes out there, I think even on Craftsy, Peggy Seagers, silhouette patterns does lots of tutorials, sew alongs etc that have helped a lot.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:05 AM

We had home economics in junior high school and one was sewing. I know I'm dating myself. We had to make a skirt and then display in a fashion show - ha ha! My grandmother was a dressmaker in the sweat shops in New York City back in the day - she passed away a long time ago but was very dear to me. I also got interested in other things: learned to knit, crochet, embroidery, counted cross stitch, crewel, and then quilting. Now I've been into quilting for a long time but never got to really get into because of raising and family and working. Now for the first time, I am able to focus on quilting and I love it. I'm still learning a lot but up for the challenge.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Where can I find the garment sewing digest/group?? thank you
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 AM

I also started early on sewing doll clothes and watching my mom sew. I got into quilting and the first thing (other than a hand quilted pot holder about 30 years ago) I made, was a quilted jacket. I have been quilting mostly now but also make shirts for my husband. He's portly and I find I have to shorten the pants and jeans. I made him a paisley shirt last Christmas, hmmm, that reminds me, he picked out some other fabric that is waiting... and waiting...and waiting while I work on a mystery quilt (Bonnie Hunter, En Provence) and too many UFO's to count.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM

I took Home Economics in the 7th grade when they wouldn't let me take shop. (I still resent that!) I asked the teacher "what next" on every step of making a dress. When it was finished, it was sewn inside out. I decided sewing was not for me... fast forward 52 years...

I'd love to know how to sew clothes in stretch fabrics that would fit me. I'm hard to fit since my waist is two sizes larger than my other measurements. My problem is that I don't want to learn anything else about sewing clothes other than that. Every class that I've found teaches things that I'm not interested in learning. I should find a 4-H class and start at the beginning.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I sewed all my clothes into my 20's, but when patterns started costing more than readymades I gave up.
I've been thinking about this thread since yesterday and my response was only a partial answer.

I'd still be making my own clothes if it weren't for gaining and losing the same 30 pounds over and over.
I'd take a course with Palmer Pletsch so I would have my own permanent patterns, they have workshops in Portland OR, just south of me.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:17 PM

I sewed for 4-H membership and everything in between on a treadle that my dads traded a shotgun for in 1917. There were 9 kids in the family and only my mom and I sewed. I made everything imaginable! Car seat covers, bridal dresses, draperies, suits for my husband, etc. When quilting arrived in the 80's, clothing went out the window. I no longer have a desire to sew clothes. I did, however, make sure that my daughter and 2 grands learned how to sew. GD said she used her knowledge to repair something on a sailboat she was sailing with a 74-year old man. They at least know how to hem pants, etc., and they will inherit my sewing machines.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM

I figured if my mom could work a full time job and sew halloween costumes, as stay at home mom, I could make costumes for our 2 dd's. I made many princess costumes. I learned Easter dresses are easier than most princess costumes. Then a friend got me started quilting by taking me on a shop hop! I didn't realize that so many shops could sell so many different fabrics! I've been in this quilting vortex for ~15 years now!