Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why >

Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why

Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why

Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltersreview.com/wp-con...logo-small.png Here are a few. With the extra money leftover, if so from your choice, you maybe able to get her a sewing machine case on wheels. ANd maybe get the Bio Gear bag pattern or a pattern for her notions. Everything in one case.

Last edited by tessagin; 07-07-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:43 PM

I got a Baby Lock Grace for my great niece last year with a Sew Steady table for $325. Went to a dealer & it was a trade in/up so totally refurbished. We'll be doing some sewing together when I'm in MI next month.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 AM

My first machine when I started sewing was from Sears&Roebuck that machine lasted for well over 30 years, and then after it died I just picked up something at walmart brother machine for $65.97; it still works great and it is 20 years old. I now have viking which I love.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:00 AM

There's a small Pfaff that doesn't weigh a lot...it's touted as a 'take to class' machine. I don't know the price point you're looking for, but you might check this out. However, whatever you choose, make sure it can be serviced locally.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
You have some good recommendations here. The most important thing is to buy a machine that will not 'give her trouble with thread and tension issues'. I made my first wearable dress when I was 9 years old. Prior I had made pillows, little quilts, doll clothes, etc. Because I did not have bad experiences with machine issues I never looked back with sewing and have sewed something most every day since. Can't believe that it has been more than 70 years!
Absolutely agree with this. The first machine I bought for myself was brand new. It gave me so much trouble with tension and no power to sew anything that I got so frustrated and stopped sewing for probably 15 years. I finally picked up sewing again after I found a Singer T&S at a yard sale for $20 which included the table and everything in it (threads, scissors, zippers, buttons, sizing.....stocked full). I thought "why not?..." I bought it to try again, and absolutely LOVED that machine...I could sew through anything and never had any tension issues. That machine got me sewing again, and I used it until I blew the motor out. I have been happily sewing ever since.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I will add this again, as I always do to threads asking about "what machine should I get". Some places are not awash in used and vintage machines. I speak from my own personal experience. If I were wanting to sew, it wouldn't be as easy as just going to a few garage sales at the end of the week and finding such a machine that was in good shape, for a good price. So if someone wanted to start sewing pretty soon, I would still go for a basic or higher Brother. They work out of the box, have no tension problems in my experience, are happy with any thread, in my experience, and have never needed a class or dealer. The manuals are very well written. In my personal experience with 3 of them.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM

I started a friends daughter on a Brother from Walmart. I have just purchased a NEW HOME Janome for a great neice that is here for a few weeks. I am so unhappy I am sending it back to Micheals. Not a smart purchase. All of my other machines are Janome. And I have had good luck. But I wouldn't recommend this for a learners purchase. No light no 1/4" foot and other problems. I am sending it back.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 PM

An important thing to consider before purchasing a machine, is that many of the time-tested brands that once represented quality, have been purchased by holding companies, which exist either to split up and and sell the acquisition as piece meal, or to own managing stock. They have no interest in the quality of the original product and they outsource the product and its parts to be cheaply made so that they can slap the original brand label on a cheap product and turn a profit. In contrast, most manufacturers have engineers that design and develop their machines and parts and they create a list of specs and prints and those specs and prints are are used as guidelines to manufacture machines and parts. In 2006, Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, and White were purchased by a holding company called Kohlberg. They already owned Singer. White became consolidated with lower end Vikings. The quality Swedish engineering that Husqvarna Viking was once known for, was instead, outsourced to Vietnam and China. I know that my Quilt Designer was one of the last machines that was Swedish engineered using the true Viking prints and specs. I think your Quilt Designer may also have been one of the last. Many people who love vintage machines love them for their quality. I'm not suggesting that it is not possible to buy one of the newer machines and really love it, but I'm just saying be careful with your purchase and research the history of the company and read reviews to see if people are happy with their warranty.

If I were recommending a machine to a new sewist, I would recommend a good quality, used, mechanical machine. A new seamstress can graduate to a computerized machine later. When you buy a used machine, oftentimes feet and accessories can be purchased for a song. Anybody who sews knows that the feet and accessories can cost more than the machine. What a wonderful thing to be able to have a large assortment of feet and experiment with them. Many new sewists who buy a new machine can't afford to get the extras that are made for the machine, and with a used machine they are more affordable. A wide variety of feet will give her more learning opportunities, refine her skills accordingly, and widen her options for creativity. With a mechanical machine, there are less things that can go wrong. How long will the mother-board last on a computerized machine? What is the likelihood that she will be able to find another mother-board if hers fails? I can't tell you how often I have been able to figure out how to fix my mechanical machines myself. On the other hand, in fairness, computerized machines are fun and have many whistles and bells that a mechanical one doesn't have.

Check out PatternReview.com for reviews on sewing machines. There are archives of valuable information available there.

Obviously there are things you know that she would want in a machine. If she likes your Viking, then she probably would like a computerized machine. While I think a used machine would be a good choice, many young people would rather have something brand new.

When you are considering features, I think a machine with the widest possible harp space is important. When I want to clean or oil or repair my machine or change my light bulb, being able to work with something that is easily accessible is important. Being able to change to different needle positions is an important feature. Being able to drop the feed dogs is important. You should make a list of what important features you would like for her to have.

I own a Babylock Mechanical sewing machine, a Janome made computerized Kenmore, a top of the line vintage White/Kenmore, a Viking Quilt Designer, a Babylock serger, and a Viking serger, and a Janome CoverPro CPX1000. I love them all. I don't have any experience with the newer machines, but there are other members here who do and it sounds like they are happy with them and have a lot to say about them.

How thoughtful of you to want to give this little girl such a wonderful gift. You have a very big heart and someone is very lucky to have you in her life. For all you know you could be part of her destiny. Good luck with your choice.