Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shadow: Chief Quilt Piecing Inspector

Shadow: Chief Quilt Piecing Inspector

This are pictures of Shadow, my terrorist cat. He likes to sit next to me as I piece my quilts. If he doesn't like something, he will bat at it with his paws. He also takes over my chair and will not let me sit down. I get around that now by putting a waste basket on it. Also I cover every piece of fabric/quilt with something he won't like to sit on. He takes round pin cushions and knocks them around the floor, bats my bobbins to places I can't find them. Before he was neutered, he was a lovely cat. I allowed him to lay on my desk in a nice bed by the window. Now, he will bang on the door forever to be let in. I get a spray bottle sometimes to get him to leave me and the dogs along. I still love the darn thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the decals on your machine...not to mention your cat....I keep mine out f my sewing room otherwise I would have the same "war zone" too.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like he has excess energy.

Power Poster
    too funny!!!!
    QUILTNMO

How long has he been neutered? Just a guess but he might be having a male menopause because of the lack of hormones. I'm not a vet, but know that hormonal changes make me crabby too. Poor guy. I have two that look a lot like him. I love my kitties too.

Blog Entries
    Awwww...he's a cutie. We had a girl cat that needed to know everything I was doing and she'd try to figure out how things worked. Had to watch her every minute...thank goodness for her frequent naps! We called her the "Snoopervisor!" Still miss her. To be on the safe side, you might ask your vet about your boy cat's personality change. Most cats mellow after being neutered (you probably know that).
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Those silly cats certainly worm their way into our hearts don't they! Mine love the sewing room. If I keep the door shut they come running when it gets opened. If I leave it open they will go in to nap but are much better behaved.

Blog Entries
    Shadow is very handsome. I'm so glad you have an inspector. don't they make our quilts come out so much more nicer? I know with my Zoey, I'm guaranteed to make a nice quilt. or she'll complain.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

He's so pretty. I like the 2nd photo - he's taking his inspector job very seriously!
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem with my grey tabby Tommy Girl. She was a real sweety pie and either sat on my lap or the right side corner. I got her fixed and for a couple of months she was a real pain. Nothing in the house was safe from her -she terrorized my dog and cat and then all of a sudden she was back to her old sweet self. Then she moved out and for the last 5 1/2 years she refuses to come in the house. No matter what the weather. She now has her own little house on the back porch,only uses it if the wind is cold other wise she prefers to lay in the rain and snow. Go figure

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    He's so pretty. I like the 2nd photo - he's taking his inspector job very seriously!
    so do I. He looks like a lot is going on in his mind witty I would beleive but he just can't say it in a way we can understand... brilliant

My sweet kitty, Scout, looks to be a twin of your Shadow. Scout loves to help me cut, piece and just generally be in the way when I am quilting. But she is nice about it! Sorry your dear terrorist has had a change of attitude. Scout always jumps to my chair the moment I rise to iron, get a drink of water or place some thing on my wall. I can see the sparkle in her eyes and I just remover her only to then find her on my cutting mat. That is my greatest fear. She loves to be in the action when I am cutting. She jumps up, I put her down, I cut, she jumps up and repeat. Tee-Hee! I get lots of bending at the waist exercise with this pussy cat. I also have to cover my work for fold it over the machine so she will not spread a layer of fine gray fur on everything.

One of Scout's more charming moments happen when I am hand sewing the binding or hand quilting. I settle into my favorite chair with quilt spread over my lap and I am working away and then the quilt moves. Scout cat has taken refuge under the quilt "tent". She does her kitty round and round then nestles in laying her feet or bum just a tiny bit on the edge with just enough weight that it is hard to turn the quilt. I am sure she is quite aware of her little tricks. But we laugh a lot together and have established that I am in charge but I will take her need to be involved with quilting into consideration. She is a dear companion.
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-21-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    He sure is inspecting those seams. So glad he is your cat. I could not tolerate that scrutiny.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

My cats have told me that they do things their way. Being neutered is another of those things.

A female shorthair started to lick all the fur off herself. We thought she was going to naked! The vet said he'd seen such behavior and prescribed human birth control pills. To the human pharmacy with the scrip. The pharmacist looked at me and told me he didn't think they were going to do the job for me! I asked him to look at the heading on the scrip. We both had a good laugh. And Tinker quit itching and so quit licking herself bald.

I guess the trick with cats is to just patiently keep at the problem until it's solved. Can't do without them, though.

Take it gently, P

What a lovely quilt inspector you have!!

Mine are banned from the sewing room. My primary quilt inspector would try to "catch" the moving needle as I sewed!!! No, we can't have that, I don't want to end up with cat blood on my quilt! (Or dealing with the guilt of allowing him to be injured!) I have a baby gate that keeps him out, but I put an empty tote right outside the gate for him to sit in, and I sprinkle catnip in there and he goes berserk rolling around in it and then crashes and takes a nice peaceful nap while I sew. Everybody is happy.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My neighbor has a cat and it gets everywhere. Anytime she sends something out she has to wash and ship right away. She sent a quilt to a dear aunt who has asthma and severe allergies to cat and dog dander. Her aunt nearly died when she opened the package. There was enough cat hair/dander that was still in the quilt that nearly cost her her life.

Blog Entries
    He is a very handsome Dude.

J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Pretty "quilt inspector" I have one of those "terrorist cats I am fostering till October (but I just call him psycho !LOL). Lately when I go into the sewing room he will be on a tub in a dark corner and sees me then goes right back to sleep. I think its because the machine attacked his foot when he tried to get it while I was sewing (no cat was harmed in the attack.. Just his pride). :-)
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

You took his favorite activity away from him, so now, he is going to make you pay by wanting constant attention to him only.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

He's a lovely boy. Does he have a feline companion? They seem to do better if there at least two cats in the household. He is probably bored and full of curiosity and energy he could spend chasing his kitty buddy around the house if he had one.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

He might be giving you "pay back" for the surgery! Hopefully he will forgive you soon.

cute kitty, what's Not to love!
    Last edited by Tiggersmom; 08-21-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: oops
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Precious kitty

Shadow in our only male pet in the house. When we brought him home, he was very loving to us. I picked him up every single day and held him in my arms and kissed him over and over. (Only cat lovers appreciate this). He still wants this every day even if he tries to bite me afterward. We named him Shadow because he was behind me constantly: my Shadow. He watches everything I do in my quilting room, is he my quilt police?

I love boy kitties. Your pictures of Shadow are super sweet.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

He is a beauty!
    Sandra