Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Share a Favorite Childhood memory >

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM

I was 10 and my folks bought me a horse...oh I was so horse crazy it was pitiful. He was an Arizona mustang, flea bitten gray in color and I loved him with all my heart. My girlfriend and I used to ride all over the country (bareback) and probably knew every horse owner for 20 miles around...LOL.

Christmas at my Grandmother's was another very fond memory. She would cook for weeks in advance, making each one's favorite pies, cakes and candy. Always had a huge tree with a gazillion lights. There was always at least 15 of us there.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

going to stay with my aunt she taught me so much about sewing embrodierying good good memories
Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM

I am really enjoying reading all your great stories. I had a great childhood and was the baby of the family. I had two brothers and two sisters. I remember playing "Hunt the Hay" which is really Hide and Seek. Our parents and all the neighbors sat outside at night while we played. There was no air-conditioning then and no TV, just radio. I remember going to town with my mother on the bus and walking up and down Canal St. in New Orleans window shopping. About midway, we would stop at the drugstore and have a malt. I would play marbles, hopscotch, spin tops, etc. with my brothers. Oh, and I read tons of comic books and played with paper dolls. I think the children today miss out on a lot. They stay inside most of the time and play video games, etc. Not good.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
I am really enjoying reading all your great stories. I had a great childhood and was the baby of the family. I had two brothers and two sisters. I remember playing "Hunt the Hay" which is really Hide and Seek. Our parents and all the neighbors sat outside at night while we played. There was no air-conditioning then and no TV, just radio. I remember going to town with my mother on the bus and walking up and down Canal St. in New Orleans window shopping. About midway, we would stop at the drugstore and have a malt. I would play marbles, hopscotch, spin tops, etc. with my brothers. Oh, and I read tons of comic books and played with paper dolls. I think the children today miss out on a lot. They stay inside most of the time and play video games, etc. Not good.
I agree-they miss so much
Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM

So many fond memories but the one that came to me just now is that of spending the night at my grandma's home.
We'd have a snack, then pray, then she'd add a log or two to the wood burning stove and wind up her clock.

How I loved the sound of that tick-tock and crackling of the wood. :o).
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM

When I was a little girl my momma belonged to the church quilting group at Wheatland Methodist Church in Dallas Texas ...... I remember sitting under the quilt frame listening to the ladies talk and playing with my little dolls ..... and I remember the best food Ive ever eaten at lunch ..... falling asleep under the quilt frame was not uncommon ..... my momma was the youngest lady there and the rest were all white haired and smelled like cookies and ginger bread ....... I loved those days ...I went back 5 years ago to find pics of those very ladies on the wall in the Sunday School building with are you ready for this a quilting frame with a beautiful quilt being hand quilted by the ladies of the church ........ I was so happy to see all the ladies past with their smiles ...... momma included ..... loved it .....my favorite quilt memory as a child .... these pictures were taken in the early 1950s
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM

I posted earlier but wanted to share one more memory. I remember when I was about 7 or 8, my Mom staying up late sewing at night. I could hear the sewing machine and wondered what she was sewing. I would ask her but she just said she was fixing my Dad's jeans. Well, come Christmas morning when my sister and I opened our presents, she had made us fancy clothes for our Barbies. Evening gowns with lace and skirts and jackets that matched. I am smiling as I am typing this - my Mom died in 1988, she was 46. So it is nice to relive some of my memories of her.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1
I posted earlier but wanted to share one more memory. I remember when I was about 7 or 8, my Mom staying up late sewing at night. I could hear the sewing machine and wondered what she was sewing. I would ask her but she just said she was fixing my Dad's jeans. Well, come Christmas morning when my sister and I opened our presents, she had made us fancy clothes for our Barbies. Evening gowns with lace and skirts and jackets that matched. I am smiling as I am typing this - my Mom died in 1988, she was 46. So it is nice to relive some of my memories of her.
I have a similar sewing memory....for Christmas one year we all three got 18-inch "bride" dolls. They came with a bridal gown but my mother sewed (at night) several outfits for each one. And my dad built little wardrobes with shelves and a hanging bar for all the clothes. And little hangers, of course!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Fun reading all the memories. For Christmas there were 5 families that got together - so we had five Christmas parties, one at each home. My sister and I made a playhouse with twine around trees and old 'stuff' mother had thrown out!

I just made a memory with my 10 yr old grandson - I have a basketball hoop in the upper level of my old barn. We swept and cleaned the floor, then he had all the measurements so we made, with spray paint, the 3 point line, and the free throw lines. He was delilghted.

Went shopping with his 13 yr old sister in an antique store and she found a group of 3 painted paintings which she wanted. So between the two of us we pooled our money and bought them for her. She is interested in drawing andn painting so for her birthday she is getting supplies for this.
Fun times
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt
Originally Posted by mrsponcho1
I have a similar sewing memory....for Christmas one year we all three got 18-inch "bride" dolls. They came with a bridal gown but my mother sewed (at night) several outfits for each one. And my dad built little wardrobes with shelves and a hanging bar for all the clothes. And little hangers, of course!
my mom and her two friends did the same thing we got 18 in Madam Alexander dolls .... I still have mine ...her cloths are long gone ...but I have my doll ....and my Terry Lee doll