Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Share a Favorite Childhood memory >

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM

My great grandpa liked to meet my sister and I at school occasionaly and walk home with us. He always had his jacket pockets loaded with bazooka bubble gum to throw out to the other kids. It was great fun for everyone. That is until one day a mother called the school to ask about this old man handing out bubble gum to the kids. Oh well a great memory still.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 PM

going for long walks with my Grandma - we were always late back for dinner and both of us would get told off by my Mum but it didn't stop us from doing it again on her next visit
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM

My fondest memories, were going to stay at my grandparents, I was the oldest of 6 girls and It was so nice to be able to go and be the only child at grandma and grandpas. I would go and "help" for the summer. I was always considered the favorite. and even when I got older. I would go to my grandparents every friday night until my grandpa died and grandma went to a nursing home. Learned a lot from Grandma, but as hard as she tried she could not teach me to crochet, She finally said, "Toodie I think you should get a different hobby". I recorded many of the stories that she told me about when she grew up.A very special time. So when I see my grandkids I always try and make memories.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM

In the summers when I was about 10- 12 or even younger we would go to Illinois (me and my sister) to visit all of our family members for a few weeks. My aunt Annie lived about 5 or 6 miles from my grandma and we would walk to my grandma's all by our selves after she met us half way there. Of course neither my aunt or grandma drove. I would never let my kids do that if I had some nowadays. They didn't think anything of it in the 50 's. This town was Peoria, Illinois and I have such fond memories of visiting there over the years.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 PM

When I was a little girl in 1943, my parents let me plant a Victory garden. I have been planting gardens ever since!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

I remember my mom, my aunt, my cousins and I would all go to
My grandmothers house a few days in august before school started in sept. She sas the only one who had a sewing machine - an old singer treadle sewing machine. They would make most of our school clothes. The only problem, it was always 80 or 90 degrees & the clothes were always wool!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

My father loved to take pictures. One day he had one of those paper hats that the short order cooks used to wear and he made each of us stand at the BBQ grill poking a potato with a grill fork wearing the hat and our bathing suits while he took a picture. It was funny.

Dad would set up a small swimming pool in the back yard each summer for the three of us to enjoy. One time I was leaning on the side and the whole thing crumbled and the water emptied out. I bet Dad was yelling, but I don't remember that part.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM

What wonderful memories.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM

We lived in a small town in Iowa but my cuz lived on a farm I can remember when they first got running water in the house and we had to churn butter and make cream from the milk, sell eggs. those were fun summers.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:22 AM

I remember living in Alaska -- I was about 6 when Dad got transferred from Texas to Alaska (and they say the Army has no senses of humor). I had left my dogs in Texas and really did not want to move. As a bribe, Dad told me that they had silver dollars up there and he would give them to me when he got one in change. One day I went with him to the paymaster to collect his wages (no banks there) and asked the paymaster if he had any silver dollars. I told him what Dad had said so he gave Dad his whole pay in silver dollars!! I was thrilled, but of course I did not get the whole thing. As long as we were at that base, though, the paymaster made sure to give Dad a bunch of silver when he got his pay. There were so many, we saved them in a jar and used them to pay for the drive back to the lower 48 when we got moved again (and that is another sotry...).