Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Share a Favorite Childhood memory >

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Share a Favorite Childhood memory

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Having no living grandparents, my memories evolve around my favorite aunts. One lived in the country and we played in an old granary with cousins. We made mud pies, and decorated them with specially shaped leaves from nearby trees. The older cousins made stilts and we learned to walk on them, and there were always family gatherings at butchering time. All done in one or two days, with several family members helping to cut up and process hogs. All had 4 - 10 children in their families, so we never got bored. No TV, or entertainment, other than things we dreamed up to do. Loved those days, and am sad that today's families lack so much of that togetherness.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by Learner747
All of your stories has me feeling quite nostalgic. This one thing I noticed. Nearly all of them have to do with Grandparents. So let's be sure to make great memories for our grandchildren.
:P
Amen!
I've been reading all of these and had the exact same thought. Almost all of the good memories involve grandparents, extended family and outdoor activities. My husband and I will spend our retirement years on our ranch (I'm already there--he still lives and works in the city) and I can't wait to have our granddaughters (now age 3 weeks and 3 years) out to spend time in the summer with us, playing and exploring the great outdoors. He is already designing the treehouse in his head:) :)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM

It was a form of tage we children paid with my mother and her second husband, when they tried to have some time for themselves. We had a sleepover baby sitter and they would stay a weekend at a hotel. Their favorite was the Holiday Inn. We'd get the phone book and call around until we found where they was registered, and leave them a message, like 'have a good time.'
They would call home when they got the message and let us know they would call us at cerfew, when we had to be in the house.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Our grandmother lived with us when my sister and I were little. I remember her hating wrinkled paper money.She would give it to us kids. So, anytime we saw she left money around, we would crunch it up (of course not letting her know that we did it...I wonder if she really knew) and then she would give it to us. She also hid candy behind her dresser, I think she taped it there.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1
Well, come Christmas morning when my sister and I opened our presents, she had made us fancy clothes for our Barbies. Evening gowns with lace and skirts and jackets that matched.
Your Mom must have been very special. I made just one Barbie doll dress for my little girl years ago. Was so tiny and hard to do. Had to bite my tongue so as not to cuss.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by Learner747
All of your stories has me feeling quite nostalgic. This one thing I noticed. Nearly all of them have to do with Grandparents. So let's be sure to make great memories for our grandchildren.
:P
Amen!
I've been reading all of these and had the exact same thought. Almost all of the good memories involve grandparents, extended family and outdoor activities. My husband and I will spend our retirement years on our ranch (I'm already there--he still lives and works in the city) and I can't wait to have our granddaughters (now age 3 weeks and 3 years) out to spend time in the summer with us, playing and exploring the great outdoors. He is already designing the treehouse in his head:) :)
Grandparents are THAT special. Us grands have a bond that defies explanation. I agree. Let's keep making memories.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 AM

[quote=ShabbyTabby]I was 10 and my folks bought me a horse...oh I was so horse crazy it was pitiful. He was an Arizona mustang, flea bitten gray in color and I loved him with all my heart. My girlfriend and I used to ride all over the country (bareback) and probably knew every horse owner for 20 miles around...LOL.

Oh, how I wanted a horse when I was little. I would daydream about it all the time and even pretended that my bicycle was a horse, with a string tied to the handlebars for the reins. One year for Christmas I asked for a toy horse-hauler truck with plastic horses, and that's what Santa brought me! One of my absolute most favorite Christmas presents of all time. But my parents always said NO when I'd ask for a horse, saying that they were more trouble than useful.

During the summer I often went with my dad to the weekly livestock auction nearby and one time someone was selling a horse. I wanted it so bad! Daddy even bid on it, and I couldn't believe he was doing that! Of course, the bidding went higher than he could pay, so I didn't get the horse. But I saw my dad in a different light after that day.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 AM

I remember as a kid, my family would go to the drive
in movies my mom would make popcorn and put in the big brown paper sacks from the store and we would take soda and we would play on the playground before the movie started. Thanks for the memories
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Dee

Sundays spent with my grandparents.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Summers in Calif. my 3 brothers and sister played outside making roads in the dirt and little towns till Mom called us in to take a bath and go to bed.

Sunday nights when we were younger, we didn't have a tv and after our baths we would go to Grandma's , she lived next door and watched Ed Sullivan and ate popcorn.