Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Shipping overseas - anyone have experience? >

Shipping overseas - anyone have experience?

Shipping overseas - anyone have experience?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Yes, I sent Harbor Freight blades to Western Australia. I followed the rules set by my postmaster and did declare the content as required by Customs regulations. I would not have done otherwise.

It took a full 3 weeks but the member who asked me to send them did not seem to want to wait. She had decided they were lost and I needed to replace them. If Customs did not like what was in the package, I felt I would have been notified me and they would have been returned.

Patience is needed on both ends of international shipments. It is not going to be speedy.

June in Cincinnati
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM

the buyer may wind up paying more for the shipping than for the machine. For instance, 20 lbs (that would be a very light machine) to France via UPS is about $200. and that does not include brokerage and customs fees.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM
QKO

We've shipped hundreds of orders to international locations all over the world. Almost all of it was fabric and kits, and they travel well. Out of many hundreds of overseas orders we've shipped, only 2 have been lost. (knock on wood).

You can probably pack the machine well enough that it can be shipped via USPS Priority mail, providing you use proper cushioning material and bracing, and a good heavy box. You can use any box for priority mail, it doesn't have to be supplied by the post office. I'd probably think about using a 'box within a box' packing if the machine doesn't have a case.

Priority mail to France for a 20 pound package is about $83 and 500 dollars insurance about $6. For a 30 pound package postage is about 110 dollars and insurance about the same.

France will probably charge your buyer customs duties on the way in. Not sure what they would be.

DO NOT mark the package as a gift. It is merchandise and you are selling it. I would mark it as "Other" and put Sewing Machine in the explanation and the declaration. Declare the value of the machine as the price you sold it for, or fair market value.

To mark the package as gift when it is merchandise is, in fact illegal under customs laws, not just unethical (although it's also that). You wouldn't save any fees by marking it as gift anyway, your buyer would.

Shipping with USPS has the advantage of avoiding brokerage fees that you or your customer will get sending with UPS, so it's a lot cheaper.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM

good luck. we have family in ausatralia and it cost us for 17 pounds for one box 140 dollars to ship and i had to pack it. then it took three month to get it there. not worth it but is is family so we do it. good luck dear