Shoveler's Anonomous

Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 AM

First, not one snow shovel has been designed or invented that will fit my hands and will be comfortable for me to shovel snow. Therefore, I am excused from the job of shoveling snow.
Husband has a snow plow to clean the snow from his business, but it is really hard to get it to our house, size is the problem. He did once last year, and since our driveway is literally the shortest driveway in our "metropolis" (maybe 3 cars end to end and 4 cars wide), 3 drags and he was done! He said it took him longer to navigate home than it took to drag the driveway, not worth it got him.
My next door neighbor, bless his heart, shovels and then sweeps his driveway. Not a flake is left. I think I saw a flame thrower in his garage yesterday. Can't wait to see that baby in full gear!
Mother Nature brought it and she can take care of it. Besides in our area of Ohio, one day it is 20 degrees and the next day can be 40. Why waste time shoveling when the weather will take care of it, eventually.
I overlook my driveway from my sewing room, it looks lovely with the sun glistening off the icy crust on the snow!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

DH keeps the walkway to our front door free of ice and snow if we ever have any. Every few years we may have a day or two of snow. It goes away fast. Sometimes by nightfall on the day it snows.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Shoveling snow????? Oh yah, I think I remember that!! I grew up in Iowa and MN so did my share of shoveling, always kept the driveway and sidewalks clean. Moved to the country and had a .5 mile long drive....yikes!! I have been looking for snow ever since we moved to Florida but have found nothing to shovel yet!! Yes, I do miss the snow, am I crazy??!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I always had to shovel for the school kids and the mailman. or get a ticket. and I didn't mind. much!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Red face A true snowbird

Originally Posted by mjmachin View Post
Shoveling snow????? Oh yah, I think I remember that!! I grew up in Iowa and MN so did my share of shoveling, always kept the driveway and sidewalks clean. Moved to the country and had a .5 mile long drive....yikes!! I have been looking for snow ever since we moved to Florida but have found nothing to shovel yet!! Yes, I do miss the snow, am I crazy??!!!
Maybe you should do the reverse of most people and go north to get your snow break
Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM

I grew up in South Carolina, and it didn't snow every year, but when it did, everything shut down. We moved to North Carolina a few years back, and it rarely snowed there. My in-laws had moved from Massachusetts to Florida. They had not seen snow in over a decade. They came to visit us in NC, and a big snowstorm hit. That was the last time they ever saw snow. It was near Christmas, and my mother-in-law was thrilled. She had emphysema and she could only watch from the window, but it made Christmas magical for her that year. It warms my heart just to remember it. I miss them both so much.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
When we lived in Ohio, we lived in suburbia, and the driveway was manageble, so we usually kept it shoveled like you. When we lived in Massachusetts, we had 2 driveways and at least one was kept shoveled. In Maine, we lived in the city, and when the city plowed, they created a mountain of snow at the edge of our driveway, and the only way to get in and out of the driveway in the winter was to constantly shovel in conjunction with the plow guys. Now we live in New Hampshire in a mountainous area in the woods and our house is on a hill. We have a plow guy that comes, but we have 4 cars, sometimes 5, and it's an ongoing dance all winter long just moving the cars around and shoveling around where the plow guy missed. And if that weren't enough, we have a long front porch and two front doors and walkways, and then there is the back door and the back porch. We shovel the high traffic areas and put down sand, but it is a huge chore. Our main goal is to prevent accidents and maintain access in and out of the driveway. Orangeroom, if you lived in my house, you would have to quit your job just to be the shoveler that kept everything tidy all the time, because it's nearly impossible. I do admit that I welcome any help that mother nature gives. But if the snow melts, when the slush refreezes, we have a virtual ice skating rink in the driveway, and that can be a small nightmare. However, when it snows here, my yard is like a winter wonderland it is so beautiful! From the perspective of a kid who grew up in the south, I am still in awe of the winter in New England.
i only got to live in the east for nine years, 3 in pensylvania ..our hillside home with horse shoe drive and parking and garden ..all as you describe ..i fell in love. not with having to hike down the drive in afternoon and break the plow berm out w an ax so hubs could get home from work, or the shoveling up hill as i walked in deep snow at side of drive because the ice under the snow was to slick to stand on ...but the yard and the surrounding woods were so breathtakingly beautiful, the snow covered branches decorated with those bright red cardinals ..the icesickles from the maple trees that local taught my son & i to enjoy as a winter bonus treat ...i am still telling friends that hubs drug me kicking & screaming 3000 miles across the country to our next job assignment!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:13 AM

We've had three snowstorms in the last week. The first one, I heard a loud noise outside and it was my cross the street neighbor with his tractor and plow doing the driveway. The next day it was my next door neighbor with his snow blower. And yesterday my DH didn't have to work so he shoveled. Good times!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

My Drive is also what I call a fat quarter mile and my two neighbors jump at the sight of snow. They both love to plow so I am never in need of doing the long part. I do use a big snow blower for the part near the house. Have to get the garage open so cars can move. A jeep did slide down the hill once when the drive was a sheet of ice. The only thing that stopped it was a huge patch of bamboo at the bottom.

I also shovel paths for my little dog to run around on.

Last edited by ube quilting; 12-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Our driveway is 100 plus feet long......we are in our 80's......thank the Lord for snow plow service.