Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly Misconceptions:

I used to think cartoons were people in costumes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    :shock:

ok ... NOW i understand the time honored tradition among mothers of urging the kids to always wear clean undies.

:lol:
    My mother used to tell me to do that in case I was in an accident and had to go to the hospital. I told her in that case it would be better if I didn't wear any---that way they wouldn't have to cut them off of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    My mom said the same thing....I told her that it wouldn't matter...if I was in an accident that it was gonna scare the s*** out of me anyway!

I did get hit by a car, into the path of an oncoming truck. I was 15. My face was pretty smashed up, broken leg and hip, ribs and shoulder, and my mothers first question: You weren't wearing those yellow undies, were you? The undies in question had WOW embroidered on the rear end. And I still have not let her live this down, 30 years later.
    My silly misconception: too much TV will make your eyes square. My neighbour had square glasses, and he would nod wisely when Mum or Dad said this.

My grandma used to tell me that if you ate raw cookie dough, you would get worms. After while, I figured out that she just didn't want me to eat the cookie dough.

OMG you guys are so funny lol Ok, here's a good one. And this one is from my husband, a grown man! I sometimes eat strange "healthy" things, lol, like sprouts, yummy. Hubby has always turned his nose up at healthy stuff. So a few months ago, he got curious, and pulled my sprouts out of the fridge, and he says to me, uhmmm, these are live, right? I say right. He says, that's why they're healthy, right? I say right. Then he looks at me and says, but if they're live, and i eat them, wont they keep growing in my stomache????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously! lol lol

I had always thought that everyone always wanted to do their best, lived by the Golden Rule, and all strangers are friends that we never met yet.......

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I'm still wondering who's looking through that little red/black "eye" to know when you stand up so that they know when to push the flusher. LOL
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My mother used to tell us those white specks on your fingernails represented the lies you told. When she suspected us of lying she asked us to hold out our hands.

My heritage is from Italy and I asked my father when we could go visit and he said when they built a bridge. My elem school teacher once asked where in the world we would love to go and I told her we were going to Italy when they built a bridge. She laughed and laughed and when I got home I repeated that story to my father who laughed as well. It wasn't until years later I realized what I had said. :oops:

my kids were honestly upset at me because I took them to a 5&10cent store. They came out and said"mom, nothing in there was 5 or 10 cents.dahh"....

When I was little I deposited my coin collection into the bank thinking it was "safe" there. Of course my collection was gone! (The owner of the bank was a coin collector - I bet he was happy - I had OLD coins in very, very good condition)

I also thought that if someone said "I'll call you for lunch" or something like that, that people actually mean it. I mean it but I've found others don't.

Oh my gosh some of these are so FuNnY! Loved reading them...LOL!
    My hubby thought that if you went backwards on a sewing machine it would take the stitches out.

When I was 8, and it was a winter day, I thought if everybody on the planet came outside and exhaled, that it would warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    A couple of misconceptions I used to have:

That celery and rhubarb were related because we ate only the stalks and the stalks are stringy.

That when we deposited money in a bank, we would get the very same money back.

Do any of you have any?
    Let's see, of the 3, celery, rhubarb, and money in the bank, I can answer Yes.
    I do have celery

Why do we say plan ahead instead of just plan?
    We don't plan behind.

When cows laugh too hard does milk come out of their noses?

My DD came crying to me when younger because someone told her that she looked like me. Told her that she did, she got very upset telling me that she didn't look like me because she didn't have "gray" hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    OMG you guys are so funny lol Ok, here's a good one. And this one is from my husband, a grown man! I sometimes eat strange "healthy" things, lol, like sprouts, yummy. Hubby has always turned his nose up at healthy stuff. So a few months ago, he got curious, and pulled my sprouts out of the fridge, and he says to me, uhmmm, these are live, right? I say right. He says, that's why they're healthy, right? I say right. Then he looks at me and says, but if they're live, and i eat them, wont they keep growing in my stomache????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously! lol lol
    Tell me this is not true! I mean about sprouts, not about them growing in your dh's stomach

:lol:

I had to put a cleaner "nice" nightgown on my mother and make her bed before she would let me call the paramedics to take her to the hospital. She was having knee problems and could not walk - not life threatening - but, please!!! They don't care if your bed is made and an 88 year old woman in an imperfect older nightgown is not important

I think we all remember the P.I.E. trucks we all thought were loaded with pie's :_

I always called brussel sprouts little cabbages and thought that they were just baby cabbages that did not get to grow.
    Still love the little things.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was showing my 4 1/2 year old grand daughter pictures of me when I was younger and my hair was black. She said "That's not you, your hair isn't black, it's white!!!" I forgot that she has never seen me with dark hair!!! So I had to explain that my hair hasn't always been silver!! lol :lol: :lol:

I'm sort of thick headed, anyway. I always take the literal translation. My dad was a lumbering quiet man. My mom was a little quick mite and she chattered all the time. Her mother and sister would say, she is going to talk herself to death. She was making applesauce and she would talk through her instructions as she went.. She talked to the Watkins man, telephone, neighbors everywhere, Lawww, she talked even to herself. I asked her quietly if she would mind not talking so much !!!! Landing on yer backsides ain't funny. I tried to explain that I wanted her to live. She told Gran that I was fey....eh? Aye, the wee twit was a bit fey! It was quite a while before I could explain it all. She still didn't believe me, she said I took long enough to think it up. If I were to take that long in answering some man to marry him, I'd be in the long rocker. My Daddy lived a good while longer than she and he never did say alot. He would say, "she'll tell you." and thumb toward Mom.

Blessings,
    Ruth

That's so funny. My little granddaughter thinks her Nana lives in a computer screen, because we use Skype to visit. When she wakes up in the morning, she takes my daughter by the hand and leads her to the computer, saying "Nana, Nana!" I love it!

this isn't a misconception - this is a conception.

when our kids were small we went camping a lot. after a shower i wore a long loose-skirted dress with no undies. it was summer, right. it embarrassed my daughter to tears. i explained to her - and this is the conception - that no one would ever know unless they turned me upside down. :roll:

When I was little I thought that as long as my mom had checks, she had money!

Funny, isn't it, but a lot of people these days think if they have credit/debit cards, they have money. Our kids have grown up watching us charge things, so I guess, to some extent, that's natural. Somebody along the way forgot to teach them the reality, though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast