Sister Wives

Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM

yes, I watch.... At first I said I wasn't going to, but one night I watched in and now I too find it fascinating. The past few though, have been reruns. I did see the new one where they decided to relocate, but haven't seen any news ones since
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Is this a reality show 'spin' on Big Love? Just watched the series end last weekend. Didn't personally agree with the sharing of the man and scheduling time thing. Still seems the same as man having a mistress/affair- just not everything is out in the open with all involved.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Nope.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 AM

I can stand about one segement and the first commercial I flipping channels. Last night one episode they were talking about how tight money is. I remember Kate Gossilin used to complain about money and you know they're getting paid to do the show.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't watch it anymore because the new time this season is the same time as Army Wives I think. No, I don't have a DVR to record. It would just be one more thing I would have to learn how to work.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Will I open a can of worms if I ask what right does the government have to say that polygamy is wrong?
I live in Arizona where polygamy has been a huge problem in certain areas. Most of the boys are pushed out of their communities when they become adults since the older men don't want any competition for the women. This has been a major issue since these poor boys have no idea how to function in the "real" world, and no support system. The girls are often married off at a very young age to much older men and have no say in the matter.

There is often benefits fraud, and I believe this family is being investigated though it is not clear that there is any wrong doing from that point of view in this particular case.

The family in Sister Wives actually seems comparatively normal. They live in a typical urban area, have regular jobs, and appear to have chosen their lifestyle voluntarily.

The known polygamist communities in Arizona, on the other hand, tend to keep very much to themselves. One major problem used to be that the law enforcement officers were also polygamists so many abuses went unpunished. I'm not sure how much, if at all, that has changed in recent years.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

I agree with all of what you say above.
My thing is they are all 4 so enamored with him, like he is god like "little g".

My husband has enough to do to keep up with our family and children... how do you meet the emotional needs of each woman, I think they are being cheated...;(

And maybe I'm a germ freek but I couldn't handle thinking of all the germs passed when he kisses each one good bye.
and all the other things they share! YUCK!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

thats why I dont watch "reality "shows,why on earth would you want to put your business or behavior out on tv for the entire world to see.It ain't nobodys businees but your own and I just as soon keep it that way.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Originally Posted by purplemem
Will I open a can of worms if I ask what right does the government have to say that polygamy is wrong?
I live in Arizona where polygamy has been a huge problem in certain areas. Most of the boys are pushed out of their communities when they become adults since the older men don't want any competition for the women. This has been a major issue since these poor boys have no idea how to function in the "real" world, and no support system. The girls are often married off at a very young age to much older men and have no say in the matter.

There is often benefits fraud, and I believe this family is being investigated though it is not clear that there is any wrong doing from that point of view in this particular case.

The family in Sister Wives actually seems comparatively normal. They live in a typical urban area, have regular jobs, and appear to have chosen their lifestyle voluntarily.

The known polygamist communities in Arizona, on the other hand, tend to keep very much to themselves. One major problem used to be that the law enforcement officers were also polygamists so many abuses went unpunished. I'm not sure how much, if at all, that has changed in recent years.
You are so right! There was an article on those boys in time or newsweek about 5 years ago and it was very saud how those boys are treated
Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by cizzors
I watch and agree, no sharing BUT.....

Showing my ignorance here. He is legally married to the first one. The other three are the cake and icing. Not understanding the law, isn't this their private life? Why is this not seen as him having a wife and the wife agreeing to him having 3 live-in girlfriends? Yeah, he is re-populating the world. But isn't that a private matter? As far as I know, he is not claiming the "wives" as dependants so what laws are they actually breaking?

Like I said, I would never share, but how is this different from a guy having a mistress who doesn't live with him vs. a "wife" who does and the real wife doesn't mind? Educate me.
Yes, he is legally married to the first wife, but not the others. I ask the same questions.
Thinking the same thing ???