Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139

Thread: Sister Wives

  1. #1
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Anybody else watching? I find it absolutely fascinating!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member debp33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    655
    I watch, too.

  3. #3
    Super Member 0tis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,671
    Yes, I watch it too - I also find it fascinating.

  4. #4
    Super Member lovingmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,907
    Blog Entries
    8
    No not me. If I'm not mistaken, it's the series where he has more than one wife. (She comes with a bonus package, her sisters are included too).

    I usually like to share, but not my hubby, here I am very selfish.

  5. #5
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    I don't....I do NOT want to encourage anyone who is not abiding by the law.....

  6. #6
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama
    No not me. If I'm not mistaken, it's the series where he has more than one wife. (She comes with a bonus package, her sisters are included too).
    They aren't actual sisters (at least not this family). It's just the term the wives use for each other.

  7. #7
    Celeste2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5
    I watch...but it's a guilty pleasure for sure. I still don't get what's in it for the women.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cizzors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    580
    I watch and agree, no sharing BUT.....

    Showing my ignorance here. He is legally married to the first one. The other three are the cake and icing. Not understanding the law, isn't this their private life? Why is this not seen as him having a wife and the wife agreeing to him having 3 live-in girlfriends? Yeah, he is re-populating the world. But isn't that a private matter? As far as I know, he is not claiming the "wives" as dependants so what laws are they actually breaking?

    Like I said, I would never share, but how is this different from a guy having a mistress who doesn't live with him vs. a "wife" who does and the real wife doesn't mind? Educate me.

  9. #9
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    I watch and agree, no sharing BUT.....

    Showing my ignorance here. He is legally married to the first one. The other three are the cake and icing. Not understanding the law, isn't this their private life? Why is this not seen as him having a wife and the wife agreeing to him having 3 live-in girlfriends? Yeah, he is re-populating the world. But isn't that a private matter? As far as I know, he is not claiming the "wives" as dependants so what laws are they actually breaking?

    Like I said, I would never share, but how is this different from a guy having a mistress who doesn't live with him vs. a "wife" who does and the real wife doesn't mind? Educate me.
    Yes, he is legally married to the first wife, but not the others. I ask the same questions.

  10. #10
    Super Member purplemem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Misssissippi
    Posts
    3,303
    Blog Entries
    1
    Will I open a can of worms if I ask what right does the government have to say that polygamy is wrong?

  11. #11
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    yes, I watch.... At first I said I wasn't going to, but one night I watched in and now I too find it fascinating. The past few though, have been reruns. I did see the new one where they decided to relocate, but haven't seen any news ones since

  12. #12
    Mimito2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge TN
    Posts
    883
    Is this a reality show 'spin' on Big Love? Just watched the series end last weekend. Didn't personally agree with the sharing of the man and scheduling time thing. Still seems the same as man having a mistress/affair- just not everything is out in the open with all involved.

  13. #13
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,899
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nope.

  14. #14
    Super Member mimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    chesterfield, mi
    Posts
    1,620
    I can stand about one segement and the first commercial I flipping channels. Last night one episode they were talking about how tight money is. I remember Kate Gossilin used to complain about money and you know they're getting paid to do the show.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    422
    I don't watch it anymore because the new time this season is the same time as Army Wives I think. No, I don't have a DVR to record. It would just be one more thing I would have to learn how to work.

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Will I open a can of worms if I ask what right does the government have to say that polygamy is wrong?
    I live in Arizona where polygamy has been a huge problem in certain areas. Most of the boys are pushed out of their communities when they become adults since the older men don't want any competition for the women. This has been a major issue since these poor boys have no idea how to function in the "real" world, and no support system. The girls are often married off at a very young age to much older men and have no say in the matter.

    There is often benefits fraud, and I believe this family is being investigated though it is not clear that there is any wrong doing from that point of view in this particular case.

    The family in Sister Wives actually seems comparatively normal. They live in a typical urban area, have regular jobs, and appear to have chosen their lifestyle voluntarily.

    The known polygamist communities in Arizona, on the other hand, tend to keep very much to themselves. One major problem used to be that the law enforcement officers were also polygamists so many abuses went unpunished. I'm not sure how much, if at all, that has changed in recent years.

  17. #17
    Super Member suezquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cashton WI
    Posts
    1,149
    I agree with all of what you say above.
    My thing is they are all 4 so enamored with him, like he is god like "little g".

    My husband has enough to do to keep up with our family and children... how do you meet the emotional needs of each woman, I think they are being cheated...;(

    And maybe I'm a germ freek but I couldn't handle thinking of all the germs passed when he kisses each one good bye.
    and all the other things they share! YUCK!

  18. #18
    Super Member azdesertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    tucson Az
    Posts
    1,124
    thats why I dont watch "reality "shows,why on earth would you want to put your business or behavior out on tv for the entire world to see.It ain't nobodys businees but your own and I just as soon keep it that way.

  19. #19
    Super Member azdesertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    tucson Az
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Will I open a can of worms if I ask what right does the government have to say that polygamy is wrong?
    I live in Arizona where polygamy has been a huge problem in certain areas. Most of the boys are pushed out of their communities when they become adults since the older men don't want any competition for the women. This has been a major issue since these poor boys have no idea how to function in the "real" world, and no support system. The girls are often married off at a very young age to much older men and have no say in the matter.

    There is often benefits fraud, and I believe this family is being investigated though it is not clear that there is any wrong doing from that point of view in this particular case.

    The family in Sister Wives actually seems comparatively normal. They live in a typical urban area, have regular jobs, and appear to have chosen their lifestyle voluntarily.

    The known polygamist communities in Arizona, on the other hand, tend to keep very much to themselves. One major problem used to be that the law enforcement officers were also polygamists so many abuses went unpunished. I'm not sure how much, if at all, that has changed in recent years.
    You are so right! There was an article on those boys in time or newsweek about 5 years ago and it was very saud how those boys are treated

  20. #20
    Super Member champagnebubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greenfield. Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    I watch and agree, no sharing BUT.....

    Showing my ignorance here. He is legally married to the first one. The other three are the cake and icing. Not understanding the law, isn't this their private life? Why is this not seen as him having a wife and the wife agreeing to him having 3 live-in girlfriends? Yeah, he is re-populating the world. But isn't that a private matter? As far as I know, he is not claiming the "wives" as dependants so what laws are they actually breaking?

    Like I said, I would never share, but how is this different from a guy having a mistress who doesn't live with him vs. a "wife" who does and the real wife doesn't mind? Educate me.
    Yes, he is legally married to the first wife, but not the others. I ask the same questions.
    Thinking the same thing ???

  21. #21
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,069
    If polygamy is the "right " thing to do in these folks' eyes, then why are there equal numbers of M & F being born? If God wanted us all to do this, there should be about 3 to 1 ratio girls to boys.

    IMHO, just an excuse for some over-sexed guy. Sad that he can get women to buy into it.

  22. #22
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    Wow, this is one I've never even heard of! Would like to catch it at least once so I know what everyone is talking about.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    181
    Oddly enough, all the wives in this show seem intelligent, articulate, sensible, great moms and secure in their individuality. What I don't get is their attraction to this egocentric, obnoxious guy who makes each of them miserable and jealous in turn and yet has the complete adoration and availability of four women. Somehow apparently the women have all bought into this situation. Is he going to continue to adding new wives, "courting" them, as he calls it before forcing the current women to adjust to another disturbance in their family dynamic? It's sad to watch, really, and the guy himself is too irritating for words.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Hosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    992
    I think this show is demeaning to women and anyone who does som.ething like this must have very low self esteem

  25. #25
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    I watch and agree, no sharing BUT.....

    Showing my ignorance here. He is legally married to the first one. The other three are the cake and icing. Not understanding the law, isn't this their private life? Why is this not seen as him having a wife and the wife agreeing to him having 3 live-in girlfriends? Yeah, he is re-populating the world. But isn't that a private matter? As far as I know, he is not claiming the "wives" as dependants so what laws are they actually breaking?

    Like I said, I would never share, but how is this different from a guy having a mistress who doesn't live with him vs. a "wife" who does and the real wife doesn't mind? Educate me.
    The fact that he "marries" them all makes it illegal. He is committing "bigamy" of a sorts. Bigamy IS against the law and from what I understand, the law IS looking into this...probably some fine line that prevents him from going to jail. The law against poligamy was enacted many years ago -- doesn't matter if we think that the government shouldn't interfere in their private life or not, it IS against the law! The same can be said about same sex marriage. It's not our business, but the law is the law. one way or another. Now I'll expand on what I said earlier....I don't want to know if they live together or are married, I don't want to know the private lives of anyone else.....just let me quilt................... :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.