Smart Car

Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

You know you guys brought up a really good point, think about the 16 yo in a SUV texting and not paying attention to the road. Have one of them run you over in that car and your history! You might be the safest driver in the world but its the other guy you have to watch out for.

Billy
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Yes, you definitely have to watch out for the other guy. In my accident a car was to the right of me turning. The driver pulling out of that street couldn't see past the car and pulled right out onto the highway in front of me. There was nothing I could do. I was doing about 55-60 miles an hour. I swerved and luckily I got the side of her car, near the back. Otherwise I would have hit her directly on the driver's door. She could have been killed. My air bag didn't open and the seat belt fractured my sternum. She wasn't injured. We had a van and I had a Buick.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM

There was a man where I worked that bought a smart car, and would tell us daily about how great they were and how good they were on gas. He shut up when a "Larger" man told him, that he was going to get one and put it in the back of his truck in case he ever had a flat, he could just pull the smart car out and drive that home. Note: He got rid of it after a year. More of a mini cooper person myself, but that will never happen.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM

I do not want to be the smallest car on the freeway. Semi's can not see you or for that matter large cars can not see you. I had a VW Cabriolet Conv. but would not drive it on the freeway, not enough protection. If everyone got a small car it would be fine, til then I'll drive my mini van.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 AM

ur funny stuff it in :D :D
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

The next time you're at a stop light in your small cars, take a look at the guy next to you in the large SUV or pickup...check out where that bumper of his is in comparison to your head...

I'll keep my Trailblazer!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Kas

To me they are not much safer looking than a motorcycle. I love riding behind my Hubby, but you are a sitting duck out there on the road. So many people are just crazy and not paying attention.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
I wonder how they handle in the snow and icy conditions? They scare me...
They scare me too. After Dad had his minivan totalled by a garbage truck this winter and he lived through it, we realize how valuable protection is. I call them a "cremation urn on wheels". Just my 2 cents. They are cute, I'll give them that.

piney
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Love your golden oldie! By the way, so good to hear from you! Hope all is good with you and that you are making progress in getting well. Prayers are going your way, big time.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM

DH and I were in a bad accident in a VW Rabbit - rearended by an 18 wheel logging truck at speed on the interstate. Went off the road airborne - hit a couple of trees- landed upside down. We both walked away.
I had always thought that little car would be creamed in a wreck, I was surprised at how well it held up.