Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
SMART fortwo car...do you have one? >

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 PM

I have an aversion to being the smallest car on the road. I would only buy a small car if everyone else did. Which may happen if gas keeps rising. Yyou know how Americans love big. I am going to be renting a car in Wales and France and chose a small car because that is what most drive there. Also the gas is expensive, I'm told.

I think the car is cute and it has a lot of safety features, but I would check the safety ratings. I did that before I bought my Honda Odyssey.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM

I live in Owasso, OK (near Tulsa) and we have several in town. they are cute but don't look safe at all. Maybe to run to the grocery store (nearby) but no way would I drive to Tulsa in one!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Susan_Sews
We traded my Expedition for a Toyota Prius. It truly gets 50 miles to the gallon in town driving which is where I put most of the miles on the car anyway. I love it. High way miles are still better than the big SUV.
That was going to be my suggestion..........although there's another consideration with the hybrids....what you save on gas be sure to put into a piggybank for when you have to replace the battery............anywhere from $4,000 to $6,000 I'm told. (Don't quote me on the actual cost, but it is expensive...... and there are more than one in these cars.

Also, keep in mind that there is talk about a "mile tax" on autos....I have no clue as to how it's supposed to be calculated, but unless we scream and stomp they'll try to make up for the reduction in revenue from gas taxes (since we won't be able to afford to drive) by charging us for when we do drive. :shock:
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 AM

I heard a commercial yesterday for the Chevy Cruze and that it is suppose to get 42 miles per gal. You would have to verify that with a dealer. It is a very nice looking car.
Also check with your insurance company, and see what they think of the cars and safety. They can also give you an estimate of cost of insurance for that vehicle.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 AM

I bought the new Hyundai Elantra. 40mpg highway and it does get that for me. In town I get about 25-30. Lots of stop and go in our town. Comfortable car. Lot's of head room and back seat room. Trunk's big too. It's got some get up and go when you need it. They look really sporty. I like the swooch's in the front and rear lights. I only paid $19000+ out the door in California.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Concerned about the small size and safety. My husband says "yeah it's a smart car until it meets a Suburban."
Old 05-07-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't have one, but I have ridden in one. A co-worker bought it. It is roomier than you would think and seemed to have enough power. She is a car freak, drives real fast, and she didn't seem to be unhappy with the acceleration.. I didn't feel cramped in the passenger's seat but there is ot too much room for groceries. There is a hatch with a small cargo area.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Curiously, one of the firemen in the station nearby has one!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM

No Smart Car, but I have a Honda Civic Hybrid and get 41 mpg combined driving. I'll never buy anything but a hybrid now! I bought it in 2005 and haven't ever regretted it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 AM

We have looked for sometime and finall drove 2 and we loved them both but the hot rod one was the best of course LOL
We are really looking to get one down the road and I love the green...
ConnieF and we see a lot here and even on the freeways