Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
SMART fortwo car...do you have one? >

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

I have one and I love it dearly! Every time I look out my window and see it or go out to it, it makes me giggle, I get great milage, much, much, much, better than either of our trucks, which I can use for long trips, but for city driving I love my smart car!!!! It has more room in the front seats than my old VW bug did. And I do not feel at all cramped in it. Hubby was against them, but ehen he rode home in mine when I bought it and he said "not bad at all!! Has a lot more room that I thought" Test drive and see what YOU think, good luck
Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I did not read through all the replies Jaci so if someone already mentioned this ignore my reply. The only complaint I've heard in our area is that in the winter on snow covered roads they don't have much traction. Some people find it difficult to drive in the snow because the narrower wheel base doesn't fit in the grooves that the regular traffic creates. They constantly have to cut their own path and it can be slippery. I can totally see owning one where there isn't much snow or ice though.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Where do you put the groceries in a Smart?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM

I shop once a month, at Sam's and I can put all my groceries in the back,on the seat,and on the floor of the passenger side, you can get a lot more in them than one would think!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 AM

Nope; and I wouldn't. I want some protection around me. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion which I get 24 MPG around town and that good for me. Last year we had snow and ice and someone thought he could drive one of those in it; he hit the ice and litterly slid straight across 4 lanes of traffic up over the curb and straight into the cement wall. To say the least it was a lot flatter than it already is.
I can see getting something besides the van; there are so many cars out there that are safer to drive and some that have dual fuel besides the ones that also use electricity that also offer some protection between you and the what's on the outside of the car. Rather that be a stone wall or an on coming car.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM

I would be afraid of it in snow, ice, rain, high winds, etc. I see quite a few on the roads here in Michigan when the weather is nice but I haven't seen any when it gets nasty! To me, they look like a computer mouse! I see that you run between clients, do any of them live on dirt roads? I'm not so sure how these would take bumps in the road. Back in the old days, my ex and I did paper routes with a Chevette...being heavier people, that poor car frame was bent from the dirt roads and us within it's first year. Also, do you have to take things with you? There wouldn't be much room to take too much. And, what would happen if you found something really neat at a thrift store or something...where would you put it??!!?? Just my thoughts!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM

No, I don't have a Smartcar. There are a few in our area, but they are just too small and offer no protection. Sure, they save lots of money on gas, but what's the point if you're maimed or killed in an accident.

I'll stick with my Ford pickup.