SNAKE!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 AM

Another reason to live in Newfoundland... no snakes, wolves,raccoons or skunks!

Good luck with your snake-hunting!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Leota my brother lived in Ok for 30yrs he said they[BRS] are a good snake to have around they kill poisenous snakes and they make a real nice pet The killing bad snakes is good the pet part ain't my idea of a pet I have a set idea as to what a pet is=4 legs and a fur coat
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 AM

I don’t blame you at all, I’d do the same thing!! DH & I moved to FL from CT in 96. In all my life I had only seen 2 garter snakes. Here in FL it’s the norm to see black snakes and I’ve never gotten used to it. We see black snakes frequently from spring through November.

I used to keep a plant at the front door on a plant stand. It had one of those little plastic plant hangers to carry it from the top. It started to rain and I told DH I was going to bring it to the front yard so it could get rained on. He said he would do it and carried it to the front yard … a pygmy rattler jumped out. They are aggressive and fast little poisonous snakes but fortunately for DH he moves faster than they do.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM

As long as I see it first, I am okay. Otherwise, it is dead, for scaring me.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Snakes wouldn't scare me half as much as a tornado, I'd cuddle right up with him before I'd face another tornado !
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
I went to clean out my storm shelter and there are two snake skins and a live snake in there....
No way am I going down into that tiny room with a snake.... I don't care that I have identified it as a Black Rat Snake... non-poisonous etc....
I have put a 2x4 board "ramp" for it to crawl out on it's own.
Which is worse? A bad storm requiring you to run into the shelter or a snake? Hmmm. Makes one wonder.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kappy
That's why I'm glad I live where I live...no poisonous ones!
Are you sure? Timber rattlesnakes are known to be in Minnesota and some think they range as far as Canada.

Snakes don't bother me in the least if I know they are non-venomous. I can handle them and pick them up no problem. Spiders on the other hand....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I would never go in there again!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

In my previous home we had an outbuilding which DH converted into my quilt studio. I had to persuade him to put in a half (maybe a quarter bath) and it made a great guest room. It had electric heat as well. Everything was wonderful until the mice moved in. Since mice don't have bones, just cartilage, they can get almost two dimensional to get where they want to be. They not only used my stash as a communal toilet they loved to use batting for that purpose as well as nesting material. We set mouse traps in the stinking attic where they seemed to be nesting and pooping the most but it was so shallow that we could only reach a small part if it through the little trap door. Then I was treated to the scent of decomposing mice. Then one day a very long rat snake was seen slithering up the down spout and apparently found a way in. NO MORE MICE!! YEAH FOR THE SNAKE!! With the help of two springer spaniels the closet mice were dispatched when I emptied out the boxes of fabric and batting. Eventually we and time got the stink cleared up. A year or two later I saw my friend making his way up the downspout with another, smaller one of his kind. OH GOOD I thought. He's brought home a bride.

The snakes were very discreet (read that shy), quiet and utterly noiseless. I am ignorant of snake toiletry habits but never smelled anything from then and no house guest ever knew they were up there. I'd had one guest come to in the night with a mouse running across her face before my wonderful tenant moved in.

Rattle snakes give you fair warning. It's the copperheads around here that I fear.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 AM

I don't care what kind of snake it is........I hate them all and I am gone if there's one around. i don't know why GOD even made them, except for the devil. And I hate him also. I'm in Fl. for winter and when ever I go out, it's straight down the middle of the road, with a flash lite in my hand. And I don't go round digging in any place, including flower pots. I mind my own business.