Snow storms.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
Hope you are warm and toasty now! When the power goes out for more than 4 hours I am useless. I pile the quilts on and crawl in my feather bed with a book and an oil lamp.
Yes, we have power now. I am also useless without power, I think I will cook something, then realize my stove is electric, etc. And if the power is off during the evening hours, I am in bed by dark. Kerosene lamps just aren't bright enough and don't generate heat (during the cold weather).

Anyway, all is back to normal now.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:08 AM

Hope everyone in the U.S. stays safe & warm during this storm. Sounds pretty scary but often times it doesn't meet the predictions & I hope & pray, that is the case this time.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:55 AM

It finally stopped snowing -- we have about 12 inches with snowdrifts reaching 2 feet plus. We didn't loose power because KU trimmed all trees near power lines after the fiasco of 2009. We lost TV service because the dish was covered with snow yesterday -- I braved the drifts and swept the dish clear and sanity was restored.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 AM

We are now dealing with the aftermath of all the sleet, ice and snow that has fallen the last two days. The roads are a sheet of ice and the governor is still asking people to stay home. Of course the grocery store doesn't care about employee safety. DH got a text last night that it's work as usual today. He left home at 5:30am and the usual 10 minute drive took him an hour. He called to let me know he made it safely and said it was the worst he'd ever seen. He's gone into work no matter how bad the weather for 45 years!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 AM

It snowed 28" here. This was our first snow of the season. It has been a very warm winter to this point. It was a blinding whiteout blizzard yesterday... the worst I've ever seen.

An angel with a snow blower came to my house yesterday. The halo was hard to see under his hood, but I could see it shining through. He literally spent hours at my house. He wouldn't take anything for his labor so I'm making him a cake today.

Unfortunately, the streets have not been plowed. Once they do, I will probably be stuck with a mountain of snow at the end of the driveway. I hope God sends his angel back!

It's very quiet in the neighborhood...
Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
It snowed 28" here. This was our first snow of the season. It has been a very warm winter to this point. It was a blinding whiteout blizzard yesterday... the worst I've ever seen.

An angel with a snow blower came to my house yesterday. The halo was hard to see under his hood, but I could see it shining through. He literally spent hours at my house. He wouldn't take anything for his labor so I'm making him a cake today.

Unfortunately, the streets have not been plowed. Once they do, I will probably be stuck with a mountain of snow at the end of the driveway. I hope God sends his angel back!

It's very quiet in the neighborhood...
I bet he will after your cake is delivered. So glad I live in FL now, cold now as can be but no snow. Born in Que, Canada and grew up in Buffalo, NY and then Canton NY so I know all about snow, and the fact I do not like it any more. To old now. Be safe everyone.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM

We're mostly dug out from the almost 3 ft of snow here. 3 out 4 cars out of the driveway and its been plowed. Hoping for some sun melt there this afternoon. The front walks have been shoveled and a path to the hot tub on the back deck. Just wanted to get all the snow off it so the cover didn't break. Hubs gets the bonus in the am of actually being able to get to it. Snow is deeper in the back yard than the 120 lb dog is tall. Leash walking older 85 lb dog as she is getting stuck in the snow in the yard. We never lost power, thankfully. Down side, coulg not get to the LQS yesterday and they decided not to open today. So no backing/binding fabric for the top I just finished. Hopefully they will be open after work tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:56 PM

Carolaiken FYI - just Googled Morning Glory Muffins and pulled up several recipes.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:54 AM
Swap Hosts

We had almost 30" not counting drifts. I was planning on quilting, but then there was that awful white stuff to shovel away. *sigh* Today is another day and I already have a sandwich in my machine.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 AM

We have beautiful sunshine today and it is supposed to get into the 40's. We had sunshine and upper 30's yesterday and the snow is almost off my van, but the snowplows have blocked all the driveways. A couple more days like today and I should be able to get out. I have been mostly knitting but plan to work in my sewing room later today.