Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So disappointed with Dr Phil

I too used to watch him. But haven't for a very long time 'cause his guests/situations are sooooo depressing! Why sit & watch & listen to people with such crazy problems?!!! We need to hear about good stories….,.
    I like Dr Oz, altho he does talk sooo fast.. but he does have some very interesting & helpful hints.. Usually watch Queen Latisia & Katie.
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Exploits clients, unethical.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just can't get over the people through all these years who have aired their dirty laundry. The show itself has become one big infomercial. I usually only have the tv on for background noise. My fur babies like to watch animal planet. I do like to watch the Drs. if it isn't a repeat then I may watch. When they start the Robin informercial, I switch to something else. Like I said it's mostly background noise.

Seems lately the show is all about the same kind of problems. Infidelity, abuse, etc. I used to enjoy the show when they would go in depth with a family and it's problems. Also I would like to see a follow up after the guests have completed their counseling (anger management, etc). If I want to watch the theatrics and grief, I can watch Jerry Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I don't watch it because I never liked using people with real problems for profit.
    I totally agree with Tartan on this one. I haven't watched it in quite some time as I found it started to become like the Jerry Springer show (without the fist fights, at least so far). I think if he truly wants to help people than he should stick with a private practise & not put these poor people (even though they agree to it) on display for the world to watch their pain. IMHO
    Dance like no one is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    He has gone Hollywood. So has Dr. Oz and The Drs. I always enjoyed them all when they were informative. Now I don't bother.
    My thoughts exactly about Dr. Oz, don't watch it at all because it has become an 'info-commercial'. If I want to waste time, it will be gathering information from the posts on the board, things I can actually use.
    Thanks to all who freely share their projects and links, have learned so much from everyone.

We haven't owned a TV for years (well we have one to watch movies on) but the one thing Dr. Phil left with me, was the phrase "how's that workin' for ya?"

When I get all wound up about something I say that phrase to myself and get a much clearer view of drama queen central and always get a laugh on myself.

KalamaQuilts---I learned something from him too. He says there are 2 sides to a pancake, no matter how thin. I think of that when I hear something that kicks in my "judgy-ness". I have to remember there are always two sides to a story, and whoever tells the story spins it in their favor.
    Lori

I just can't imagine who would agree to go on TV to expose their family problems to a national audience !! It seems like some people will do anything for money and notoriety - just look at the Karsashians or Honey Boo boo! Good grief!

Blog Entries
    He went Hollywood a long time ago - I don't watch and haven't for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I just started watching him. He is promoting a lot, including his Dr. on Call thingy. They sent me stuff to be on his show. I didn't want to go. You never know who he's going to turn on. I like the nasty MIL stories. ( I think her name was Galoop or something like that.) Me and my MIL hang out together, so we don't have those problems,
    She was a hoot, finally the daughter divorced the husband and is either remarried or dating someone the mother likes. I can't believe that a daughter would allow her mother to interfere like that. I didn't have a problem with either of my MIL's. They respected my space and I did theirs.
    Debra

Blog Entries
    I just looked up his bio. He is a self serving nasty man.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    He has gone Hollywood. So has Dr. Oz and The Drs. I always enjoyed them all when they were informative. Now I don't bother.
    Yes! I feel the same way. Sad that Dr Oz has turned toward what will up his ratings rather than real health and living. And I quit watching Dr. Phil long time ago for the very reasons mentioned above. Amazing how shamelessly he pushes his family products.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

You never mentioned is son's sponsorship of "The Doctors" TV show. I too was turned off by the promotion of his wife's skin care line. Don't we already have enough celebrities promoting their own beauty products? I seldom watch him but I've seen how they did a makeover on a woman with her products. The same with Dr. Oz--promotes all these things for health, weight loss, etc. and then complains because people are using his name to promote what he has advised using on his show.

Dr. Phil is a UNT graduate and lived and practiced in Dallas before he went Hollywood. I like him and think he's probably a good psychologist. That he wants his whole family involved in his show is his business, but I agree with feffertim: we're already watching a lot of commercials to pay for his show, why should we have to watch in-show commercials, too, that are constructed solely to make him, his wife, and his son even more financially secure? I quit watching a long time ago, in favor of C-Span or news or a movie on TCM.

And, sorry, but I've never liked Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    I agree with your comments. At one time I was a die hard fan and would never ever have missed a show. The show was taped every day just in case something happened that I didn't make it home in time to watch it. However, I stopped watching it when he became the pitch man for all the family businesses and those businesses seemed to become more important than the content of his show.

Why do you think Robbin goes to work with him for every tapping and why do they make such a big deal of leaving the show together?

I'm curious about that, too, wondering if that was his decision or if she is a jealous, possessive wife who insisted on being there. I think it's probably his idea; he seems very family oriented. And of course it's good for his image as a family counselor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
    I love the "Dog and Pony " show at the end as she prances alongside. I also get a large laugh when he utters the "magic words", in a sepulchral voice, "I want to help you". I call him Dr. Pill. So, in other word, I use portions of this show on rare occasion for as laugh or two.
    Or when he says "this is not my first rodeo". He uses that WAY too much.....or used to, when I watched.

Same thing with Dr. Oz - one big infomercial.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Just another "snake oil" salesman.......and to think some follow to the letter!

i don't watch dr. phil. or i don't watch dr. oz they are both quacks....
    ​DEBRA

I agree that the commercials are a bother and especially selling their own products. However the content of his advice is usually right on and I get a lot from it. I think he has done a lot of good for people in crises and probably helped a lot of people who watch and relate with the issue at hand. I know it has helped me.

I thought it was very nice how he leaves the show with her on his arm. He said years ago it would have felt wrong just walking right by her while she was in the audience. I am sure even Dr. Phil has a lot of temptation with other women being he is a high profile person. Having his wife by his side a LOT will keep them both "together". I think it is a smart thing. But I still haven't watched his show in many, many years.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Don't watch it. Could never understand why people would go on TV and air out personal problems. Been married almost 50yrs. Life is full of up's and down's. Talk it out, work it out between the to of you. If you can't then I guess you can go to a priest of counselor. TV is not the place.

Quit watching when he started being too commercial years ago.

Blog Entries
    It's getting to be a lot like Jerry Springer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast