Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts?

My birthday is coming up and I am thinking of asking the family for a kindle. What is your thought on this gadget and which one to get or avoid?

I love mine!

Love mine. Just downloaded 4 more books; 2 were free. I love to read and my house was becoming over run with books (and fabric but that's another story LOL). When I was in high school we read all the classics, but I didn't enjoy them; now I'm re-reading them and love them. I have the cheapest model (non 3G) and haven't had any problems downloading anything.

I got one for Christmas and I love it! Make sure you get the 3G one though, then you can just hit a button on the Kindle, go to the kindle store, hit anoher button and read samples of any book you want...if you like it, you can buy it, right from your Kindle, sitting in your recliner. It is AWESOME! What I love most is you can make the letters as large as you need to see, no eye strain!
    Michelle G. in El Paso

Could anyone share what the cost averages for the downloads?

I have a color Nook and love it. I had the nook but got a color for valentines day..

I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews
    I got one for Christmas and I love it! Make sure you get the 3G one though, then you can just hit a button on the Kindle, go to the kindle store, hit anoher button and read samples of any book you want...if you like it, you can buy it, right from your Kindle, sitting in your recliner. It is AWESOME! What I love most is you can make the letters as large as you need to see, no eye strain!
    Michelle G. in El Paso
    That is good to hear. I am having some issues with reading due to age (47 to be) and was wondering how to kindle worked out with eye strain. Some books I have been avoiding because I need to wear glasses. I am back to where I started as a kid, I want books with big letters. LOL

I love mine! I got one for Christmas and a $25 giftcard for the Amazon store. I have 10 books so far and still have $18 on my giftcard. I have 3 free books and the others I bought. There are tons of books to choose from no matter what you are looking for. I'm sure you will love it!

Blog Entries
    I chose the Nook because it allows me to pull books from the libraries. Kindle uses a different format and you can't do that. More books avail. from Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. Look into it BEFORE you buy.

I received one for Christmas and love it! There are free books to down load. If you want to purchase, they start at 99 cents but if they are recent best sellers, they cost about $13. Last year when our daughter purchased hers, they were closer to $10. There is a way to move a book you have downloaded to another Kindle, sort of like sharing except once you move it to another Kindle, it's gone from yours. I have also found with the smaller screen, I seem to read more thoroughly than with paper books.

Really? You all love it? Am I old or what.... I'm having a hard time with the idea of bonding with a computer screen - I just love the smell and feel of a bound book.... :roll: Maybe I am old.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    Really? You all love it? Am I old or what.... I'm having a hard time with the idea of bonding with a computer screen - I just love the smell and feel of a bound book.... :roll: Maybe I am old.
    I am with you on this one Tina :-D :thumbup: I just cannot see myself curling up on the couch with a "computer" book.
    Hugs
    April

I love my Kindle. I love books and didn't think I would like it, but it's awesome. When I finish a book and want something else to read, I can upload instantly, which is great when you're on a trip and don't want to weigh luggage down with books. It's portable to carry in my purse and a lot cheaper than buying hardbacks and paperbacks, plus I don't have to use storage space in my house. It's easier to read in bed, but I would recommend that you get a cover that has a light built in. The downside is can't pass the books on. I'm 58 and was resistant for a long time but don't regret it at all. A good book is a good book in whatever form it's in. I honestly forget and reach up to turn the pages sometimes (LOL)!

Blog Entries
    Does Nook now have a 4G? Seems like I saw something on it.

Banned
    I've had mine for over a year, it's the best thing I ever did!

I just bought one after a lot of debating....still getting use to it..

I bought a Nook and have been very happy with it. The biggest advantage of the Nook over the Kindle was that I could download books from the library with the Nook, and you can't do that with a Kindle. I didn't want to have to buy books (no matter how inexpensive!) in order to use an e-reader, so the Nook was the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Metopogijo
    Could anyone share what the cost averages for the downloads?
    Prices vary for the downloads but if you type in free domain in the search engine you will bring up a list of more than you could ever read...but of course you will want to buy some too. =) I have a Kindle and my hub has the Nook. The thing I like about his is that its backlit. And the color thing is pretty cool too but I like my Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I am with you on this one!

Less books on our shelves makes more room for "fabric."

we bought a nook color for our daughter for christmas. she loves it. she ha several friends on the east coast and they now can exchange books as they all read alot. she also can send books to her blackberry to read or take with her when she is on business. see, don't I sound knowledgable even though I can barley handle the computer!

Blog Entries
    I got a Kindle for Christmas and I love it! They do have a 3g model available as well as their standard wi-fi model. It depends whether or not you have a wireless router available to you which one you choose. There are free books available for the Kindle as well. Many classics are free to download. I have also found some newer books available for free or little charge. Average for some of the newer authors- Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks etc. seems to be $10-$14, which is still much less than a hardbound book. Good luck with your choices!!

Blog Entries
    If you have a blackberry, there is an app you can download, for kindle or nook.

pab

Blog Entries
    Have the Nook,love it! pab

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast