Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So if you could only pick one of your hobbies...

Well you have all given me hope! lol

I've wanted to do this - something - for quite some time and find that I just keep thinking it or saying it or posting on mb's and have decided that I'd better either do it or shut up about it. As far as quilting I like the piecing but not the quilting, AT ALL, and tend to make small things occassionally so I don't get too frustrated.

I also contemplated making children's clothes but decided that I would have to deal with the mothers and not being a real "people person" that's probably out, unless I make to donate and that would be ok but I donate gently used clothing anyway and am looking to make some money.

That leaves the dolls, who seem to make most people smile. After you put them together and give them faces they just let you do what you want. They don't complain about their hair or their clothing and are always happy to see you and listen to your day, and put up with the venting on how the hair or skirt just isn't quite right and perhaps some beads may be nice, and are very agreeable even when there are pins sticking in their heads to keep their hair on. (Can you tell I have real kids? lol)

So after I finish my living room curtains - four panels and three sets of tiebacks to make - I will make a doll or two and post and take suggestions.

I love having you all for sewing friends! :) :) :)

Blog Entries
    Beautiful creations :thumbup: I also paint, do gardening and write.
    This year though, I have really spent my time on my quilting.

I've got 2 paintings started and haven't looked at my book in months. I've got 3 quilt projects to do before Christmas, then in the spring I'll work on building up my flowers that were lost the the terrible freeze we had last winter.
    I'll get out and finish the paintings in the spring air. I'll have to devote at least 3 hours to my writing. ( This is the Idea...)

:idea: I'm retired yet still have lots of work to do between a DH and GKs to watch once in a while. WOW! :shock:

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Some members of our Guild made American Doll clothes one year for the boutique. They all sold within the first morning of the show. They are a high end doll and the little girls who own them seem to like to have a huge wardrobe for them. Might this work for you?

There are people who collect dolls and especially handmade ones. I think there is a market for your dolls, it would be in finding it. Jurried craft shows would be good place to show your wears to a lot of people in a short time. I commend you for making dolls and selling them. I have made 3 dolls and to me they are worth a millon $ each LOL. Good luck, take care,
    Linda

wOW..U ARE TALENTED !

If I could pick it would be doll making.
    I oil paint cloth dolls and love everything about it. Because I also love quilts I make doll quilts so get to have the best of both hobbies.
    As for selling dolls that is another issue.
    I have sold dolls in the past. Simple play dolls or simple dolls for decoration. They were popular then but not so much now.
    There will always be a few doll lovers/collectors. I am 65 and still love dolls and doll quilts.
    judy j
    http://hardincountykeepsakes.blogspot.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have too many hobbies. LOL. My newest one is quilting. I also enjoy scrapbooking, knitting, crochet, sewing, gardening, canning (is that a hobby or a necessity?), singing harmony...See what I mean?

Blog Entries
    Quilting, gardening and reading. Can't give up any of them!!! :lol: :thumbup:

your dolls and cloths are beautiful. I sold cloth dolls a long time ago at craft fairs and did fairly well. I sold mostly to adults who bought for their children but also alot bought for themselves as they were doll collectors. Unfortunately you cannot charge for your time, but I always tried to get my materials on sale and at least tripled the price and added some for time.
    Good luck.Terry

Judith, they are wonderful! I've never been confident enough to paint anything, but your dolls have such charm and sweetness!

Your dolls are wonderful! I love the faces!

As to which hobby I would choose? I don't have any hobbies. I am an archivist for a fabric museum. I am a collector of beads and bobble ... so what if I never make the necklace or bracelet? And I plan on selling the handbags I'm planning on making, ... one day!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    Judith, they are wonderful! I've never been confident enough to paint anything, but your dolls have such charm and sweetness!
    Thank you. It just takes practice and patience with your self.
    There are several yahoo doll groups.They have challenges and lots of help from experienced doll makers.
    Friends of cloth dolls is a great group as is Vintage cloth doll makers.
    judy j

very nice....

Blog Entries
    I LOVE Elizabeth.... that is my granddauthers name but we call her Lily. Lillian Elizabeth Genesis is her full name.

Look on Etsy and you'll get an idea what that craft is worth. Your pieces are really cute. You'll find a market

Your dolls are beautiful- But to be honest, I think they look more like collector dolls than dolls to play with.
    You should go to a site like Etsy, look at the doll-sellers, see what they are offering, and how much. You can also look at each individual seller's sales- not how much they sold for, but click on where it says 22 sales, or 50 sales, whatever the number is, and you can see what they've sold and how long they've been selling- that should help you at least some.
    And quilting wins for me, hands down. I make dolls, too-

Quote Originally Posted by judith ann
    If I could pick it would be doll making.
    I oil paint cloth dolls and love everything about it. Because I also love quilts I make doll quilts so get to have the best of both hobbies.
    As for selling dolls that is another issue.
    I have sold dolls in the past. Simple play dolls or simple dolls for decoration. They were popular then but not so much now.
    There will always be a few doll lovers/collectors. I am 65 and still love dolls and doll quilts.
    judy j
    I love your dolls, esp the Betsey Ross doll! They're beautiful!

At our annual community craft fair the booths that sell Barbie doll clothes are always busy. They sell fast. I have bought them for my granddaughters. Barbies are the only dolls they play with.

Love the Barbie clothes. I still have my Barbie from 1958. I have her out on my dresser and dress her in holiday/seasonal outfits throughout the year. Several of my friends now do the same with their favorite dolls! It was really hard finding dresses done in holiday prints and I finally had a lady who sewed and sold Barbie clothes at craft fairs make some for me. For Halloween she even made a little mask. She said she sold a lot of them after people saw the ones she made for me!

I love your dolls, esp the Betsey Ross doll! They're beautiful![/quote]
    Thanks again.
    For those that are not familiar with the antique cloth dolls. There are sites that tells about them. I try my best to achieve the look of the antique dolls.
    http://www.bookstopshere.com/publica...lls4-29-04.pdf

http://sympletymes.blogspot.com/2009...n-pringle.html

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid, my mom made dolls for her three daughters and made them with hair and eyes to match each girl. We loved these dolls and they might sell if you could personalize them for gifts for people. I don't know. Never been good at selling my work. Always give it away. I do know that doll clothes are harder to make than people clothes because of the size. Good luck at whatever you do. I will keep on at my quilting. ;)

Great toes! Quilting, painting, reading - hmmm. Don't know...

Blog Entries
    YES!!!! I'm sure there's a market. About 20 years ago I made cloth dolls and got the greatest compliment when someone broke into a car and stole the doll I made. Kind of creepy, but they must have really liked it! YOUR DOLLS ARE SO VERY WONDERFUL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2