so sorry now

Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Trying having one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted. Without glasses I can feel my eyes fighting each other. So I have glasses that I use for sewing and computer and another pair to drive. The funny thing is when I am at work at my desk and have my computer glasses on, customer's faces at the front counter just blend together. So I have to take off the glasses. I have called the person the wrong name before.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM

My doctor told me to make an effort to blink my eyes when using the computer all day. He also recommended Sustane.
It lubricates the eyes so you don't have to blink so often. It worked wonders for me. I also take breaks and close my eyes for a few minutes then look way off in the distance....then I go back to the computer or sewing. Much prefer sewing. Make sure you have good lighting so you are not straining to see.
Best wishes
D in TX
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM

I have to give my eyes time to "re-focus" from one activity to another. My biggest challenge is the fine print in the crossword puzzles. Taking a break from whatever you are doing is very helpful, and do take care of your eyes. The macular degeneration is something that is hard, if not impossible to fix. Surgery doesn't always fix things!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone
Is it possible you didn't blink enough to lubricate your eyes? Maybe eye drops will help along with breaks. Time for an exam anyway. Good luck.

piney
Yes, I agree! I wear a mono vision lens (1 contact in my left eye) and I found if I sewed for a long time my eyes would hurt so bad! When I went to take my contact out it was really dry, so knew I needed to rest my eyes more and use a lubricant in them as well. I think it was just eye strain from being too dry!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 AM

I did during the past 6 months or so. Was always near sighted for driving and now am far sighted for reading, sewing and computer. Finally got my new glasses about month and a half ago. Boy what a difference and think I should have done it sooner. Thank goodness they exist or I would really be having trouble reading and sewing now.