so sorry now

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Try trifocals. They are marvelous for the inbetween stuff........or progressive lenses also work well.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM

I wear no line trifocals because of the computer, piano music, sewing and reading. Since I had my cataracts removed last year I no longer need them for driving and long distance but still need them in front of my face. I do the computer most of the time without glasses but to read or sew I need them.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Eye strain really sets in if I do the same thing for an extended periof of time. Had to learn to change my focus frequently. Cutting, machine sewing,, pressing, looking up at the tv on the wall all make for changes while I'm in the sewingroom. In the evening I will do hand embroidery or read but I wear half glasses for this so I can look up over them to refocus on gubby or the tv. It does help.
Do you have a book on tape? Place a cool mask over your eyes and rest them for a few days.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM

I have to wear tri-focials. I wear them from the time that I get up to when I go to bed. I wouldn't be able to do anything with out them.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM

Sounds like you might try tri-focals. I wear them or I would have the same problem that you have. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

If it's been 2 years since your last check-up, it is time for an appointment. Thanks for the reminder, It's time I went as well. I too have always worn glasses and have bifocals. I did get a pair of full glasses for the trifocal perscrip. I found that I needed them for computer work, sewing and painting (walls) for that in between focus. Currently though, I admit to taking off my glasses for close work. Getting older is not for wimps! I am thinking of getting the magnifying lenses for my Bernina.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

good lighting- and regular breaks are very important when long-arm quilting-
it is never a good idea to quilt for hours without taking breaks-
when i quilt i set a timer-and every 45 minutes my timer goes off- and i have to stop- and i take a break-at least 15 minutes away from the machine-
i have found it makes a huge difference in the quality of my work.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Maybe you could try some of those reading glasses you can pick up in the drug store and see if that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention that I already wear glasses - tri-focals. I do have good lighting, so that isn't the issue. Looked up my last visit to the eye dr and see it has been 2 yrs. Looks like it is time to go back.
I use tri-focals too, but I have found that if I put a pair of magnifying glasses on over my tri-focals, I have an easier time seeing what I'm quilting. I wonder how many pairs of glasses I can pile onto my face :-)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I wear prescription glasses for my computer.
I wear "cheaters" for reading.
I wear contacts when I go out!
I've got glasses all over the place...in my car, in my purse, on end tables, in the kitchen...etc.
I would love to get them zapped!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I don't know if increased lighting will help but it can't hurt. Check out the setup in this quilting area. (3rd photo) I was struck by the lighting that has been added. I'm sure it is great.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154508-1.htm
Wow! This is a great lighting setup. Never thought of track lighting (I think that is what it is called). Have to look into it. Thanks