so sorry now

Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I have what is called "progressive lenses" They are basically invisible line bifocals that cover everything "near, far and in-between." I also just bout an adjustable bright light that sticks on the machine. It will focus the light EXACTLTY where you need it. I have sewed with Ott Lites for years and this teeny light was only about $30. including shipping. Might be an option to consider.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Proper lighting is a must. Not good light, great bright light that you can't get with a regular light bulb. I use Ott lights over my machine and my machine is in front of a double window. I try to do all my machine sewing when the sun is coming through the windows. It makes a big difference. I can't tolerate dark rooms when I'm awake. I have to have sunlight or bright lights on all the time. I have 23 light bulbs in my living room with two bright flood lights over the fireplace and that's just one room. My sewing room is just as well lit. I think good bright light makes everyone feel better.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Change in eye glasses? Yes! I was so afraid to go in, my eyes were really getting bad. Not on the close up stuff, but at a distance, oh my! Turns out that as you age your vision, at a distance, is that near sightedness, gets better! I went to a weaker eye glass and I was cured!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by drw1mjw2
Change in eye glasses? Yes! I was so afraid to go in, my eyes were really getting bad. Not on the close up stuff, but at a distance, oh my! Turns out that as you age your vision, at a distance, is that near sightedness, gets better! I went to a weaker eye glass and I was cured!
bring on the aging then!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM

My eyes really bother me after a day at the machine. Blanket stitches really do me in; I can only work for 1/2hr if I'm doing that or any other special stitches.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM

I don't think that quilting causes a change in your vision, but it may make you more aware of a problem that needs attention.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by drw1mjw2
Wow! Hope this is what it is. Have my Dr. appt for next Thursday.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I wear bi-focals and they adjust the bottom of my glasses to how close I am to what I am working on. So for reading they work great but with my new ones I can't seem to get the right distance for the computer. I have a feeling I may have to get several pairs to cover reading, quilting and using the computer. :roll:
I have trifocals for the computer. one lens to see the keyboard and the other the screen.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM

With my first, and only at this time, FMQ project my shoulders, elbows, neck and forearmes were sore for several days. I get so caught is what I am doing that time means nothing! :roll:
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I wear bi-focals and they adjust the bottom of my glasses to how close I am to what I am working on. So for reading they work great but with my new ones I can't seem to get the right distance for the computer. I have a feeling I may have to get several pairs to cover reading, quilting and using the computer. :roll:
I keep a very strong pair of readers, from the dollar store, at my machine because close up work is difficult to do with the reading 'prism' in my right lens. I even wear them for computer work if my eyes begin to get tired. (I have glaucoma, so that could be part of the problem.)