so sorry now

Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I wear bi-focals and they adjust the bottom of my glasses to how close I am to what I am working on. So for reading they work great but with my new ones I can't seem to get the right distance for the computer. I have a feeling I may have to get several pairs to cover reading, quilting and using the computer. :roll:
Me too. T he eye doc always asks what do you do most? Quilting, reading, or computer.?? I do 'em all !! He says then you may need a pair for each activity. My glasses are over $200.00 a pair. Any ideas??? I've tried the glasses at the pharmacy , walmart , dollar store to no avail.
:-( :-( :-( :-(
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Sadly it's not just a matter of getting old. I have needed glasses since I was in elementary. (I'm bad enough I once had to dig an old pair of glasses out of a drawer to find my glasses) I worry about what happens when I do "get old", I've already be diagnosed with glaucoma, and have nerve damage. I know driving for a long time is hardest on me since it's my distance vision that is worst. A day or two rest usually gets me back to normal.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana
I wear bi-focals and they adjust the bottom of my glasses to how close I am to what I am working on. So for reading they work great but with my new ones I can't seem to get the right distance for the computer. I have a feeling I may have to get several pairs to cover reading, quilting and using the computer. :roll:
Me too. T he eye doc always asks what do you do most? Quilting, reading, or computer.?? I do 'em all !! He says then you may need a pair for each activity. My glasses are over $200.00 a pair. Any ideas??? I've tried the glasses at the pharmacy , walmart , dollar store to no avail.
Maybe see if you can't get some on one of the buy one get one free promotions from lens crafters or one of the big chain stores -- also AAA members used to get 30% discount at lens crafters, and the yearly membership is only like $45
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM

I don't know if increased lighting will help but it can't hurt. Check out the setup in this quilting area. (3rd photo) I was struck by the lighting that has been added. I'm sure it is great.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154508-1.htm
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by Noiseynana
Thank, I never thought of that.
Maybe see if you can't get some on one of the buy one get one free promotions from lens crafters or one of the big chain stores -- also AAA members used to get 30% discount at lens crafters, and the yearly membership is only like $45
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 AM

I always keep a set of readers from the drug store on my sewing machine. Can't quilt without them. helps with eye strain and seeing those tiny stitiches.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 AM

Something like that happened to me. I too got on a roll and quilted forever and then my eyes did the jumping thing & I couldn't sew for a few days. I went to the Dr. and it was eye strain. He said it was like the other muscles in our body. It might not hurt to see Dr. if you don't get better in a day or two. Feel better soon.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 AM

Better lighting willhelp BIG time get and Ottlight and you will wonder how you ever sewed without one....day or night dosentmake a difference....and My machine had 2lights and Ican also change from night to day sewing on it too....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have dry eye and have anti glare for the glasses. Doc recommended a Otc eye drop and take a break every 15, so it eye drops 4 times a day and breaks for the eyes. The anti glare help.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Sunday was another rainy day here. Went to church and came home. Fixed a big breakfast for me and hubby.

Went down to basement where my studio is. I have just finished piecing a donation quilt and thought I would attempt to FMQ it. I have practiced on small blocks, but never a quilt. I have a Baby Loc Quilter's Dream machine.

Started some meandering in the background and was having a great time. It looked fairly good for a beginner.
I really haven't but nice of hubby to get take out. I can so easily do the same thing and have on many occasions
Before I knew it it was time for dinner, and my husband came down and said,if you want to keep sewing, I could go and pick up some Chinese for us.

Great idea! So I kept sewing.

Well, I just about finished the background and felt pretty good about it.

Problem is - now, two days later, my eyes are killing me! Haven't been able to sew at all. Didn't realize it was going to be such a strain on them. I think I now have to make an appt. with the eye doc. Probably need stronger glasses.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their eyesight since they started quilting?

This is really a bummer.

Guess I will just have to clean house for a while!