Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some advantages to being old(er) >

Some advantages to being old(er)

Some advantages to being old(er)

Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 PM

Going to have a flag tattooed on my arm flag, so when I wave at people, I can be patriotic.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I enjoy doing what I want when I want. If I want to stay up all night reading, I do. The only day I worry about sleeping in is trash day. If I am too tired the next day, I take a long nap. If I want to eat my big meal of the day at 3 pm or 8 pm, I do it. And if I eat dessert first, no harm done. Some days I change into a clean nightgown when I go to bed. And like Suzanne, I can sew whenever.
I don't even worry on trash day. If I miss the garbage truck... it will come back next week. All is good.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:50 PM
mac

Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
Going to have a flag tattooed on my arm flag, so when I wave at people, I can be patriotic.
Now that is funny.

Another thing about being older is that you can make fun of yourself and not be embarrassed about it.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 PM

I am happier now than I could have ever imagined. I feel more free and am glad to surround myself with kind friends.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 AM

Oh, my, my!! Thanks for 1st laugh of this day! I don't like the aches & pains.. Don't really do dusting, etc anymore. Would rather be on computer or sewing room... Don't cook or bake much at all. Get up early.. Don't miss hot flashes or periods but now have to wear pads for other reason! Thankfully my hair & nails still grow well. But do miss my long eyelashes! Happy no more shaving legs & underarm anymore!!! My sweet Mom died March 2017 at 92 & she always said "Don't get old, don't get old!". She had several bad back issues & she'd say "I hope you kids don't inherit this!." I'd say "Sorry, Mom, it's too late." I am oldest (74) w/3 brothers (70, 64, we 57), I know I've had fewer surgeries than they have had but we all have aches & pains!!! About worrying-- it's like rocking in a rocker- you move but don't go anywhere!!. God bless all you sweet ladies!!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Senior discount is one advantage.
there are sites that will tell you where you can get a discount IF YOU ASK
FOR IT. Most places will not tell you. (I think they don't want to offend.)
Old 06-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The big plus - I care less about what other people think of me and/or what I do.

The big minus - My body ain't what it used to be! My skin has shriveled, my dimensions have gotten bigger, and the law of gravity is in effect!
I see getting older is the same in the north as it is in the south,...landwise I mean.
My north and south do not change in the same proportions. Think: landslide .
Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I enjoy being able to sew or quilt when ever I like.

I seriously don't like that I don't have the gumption or energy to keep myself as busy
as I used to be. Not that I need to be busy all the time, but I was happier it seems.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
When you get stopped by a cop they are less likely to show some attitude. Your mileage may vary.

No one expects you to run anywhere.
this made me chuckle a little, cuz this gal ain't running nowhere!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:08 AM

My DGM told me 'Grow old grace-fully'. Never met Grace. But my DGM was five foot two and weighted 250 pounds and lived in right mind and own house until her death at 83 years old. And had a six foot five funny bone. "never cry", laugh and everyone will love you...she lived and love life to its fullest. Hope I can say the same about my life.

Before my DGf died, he went to the local men's store to buy her a pair of Overalls. He ask for their shortest pair, and widest pair that they had and gave them to her as a Christmas present. She tried them on, had to double up the pants legs to above her knees...guess they did not listen to his description of five foot high and five foot wide. So many good stories to recite yet today. Yep, DGM was right, "Grow old gracefully" and enjoy everyday we have. I had a good teacher on enjoying every minute of every day. Counting my blessings daily.

Love being a retired senior and children all grown and out on their own. Love our grandchild and thankful we can spoil him and send him home with his parents. Now is my time to cook, sew or read as I want to. Love making a mess in my sewing room and make it look like I am busy, busy, busy. LOL!