Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:31 PM

I keep all my online tutorials, websites I want to come back to, etc bookmarked at a free online site called Pinterest. It's great because I can SEE everything and organize everything the way I want. I have recipes, books I want to read, quilts I want to make, and so on. When I click on the picture, it takes me to the original website. I can access my Pinterest from any computer anywhere, and there is no security risk because it's all online. I can browse other people's "pins" and if I find something I like, I can add it to my board.

Here's a link to mine - check it out!
http://pinterest.com/peggi/
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

the tech who had your puter should have been able to restore some of that...

at least it was only websites...NOT family geneology, pictures, etc...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I use Carbonite. I haven't used it yet but once lost everything- photographs, documents, bookmarks- everything. It was awful.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM

I bookmark sometime, but I mostly copy and paste the link and a picture in a word document and save on a flash drive. I had a computer to crash and lost a lot of good useful information also.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Just an FYI, you can export your bookmarks.

In firefox 5: Select "Bookmarks --> Show All Bookmarks" from the menu. A pop-up window named "Library" will display. Select the import and backup menu option and then the backup option. A save window will appear. You can save to anywhere - on your hard drive or to the zip that you use for other stuff or to a USB stick.

IE, Safari, and Chrome all have similar methods. If you need help, let me know what browser you're using and I'll try to track down the directions.
Now THIS is useful information. I recently spent an afternoon clicking on, then copying and pasting the URL for all my favourites on my work computer since I won't have access to it anymore. NEXT time, I'll follow your instructions.
I bought an external hard drive that runs as a back up just so I don't lose my information. It's also very easy to grab in case of emergency.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm sorry for your troubles.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM

How terrible....
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM

Been there, done that, it is devastating, but you just have to start new and try hard not to think about the things you have lost. It isn't easy, but soon you will have a new collection. Be sure to back things up on a portable drive or at least on CDs or DVDs. You will be so glad you did. I am so sorry that you had to deal with such a terrible situation. It always makes one feel so completely helpless.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 AM

My husband is an IT professional and we use Carbonite. I cant tell you the number of times we have rebuilt computers or had problems and this service saved all our data.

One of the few things I truly appreciate. It allows me to save things to my files and not worry about them.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 AM

I have an external hard drive where I forward the things I would not want to lose on it and a flash drive - an 8 gig flash drive. Tons of room.It's so easy to save it all that way.