Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
That is why I started saving my links on the free blogs, they will always be there and have them in catergories by labels.

My other computers crashed twice so I learned the hard way, now I save them on the free blogs.

If you need any help finding some of your old links, just send me a private message so I can help you find some of them again.

Also you can use the "my pages" features here on the quilting board site to save the links that I and others post for all of us to enjoy.

I am working on another blog again just for quilting resources, free patterns etc.

Karen, Craftybear
Craftybear, do you hire out to the computer impaired? Just asking.... :roll:
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 AM

This happened to me last year, my computer had to be taken back to the date I had purchased it. Fortunately, after my previous laptop had committed suicide, I purchased an external hard drive onto which I backup my entire computer every couple of weeks. It certainly saved my sanity last year and was well worth the price I paid for it.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 AM

[img]http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/1.gif[/img] As PC tutor, n geek :twisted: I am always going on about backing up and this is a perfect example of what hassle you get if you don't do it.

To back up your "Bookmarks" open a web page and on the top menu click on "File" select and click on "Import and export" and follow the directions, copy that file from your My Documents onto a flash drive of CD and you have them safe, just do it occasionally so it is kept up to date.

Sorry about yout losses mpeter I do hope you get them all back safely.

BTW a really good tip for backing up is to keep a rewritable CD in your CD drive and use this FREE wonderful tool: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155 so easy to use, honest :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 AM

Did they have to reinstall the operating system? If so that wipes the hard drive clean. Everything is lost to get the machine back up and running again.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 AM

On the plus side, now you'll be able to find new ones and some of those old ones were probably broken links anyway.

Ok, I know it's not a great plus side, but when you are disgusted by this, try to focus on the good. That's what I do whenever I lose all my links. It happens enough.

The external hard drive is an excellent investment. You can get one for $100 or less and it will definately save your sanity. DH backs up everything every month or so.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 AM

If you use Firefox, do a search for add-ons. Look for one called x-marks. Install it. It keeps all your bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs. It can be synced to all your computers and does it automatically or you can sync it when you want to. It has saved me a lot of hassles. I haven't lost any of that stuff in a few years since I've been using it.
Good luck!
Jan
>^::^
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 AM

More Help Needed.............
I just bought a hard drive and DS backed up all my information. He does things so fast tho, he leaves me in the dust.
How do I add to those files the things I have saved since then? I know he had two windows open but how do I know what the current stuff is and what's old? I'm always afraid I will goof up something important.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 AM

What a bummer! Don't know where you took your computer but I only use a local "guru". His store is in my small town. He always re-installs everything if I bring him my disks. He saves all my information including bookmarks. Gives me free info anytime I need it. All this at no extra cost, which I find very reasonable. I know friends in a larger town that use one of the "big" companys that get charged for every disk re-install. Maybe try (and get to know) a small local store if needed in the future.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Every now and then, export your favorites to your zip drive, in case you crash again. Hopefully once is enough!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Back up is every Friday night just before I go to bed It's a good habit to get into.