Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM

I know what you mean it hurts I back up everything on external hard drive . So sorry for your lost if I can help let me know. Shirley
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 AM

I'd pour a stiff drink :)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 AM

So sorry this happened to you. I haven't a clue how to tell you what you can do! But form the looks of the thread, many do. Follow their lead. Good Luck :)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 AM

stiff drink, helpful board members, ideas on saving.....yep, got it down! Oh, one more thing....~^%(#%&* to back u up.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM

So sorry this happened.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 AM

I use spring it, I think the site is www.springpad.com. Not sure but you can google it. Its a cloud type site, and you store your bookmarks in it, so if your computer crashed all your saved sites are available anywhere you can log into it sharet
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 AM

So Sorry!!! You might look into a back-up for your computer, it's like a second modem and each time you work on your computer you transfer all your data to it. When the computer dies you have a back-up which can be replaced on your origional computer. I don't know the exact name of this little black box but anyone that works on computers could tell you about it. They are not very expensive and well worth the price, because eventually your computer will crash or have problems. This is like having a second computer and all your data is saved.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 AM

There are places you can go to recover that data but it cost lots of money. I have 3 hard drives and I back them up to the other two as well. Most hard drives crash because of over heating as the dust collects in them and they over heat the components. You should aleast blow out the dust by using the cans of air every few months to get rid of the dust bunnies. He has recovered his puter just buy spraying it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
or pour myself a stiff drink!

My pc recently crashed and I had to have it completely rebuilt. I ALWAYS put my PDF quilt patterns, tips, word documents, pictures any type of file that can be saved on a zip drive.

When I got my pc back, not only were all my games gone (which I suppose can be repurchased or whatever) every single one of my bookmarks are gone.

I think I had around 300 between all of them and probably at least half of them were quilting or sewing oriented. Links to BOMs, mysteries, fabric manufacturers free pattern links...all sorts of stuff. So I am systematically going through all 332 pages of the links and resources portion of the site to try and rebuild as many as I can. Thankfully, Craftybear is super awesome and shared many of her wonderful bookmarks with us! So...I know I'll get some back, but I will probably wonder if I ever got them all....quilting blogs...tips pages everything...gone.

I WANT TO CRY!!!
My husband had this happen a few years ago.
They formatted both of his hard drives, one was his back-up which had all his programs on which are no longer available.
When he asked the computer tech why he did that......He said because it "WASN'T" on the work order and since it wasn't listed as to be left alone he wiped it. Now my husbands computer was only in to have the power pack replaced.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks, qbquilts. I am getting a new computer at work and don't want to lose all of the sites I've stored as favorites.