Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 AM

I am so sorry, but if it is any consolation, you can go to the website where you bought the game, and tell them. They will let you download it again. (the voice of experience)
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM

My friend in Canada says "PIFFLE" Isn't nasty, but gets the point across. lol
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm reading this and feeling your pain. In the past year, that happened to me not once - but TWICE! The second time I'd purchased an external hard drive so I wouldn't lose anything, and it hadn't saved a thing. Probably me and not the hard drive, but upsetting anyway. I've purchased a new computer and external hard drive that needs to be backed up by hand instead of automatically. I've also found a file icon of my favorites that I think I can copy onto the external drive as well as a jump drive. One good thing - thanks to this board, my favorites folder is filling up quickly.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
That is why I started saving my links on the free blogs, they will always be there and have them in catergories by labels.
Also you can use the "my pages" features here on the quilting board site to save the links that I and others post for all of us to enjoy.

I am working on another blog again just for quilting resources, free patterns etc.

Karen, Craftybear
Please tell us non-techies how to move items from 'bookmarks' to 'my pages.' And how to save to the 'free blogs.' Both sound excellent.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Invest in an external hard drive that you can routinely copy everything on your computer. If it crashes again, you can install it on the new one. Read on them, look in PC World and talk to the sales guy before you buy.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM

quoteQultingaddictUKTo back up your "Bookmarks" open a web page and on the top menu click on "File" select and click on "Import and export" and follow the directions, copy that file from your My Documents onto a flash drive of CD and you have them safe, just do it occasionally so it is kept up to date.quote

You lost me at 'open a web page.' What web page? Where?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Let's all say a bad word for mpeters *&###*@@&%^!!!
why aunt auntpiggylpn - tsktsk :oops: :oops: :oops:

lol - well said!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I am so sorry! I JUST went through this in June! I lost a lot of stuff, but one thing that saved my bookmarks was that I had created an igoogle page (very easy to do) and put most of my bookmarks there. That way they are saved on the web, not just on your computer and will be there if your computer crashes. There are other places that will store your bookmarks besides igoogle - ikeepbookmarks.com - portaportal.com (one of my favorites!) and of course, the My Pages here on this board. Good luck getting your bookmarks back! Hugs.
How do you create and use an igoogle page?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM

[quote=JoanneS]
Originally Posted by lovelyl
I am so sorry! I JUST went through this in June! I lost a lot of stuff, but one thing that saved my bookmarks was that I had created an igoogle page (very easy to do) and put most of my bookmarks there. That way they are saved on the web, not just on your computer and will be there if your computer crashes. There are other places that will store your bookmarks besides igoogle - ikeepbookmarks.com - portaportal.com (one of my favorites!) and of course, the My Pages here on this board. Good luck getting your bookmarks back! Hugs.
To create an igoogle page, go to this link and follow the directions. http://www.google.com/support/websea...ource=ig&hl=en
After you create your page you will see an option to Add Stuff on the far right of your page in blue print. Click on this and search for bookmarks. Choose the bookmark icon (apps) you like best (I use the first one) and choose Add. It will then be part of your igoogle page.
I set my igoogle page as my home page and it comes up every time I go to the interet with all my bookmarks right there. You can all kinds of apps to your page - a great time saver!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM

You should always back up your computer with a outside source like Carbonite or an external hard drive. Photos and other things we store on the computer are so important! Your computer repair person can help you.