Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone asked about the dogs.... >

Someone asked about the dogs....

Someone asked about the dogs....

Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks Celeste. She didn't eat much tonight... I still haven't tried the cottage cheese. The chicken flavored seasoning wasn't a hit with either dog. Rats! She's still liking the bologna--but eats best in the morning... not at night. She seems stiffer, but spent the day on a soft grassy place rather than her corner of straw. I bet the change of scene was good. She's back to her straw corner tonight.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 PM

awe, give that girl and big kiss and scratch behind the ears from me and my furbaby dogs Monty, Abbie and JuJu.

Lisa
Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Karla, I just had a thought: (amazing, I know!), but do you think she could be off her feed because her mouth hurts? I mean, she did have a big oral surgery, and animals DO feel pain just like we do! Is she on pain meds? If not, you can give her one aspirin a day. That will help with the stiffness too. Hugs and kisses for the furbabies! And you too. I know how hard it is to watch one of our dear friends get old.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 AM

Thanks for thinking of her, gaigai. :D Her surgery was over months ago--and the doc checked for exactly that possibility last time we took her in. She was in an antibiotic for a while after the surgery--but it's healed up. She's never eaten much hard food since then. That's why we bought canned food. We give her one baby aspirin a day.

Yesterday she wolfed 2 pieces of bologna--so an hour later I gave her 2 more--she ate them, too. So, I gave her two more a few hours later--and she ate those!! :shock: Mark cooked hot dogs on the grill and cut one up for her. I started warming her bologna in the microwave--she seems to like it better that way. :roll: I tried cottage cheese--neither dog is at all interested in that. I'm going to cook her some eggs tonight.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi Karla - just caught up with this. Poor Suzy! I had a kitten once that wouldn't eat because he was weaned too young. What finally got him eating was really stinky, garliky paté. I know Suzy's a dog not a cat, but maybe worth a try? Once the kitten (Oskar) was wolfing down the paté, I gradually started mixing in regular kitten food and eventually he would eat only that. Still always love paté though - and no, he wasn't a French cat! LOL

K x
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Got to love them funny how they think some times as they grow older. I have a mini dachshund she crippled with her own little doggie wheel chair she 14 years old and she now has trouble getting around so she doesn't want her wheel chair this little girl has a strong will to keep on ticking the Vet didn't think she would make to 7 years.I'm sorry to hear your dog isn't doing well.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 AM

hi karla

it makes me very sad to hear bad news about someone's animals. i'm so sorry to hear about your girl. i hope things work out the right way.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM

It's so hard when our dogs age and begin to decline. I recently lost my 3rd. Borzoi to cancer at age 9 so I know what you're going through.

Our vet said baby meat jar food would get her appetite back and it did for awhile but eventually the pain was so bad that even high dose pain meds didn't touch it and we had to say goodbye.

Best of luck with your beautiful "baby". We never have them long enough it seems.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM

there are so many other things to use now, to help keep their teeth cleaned. ( that we can do ) instead of the cleaning from the vet. it is too rough on the older ones. With some cases them not waking up at all. we use that Ora vet weekly on ours. it really helps and yes it might not be as good as a cleaning but at least they are still with me. My Jericho looks just like your suzy only hes all white, hes 11 yrs old and has a hard time getting up too.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 AM

glory--she did NOT go in to have her teeth cleaned... the post has all the details. :wink:

Well--I've tried scrambled eggs, baby food meats, cottage cheese, the dog food seasoning...nothing even made her attempt a taste. However, when I added a bit of bologna to the top of her eggs, she gobbled that down. :D :roll: I'm going to try boiled chicken today, or at least chicken deli meat for variety.

She and Shimano scampered after a chipmunk this morning--Suzy didn't go very fast but her ears were perked and she was happy to take part in the search. Then I hugged her up, held her close, shed some tears for what's inevitable at some time, then I groomed her for half an hour.

We shall love her and hug her up as long as she's with us... and I'm on my way to get more bologna.