Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Speaking of long stockings - - - >

Speaking of long stockings - - -

Speaking of long stockings - - -

Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
This is a spin-off of the Speaking of Hats topic - - -

I remember in first and second grade wearing flesh colored long cotton knit stockings - I think we had some sort of kiddie garter belt to hold them up - I don't remember how they stayed up - they were thigh high.

I do remember nylons - and how hard it was to get the seam straight. And with those we had a garter belt. It was always a debate about whether to wear it over or under the underpants. I think "under" was the usual choice.

My DH kind of misses those days! :mrgreen: :oops: :lol:

I miss the body I had then.

I can still get into a pair of pantyhose - but, man, it's a struggle. One leg always twists and it's about four tries to get that right!
We must have grown up at about the same time. My sister and I wore an "over the shoulders harness-type thing that had garters hanging off it. My dad always helped us get dressed while Mother was finishing breakfast. At times, even he would get frustrated trying to get the thing straightened out so it would drop over our head and be right. Been through all the others too--hose with seams, panty hose, knee-hi's, which is all I wear now, since I'm almost always in slacks or a long skirt.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 AM

My daughter can't believe that we wore pants under our dresses to school then had to take them off. I still remember(insert hate!) the black and white houndstooth corduroy pants that I wore in 5th grade! They must have looked so COOL with my plaid dress(all my dresses were plaid!)! And they came from the Spiegel's catalog!! Remember that!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM

I'm from the era of long brown stockings which I had to wear FOREVER. I would get to school and roll them down to my ankles and there would be that large ungainly do-nut, made walking difficult. Than on the way home, roll them back up so folks don't know I didn't smother in them all day. I had a friend later in life that had the same experience in life and she wrote a poem about it. I would include it but it is still over at the farm.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 AM

I wore a lot knee socks in elementry school - still had to wear dresses.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:53 AM

In the fifties they brought up stretchy pantyhose that were opaque like the cotton stockings. My mother sent me to the store to buy a pair of cotton I came back with the stretches. I had to bring them back, she firmly believed that they were made for a toddler.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 AM

I wore those long cotton flesh stockings too.but we held them up with the elastic rings that rolled ver the stocking and cut off all circulation. also wore snow pants to school.and my mother would be mad at us if we walk the snow bank where the wing of the plow made and we would come home sometimes wet up our crotch from falling through the snow.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

I remember in first and second grade wearing flesh colored long cotton knit stockings - I think we had some sort of kiddie garter belt to hold them up - I don't remember how they stayed up - they were thigh high.

me, too.

what held mine up was little garter thingies that were attached to the leg part of panties. i remember the color was like nobody's flesh seen before or since.

i wore mine to kindergarten in new york city. you must be older than i am :mrgreen: (i know you're not). i hated putting them one everyday.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Boy did I hate those flesh colored stockings and that nasty harness thing. What a trip down memory lane, Wear long dresses if I have to dress UP and knee highs now, I.m to lazy to fight with Pantyhose.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by f rogers
also wore snow pants to school
my god, the things you guys remember. i wore that also. the teacher made us take them off in the wardrobe (a deep closet - where the boys wouldn't see us) and fluff out our skirts, which our mothers had mashed inside. no pants allowed during school hours. how dumb was that? at the end of the day, we wasted another half hour mashing ourselves back into those things getting tangled in the straps. and the galoshes? is ugly the right word?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 AM

I didn't like garter belts but had a long girdle with the hose attachments -- loved it when pantyhose came along