Is it spring yet?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 AM

JanineH, I'm from ND and have family there weathering out this latest blizzard with you! Down here, in south central Nebraska, the sand hill cranes are amassing along the Platte river. There are fields just covered with the birds. One of the stopping locations on their trip back north. Always a sign of warmer weather ahead. Oh, while out trying to walk in the 45 mph wind I noticed the bulbs starting to peek up thru the soil. Just glad we didn't have the snow ND has along with that wind!!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:44 AM

Not so far from you in Nebraska we had (they seem to be gone now) Sandhill Cranes a couple of weeks ago. Now our resident Robins are out and about and a couple of Turtledoves too come to our bird feeder. I have two crocus blooming in my East flower garden. Yes, Spring is here, however we had snow yesterday morning and a report for more snow/rain for Thursday.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM

Iclang, where are you? We are south of Grand Island near Hastings. We still have lots of the cranes although their numbers are lowering quite a bit.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 AM

I too live in northern lower Michigan..................a troll for sure. In our area the deer have returned, but I have yet to see a robin. Maybe it's because they don't want to climb the high mounds of snow in our yard. So they have settled into other northern lower Michigan sights for now. I simply am tired of the weather forecast calling for now. Will it ever end? Spring please come!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by just joan View Post
I think it might be spring. We live in a wooded area in Michigan and today we saw many different signs of spring. I needed a script for the drugstore about 30 mile away. On the way we saw the fields are getting bare spots. Many deer where out of the woods and snow in the fields. We saw 4 sand hill cranes, a flock of geese all signs of spring. Then after we go home there were a least 6 robins. Is it spring where you are?
Am thinking it is right around the corner as LOTS of robins are back here in the Thumb. Yesterday I saw my snow-drops in full bloom and some other small flowers are poking out of the ground about 2". Our pair of Canadian geese have been back for a couple of weeks now. Our snow level has really gone down, mine are just the plowed piles here and there.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 AM

The azaleas are blooming -- gardeners are setting out veggies and flowers -- it is getting close to 80 degrees in the afternoon -- our short spring, before the hot summer, is here!!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 AM

It's spring here! We have horribly hot, humid summers...think a blast of hot oven air hitting you whenever you walk out the door, and in this part of FL we get winter freezes that ruin many plants. Right now we have the best of the year. We can work outside without worrying of heat stroke, the phlox are blooming beside the roadways, and the bluebirds are raising their young. Love it!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
My Christmas cactus is so confused, it's trying to bloom again. for Easter? my plants are getting ready for Spring. but here we hardly have a growing season, so they get going as fast as possible.
My Christmas cactus always bloomed for Thanksgiving and again for Easter. Sometimes I had a bloom or two at Christmas. A few years it was continuous. But this year there has been not one blossom. Really strange. I treated it the same as always.

Our snow banks are still way over my head. Our road didn't get opened for 5 days after that February 22 storm, and they've been trying to get the roads opened wider ever since. Our yard is still feet deep in snow except for a few square yards of grass over the septic tank. Ha Ha! This morning I tried to go to Mass, but my windshield kept icing up. I drove about a mile and a half, but was afraid to get onto the highway, so I came back home. I really couldn't see anything through the ice. Now it is still only 26 degrees out. That's Fahrenheit!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 AM

It rained here yesterday and we were so happy to see some of the high snow banks melting down a little....but this morning another 3-4 inches of snow. Some day soon it has to stop. I think the April Fools joke is on us! LOL
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 AM

Here in Indiana had a beautiful day yesterday, so today potted a couple of pots of pansies. Makes me think of spring, really ready after this winter.