squirrels

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

I think squirrels are cute somewhere else. Stopped feeding the birds because of them and yes they do like tomatoes. My sister had to have her van rewired because of them. Cute but not fun to have around.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by igorsews
I, too, have them! However, they sit in my apple tree, take a few bites of my developing apples, sit, smile, and wave at me as they throw the remaining apple to the ground!@#! I will win this year!!!
Haha! They are cheeky little things!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM

I think they're so cute and very smart, BUT they can be little stinkers!!!! Some can be very destructive and just downright naughty!!

I thought you might like to see a couple of pics I found online! :lol:

Oh, and by the way watch out for those cute little chipmunks!!! Talk about destructive!!!!! Those little buggers can be a real menace!! I used to feed peanuts (in the shells) to the squirrels and bluejays. Well, the chipmunks qould also feast on them -- or so I thought!!! One of the little critters crawled through my dryer vent and piled up peanuts under the drum of the dryer!!! I couldn't figure out why my clothes were very warm but very moist! Called a repairman, and he asked my ex-husband for a little container. Stange request he thougt, but he got a container. The repairman started filling the container with PEANUTS!!!!! The pile had gotten so tall that it had stopped the drum from turning!!!!!!!! First thing I did was put a screen on the exterior dryer vent and then immediately STOPPED feeding anyone peanuts! I then got a live trap, caught about 20 in one summer and took them off to the woods near a community college! At least they could get a college education and maybe give up their criminal way!! Ph, and the charge for the "repair"????? About $125!!!!!!!!! :shock: :evil:

Jedi Squirrels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]195027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195021.jpe   attachment-195022.jpe  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM

We feed birds so we have squirrels trying to get into the feeders. I read an article online that said if you mounted your bird feeder on top of a 6" PVC pipe that the squirrels can't climb it. Just be sure not to put it under an overhang or tree where they can climb and drop down on top of it. Haven't had a squirrel make it up the pipe yet. It is really funny to watch them try though. Ann in TN
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM

NOT a fan of the squirrels. One year they decided to chew up my hammock and had a nice fluffy warm nest that winter. When I decided NOT to get another hammock, they ate the neighbor's rug from her back porch. The next year, those little boogers untied, yes I said untied the bandana that was wrapped around the cowboy boot bird house and used it!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I used to feed the birds, and enjoyed it.

Then it became feeding the squirrels and the birds, and I enjoyed it.

Then the squirrels needed to go to Weight Watchers and I couldn't afford the birds and WW for the squirrels.

Sadly the birds have lost out.

If you want some fun ... buy your squirrels a Squngee
... Best. Entertainment. Ever!!!!!!

You'll love it and so will the squirrels!!

Just be careful and wary ... the little varmints can crawl into cracks you won't see and thus into your home. Also, they can tear thru window screen as well as animal proof screening and come into your home. (yes, I have learned that lesson and now have heavy steel screen on my kitchen windows ... not as pretty, but at least I don't live quite so much in fear of their invasion)

No longer do I care for squirrels ... though can appreciate the fun you have in watching and feeding them.
I hear you. They are cute to watch but they eat all the fruit off my trees , get in the gardenand and eat stuff . We also had a pair of racoons take up residence in our attic. Dh bought a couple of cage traps and relocated them out in the country (we back up to a golf course so we have lots of "urban wildlife" ) Don't know if it is legal to relocate ,but they would have just tried to get back in and they can be VERY determined. No way could we kill them we are such animal lovers
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

You might want to check this out: http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com/dyna...ree%20Patterns
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Thank you for the support!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM

At my former house we had a squirrel feeder outside the masterbath window. It was a lot of fun watching them at the feeder while in the bathroom. Did have one that found his way down the chimney of the fireplace and then ran back to the bathroom. All we had to do was open the window and he went out to start eating his sunflower seeds. I brake for squirrels.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Daughter has squirrels and she feeds the birds, they have 20 acres and i love watching them,,,