Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Squirrels!!

Blog Entries
    The veggie oil and cayenne pepper spray should work.

Everything here is caged and fenced. Between the deer, rabbits and squirrels, they will get it all. Even the gophers think they should have what is planted. Next year I am going to put up one of those dog kennels lined with 1/4 inch screening to try to keep them out. Don't need a big garden, but would love to have some tomatoes and squash

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    DH had a raised bed. It was about 2 ft. off the ground. He put 1/2" hole chicken wire (I call it) around the bed and made a frame to cover with 2 different openings. It was about 3 ft. high. Since he was curious, he got a trail cam to see what kind of critters were interested in the garden and to see how his idea of a raised garden bed would work. It worked keeping 4 legged critters out. Much to our dismay though it didn't deter 2 legged critters. We caught 3 young kids from the neighborhood who poured bleach and ammonia on the bed. The camera caught the direction and house they ran into. The next day DH showed the video to the neighbor and his sons and a friend were standing right there watching the video. DH took the $100.00 from the guy for cost and said if you want to press charges do it. DH said "No they will work/volunteer in a community harvest garden and see how much work goes into preparing and nurturing a garden so food can be put on the table to feed the hungry" They actually thought the $100.00 was the end of it. DH did threaten them if they did not do this he would press charges. Not sure what they're doing now but hopefully they did learn something from this. Dh did build another and it worked well. Wire kept the birds and we had a nice little harvest.

Blog Entries
    I have used Tabasco sauce diluted 1:10 with water spray plants. It is somewhat helpful, just have to reapply every few days or after a rain. Sometime ago I read a very inexpensive way to keep them from bird feeders. Not pretty, but inexpensive and the most effective I have found. I used an empty birdseed bag (40 lbs), opened a the bottom large enough to get over the pole between the bird feeder and the ground. Tie in place to create a hood on the pole. Squirrels crawl up the pole and end up inside the bag unable to reach the bird feeder. I have been using this all summer and have lost far less bird seed than normal. Unfortunately it does not work for grackles when they are around.

Quote Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
    Those suckers are aggressive! We have one claw it's way into our garage. Ugh, their cuteness level has gone down around here.
    For me, too. Around here, it's more like destructive little devils. They are forever eating siding and getting into people's attic where they either die or reproduce. Neither of which produces a good result for the homeowner. I'm glad my dog keep them away from our house.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mammab View Post
    I have used Tabasco sauce diluted 1:10 with water spray plants. It is somewhat helpful, just have to reapply every few days or after a rain. Sometime ago I read a very inexpensive way to keep them from bird feeders. Not pretty, but inexpensive and the most effective I have found. I used an empty birdseed bag (40 lbs), opened a the bottom large enough to get over the pole between the bird feeder and the ground. Tie in place to create a hood on the pole. Squirrels crawl up the pole and end up inside the bag unable to reach the bird feeder. I have been using this all summer and have lost far less bird seed than normal. Unfortunately it does not work for grackles when they are around.
    Interesting idea. These little critters jump down out of the trees onto the feeder then push the seed to the ground for their friends. We moved the feeder under a tree because the falcons were killing the doves when we had it out in the open. The doves eat mostly off the ground and supposedly the falcons cannot see them as well through the trees.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Blog Entries
    Try wolf urine. You can buy it through Amazon or from a couple different websites:
    http://predatorpee.com or http://thepeemart.com
    We used it just on the veggie garden, once only, and had no squirrels for 2 years.

Squirrels taste good when cooked in a crock pot with some vegetables, my husband and the pets love it. Yum

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    What do you mean I'm not supposed to be in here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2