Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
standard, stick, and rotary party lines >

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm 44 and I remember having a party line with the 3 families on my road. The nosy older lady across the street used to pick up the phone and listen or if it was summertime and she was outside and we weren't home and our phone rang, she would go in her house and answer it and take a message for us. As for the shifter on the column, my very first car was a 1975 Ford Maverick with a "3 on the tree" My friends were all in awe that I had such a thing!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
A 19 yr old co-worker was telling me she knew how to drive 'standard' on the floor. I told her that was 'stickshift' -that standard was on the column-she said no, that was automatic. I say that yes now it's automatic but there didn't used to be all the automatics. Standard was a shifting gear on the column and Stick was on the floor. She didn't believe me so she asked a driving instructor. He told her that Yes, it was that way but he himself had never seen it. Am I THAT old???
Which made ask about phones. She has never used a rotary phone and never heard of 'party lines'. But she does still see 'old-fashioned push button phones' on walls. OMG, just roll me in my grave now.
I am there too! What about our parents TV remote? At my house it was called, 'Sharon'. How about yours?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM

I learned to drive on a 3 on the column (some called it a 3 on the tree). In north Idaho, you only needed to dial the last number of the prefix then the remaining numbers for local calls. It was long distance to call the next town 6 miles north even though they had the same prefix. Any family lucky enough to own a TV had an antenna that looked like a clothes line. Two glass 5-gallon jugs of milk were delivered by a local farmer. Had to wait for the cream to separate, and yes we churned our own butter.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by sisLH
A 19 yr old co-worker was telling me she knew how to drive 'standard' on the floor. I told her that was 'stickshift' -that standard was on the column-she said no, that was automatic. I say that yes now it's automatic but there didn't used to be all the automatics. Standard was a shifting gear on the column and Stick was on the floor. She didn't believe me so she asked a driving instructor. He told her that Yes, it was that way but he himself had never seen it. Am I THAT old???
Which made ask about phones. She has never used a rotary phone and never heard of 'party lines'. But she does still see 'old-fashioned push button phones' on walls. OMG, just roll me in my grave now.
I am there too! What about our parents TV remote? At my house it was called, 'Sharon'. How about yours?
at our house it was called Ruth or Mike (mine and my brother's name!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM

I remember rotary phones, stick shfts though I never drove one, party lines and that one neighbor who was always tying up the partyline. I remember necker knobs, drive-in-theaters, typewriters, rabbit ears and having to get off the floor to turn the tv over which was in black and white. Life before computers, cell phones, text messaging and caller ID.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Do you remember counting the ringing of the phone and waiting to see if it was for you? ours was 2 long and 1 short there were 6 familys on that line, Every one knew who was getting a call and there was always someone listening in. LOL Noboday had secrets then. (early fifty's)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
Do you remember counting the ringing of the phone and waiting to see if it was for you? ours was 2 long and 1 short there were 6 familys on that line, Every one knew who was getting a call and there was always someone listening in. LOL Noboday had secrets then. (early fifty's)
I don't remember that but I do remember that if you wanted to call someone that shared the party line you had to dial 25 then their 7 digit number then hold down the disconnect button until your phone rang back !!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
And I remember when we bucked up to a private line and the nosey old lady came to our house and wanted to know why we weren't on the party line anymore!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM

I remember a friend's Rambler station wagon, circa 1963, that was automatic, but operated on a panel of square buttons to shift. I've never seen that configuration on any other car.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Ours was Randolph 25 and a party line then it became 7 #s but still a p/l The TV rolled til Dad smacked it on the top back left side And tuesday night was the nite we got to stay up late to watch Red Skelton with popcorn and a glass of Pepsi-Cola and Dads 51 Chevy was a standard shift and the coolest car next to my step-moms Rambler Nash that slept all 9 kids.Ahhh- The simple life :-)