Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
standard, stick, and rotary party lines >

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM

In a way I really miss those days.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM

I miss not knowing that we didn't have a lot of things. I didn't know we were poor growing up. My dad was an over the road truck driver and mom stayed home with me and my brother. We didn't have much money, but I didn't know that. We always had food on the table, 3 meals a day. Mom made me dresses, we always had wonderful birthdays and Christmas' and there was always home made cookies in the big silver bowl!!! I miss when life was soooooo much simplier. . .
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 AM

Isn't it fun to reminise (sp)!!!!!!!! I love the old memories. I, too, learned to drive on a standard and nearly broke my neck till I mastered that clutch. OMG, it seems like just yesterday. Our kids and grandkids have no idea of the non-modern things we lived with. I remember the pull chain for the "potty". They would never believe that one!!!

Thanks for the memories.

sandy14
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 AM

Oh yeah, none of us has mentioned not having seat belts back "then". Those are fairly new.

sandy14
Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
the phone we had did not have a dial at all. you just picked up the phone and the operator would say number please. my grandmother's phone number was 392W1 and our phone number was 319J2. :)
My grandmother was from Waterloo, Wisconsin and my grandpa was the village blacksmith (true) and her telephone number was 203M! It was one of those tall wall phones that were made of oak and were a beautiful piece to hang on the wall and had the earpiece that was held in place by the cradle that disconnected a call and you talked into a mouthpiece type of thing and she used to yell into it!!!!!!

Edie

PS - How times have changed. When I was growing up and a teenager back in the early 50's, our telephone number was HUmboldt 1234, then it changed to HU9-1234, then it went to 489-1234 (the HU being 48), until today, my mom is 95, has the same phone number only now it is 651-489-1234. That's how the telephone numbers have changed. She has the speed dial now with our names on the phone so all she has to do is press 1 and there I am!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 AM

Love the memories - learned to drive in an "automatic" because our family was pretty well off. My kids can't believe there was such a thing as "black and white" tv without a remote. We played outside all day and it was hard going in when supper was ready. We didn't use calculators for math homework. We knew how to spell without spellcheck! Our teacher was our spellchecker! And remember the old typewriters we used. I learned on the old black ones. Life was much simpler!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 AM

I'm only 44 and know about all of those things and have used them all. So really how OLD are we?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 AM

My grandson needed to be told how to use the dial phone, It felt great to be the teacher for a change. I remember talking into the stand and the only thing you held was the listerner thing. Our first number was Belmont 4023. I also remember when canned food was what we put up. I think it was friendlier when the neighbors sat out and shelled peas and strung beans, cleaned corn and gossiped getting to know each other. Please pardon me today is my birthday and I am feeling very old.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 AM

My sons friend was over one day 25yrs ago. We had a rotary phone in the hallway on the wall. He asked my son if he could call home.My son said sure the phone is in the hallway. Next thing you heard was ,How do you use the phone.LOL
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 AM

My youngest GD loves to spend the summer with us. IF she has been really GOOD during the day, then she can go to sleep with the radio playing! This is the only place she can hear a radio. (If she's not so good, she watches a little TV to fall asleep.) This radio is so "old" it also plays a CD and a cassette tape and it has it's own antenna. She's never seen a cassette tape or an antenna. I used a "church key" to open a can of evaporated milk yesterday and she had never seen one of those either. She found some 35mm slides and can't get her head around the fact that the slide can be projected or made into a photograph. She also doesn't understand what a camera shop is. She's 8. I ordered a digital converter and we are going to put a few thousand slides into the computer and onto CD's and that may be what my kids get this year for Christmas. Talk about a labor of love!