Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
standard, stick, and rotary party lines >

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

standard, stick, and rotary party lines

Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM

I learned to drive a 1947 Ford. Of course it had a standard 3-speed. We still have a 1977 Ford Explorer pickup with a 3-speed on the column. I love to drive it. It has no power steering or power breaks though, so is a little hard for me to handle now.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Definitely remember party lines. Do you remember the party lines that had the different number/kinds of rings (long and short rings)? They rang at all the homes that were on that particular party line. You could tell by the ring who was getting a call. Love stick shift vehicles - felt like I had better control in bad weather. However, gets tiring in rush hour traffic (used to work in DC).
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 AM

I used to be fascinated with my friend's mom because she could drive the 3-speed on the column. Back then we called it "3 on the tree".
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 AM

When our kids were growing up we had an 8 party phone line. A few years ago our oldest daughter was trying to explain what a party line was. One of her daughter piped up and said "oh thats like 3 way calling". Have laughed about that one. On another thought I would like to have cars with windows that you crank up. In the last month I had to have my drivers window repaired as the motor was shot..to the tune of 300.00. Ouch!!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM

TOO funny. In my kindergarten classroom we had a "kitchen" dramatic play area with child-sized wooden furnishings. Ninety-nine percent of the students had no clue about the ironing board and iron. Those who recognized them usually stated that "Gramma has one."

P.S. I remember party lines and asking the operator for a connection. (Just barely.)

P.P.S. I once had a three-speed International Scout. I popped the clutch leaving the driveway and the lovely lemon pie on my mother's lap became a decoration for her bosom. :oops:

P.P.P.S. Our old black and white must have been special---we didn't need a remote for it---there was only one channel available. Take-it or leave-it TV.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM

I remember being at my grandparent's farm in the country and when a call came in it would ring in three other homes also and depending on the ring (4 short 1 long)etc. you would know who the call was for. Chances were that everyone was on the line at one time or another during your call, that was a real party line.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM

For the farm women/men on here - remember using the cow tank or the milk cooler which was a tank that was filled with water and it overflowed into the cow tank - and what did you use it for other than watering cows, or cooling the fresh milk from the cows???? your beer or sodas - all in glass bottles!!! The only tiem there was beer on hand was when the men were working harvest or putting up hay and they'd have a "refreshment" with their lunch or before a meal; sodas were only when we had a birthday or likewise for men working in the fields - how times have changed; now beer and sodas are an absolute necessity in everyones refrigerators everyday! What happened to "treats" and drinking water from the well? ;) (Yep, you guessed it - I'm old - and still love the old fashioned ways, but would not want to give up all our new-fangled gadjets and ways.)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM

I learned to drive on a standard. It was a 1959 Metropolitan convertible. My Dad still has that car.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM

How about the push-button shift we had on our sleek '57 Plymouths? with the high tailfins? sexy looking car of that era! But I learned to drive a shift on the floor Nash - the newest car we ever had when I was growing up - and I can't even remember what year it was. Dad never owned an automatic in his truck(s) - and he had 2 trucks in his lifetime - he did not get a new one til the old one died - he just kept repairing to keep the old one alive until there was no more hope!!! Sure not like these days, when no one wants to drive a car that is not under warranty! :)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 AM

My first car was an automatic 60-something Corvair with a small lever on the dash.