Static cling and cats!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Is anyone having a problem with static and there cats? haha I've been calling my cats "sparks-a-lot" Anytime I pet them they get charged and we end up zapping each other. :lol:
Is there a cure? Do you think it I can rub them with a fabric softer sheet? (would it be healthy for them?)
Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

LMBO too bad you couldn't use that as a training tool :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

I would be leery of that as there are chemicals. but a light misting of a childs spray on hair conditioner may work...if they don't lick it off :roll:
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM

When my cats started "sparking", I knew it was time to get more moisture in my house.
I would set water out on the radiators to help. I even had an indoor dryer vent which was wonderful for helping to heat the house too. We had a very small house at the time that we had that.
You could try a vaporizor in the main room of the house, just make sure you keep fillilng it to get the moisture into the air.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
When my cats started "sparking", I knew it was time to get more moisture in my house.
I would set water out on the radiators to help. I even had an indoor dryer vent which was wonderful for helping to heat the house too. We had a very small house at the time that we had that.
You could try a vaporizor in the main room of the house, just make sure you keep fillilng it to get the moisture into the air.
Agree!! Get a humidifier or use some other method. I also sew a lot with fleece; if you think cotton causes static, you should try working with fleece during the dry winter months!

On a funnier note, have you seen the tv commercial where the kids are trying to tell their teacher that Fluffy, their pet rabbit, isn't doing too well and needs help? Long & short of it, the teacher builds up static on two balloons, places them on either side of Fluffy shocking him, jump starting his heart! The look on Fluffy's face is priceless. Every time one of my furry ones gets sparked, I think of that commercial. How to laugh and feel bad, all at the same time! :?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

You can alway ground yourself when petting them lol, it does sound to dry, I have had the indoor vent and it works well, though the room it is in if it is small enough can be like a sauna, a fan and open door will help with that. (unless you want to have a sauna that is) most furnaces have a humidity thing on it, you may want to make sure if you do that it is working, Having one of those table top water fountains helps though the cats will think that you put it in for them, just keep an eye on it so that it doesn't go dry, it isn't good for the pump, Plants also help with the humidity in the house and help keep it balanced, you will find the dryer the house the faster they will dry out, okay I am done rambling.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Haha, poor Fluffy!
I will check into getting a humidifier. For now, I will simmer some water on the stove. I have one cat (Doodle) who gets really staticy. I can rub up and down on her back a few times and she walks away with a spikey hairdo!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Haha, poor Fluffy!
... I have one cat (Doodle) who gets really staticy. I can rub up and down on her back a few times and she walks away with a spikey hairdo!
Fluffy can relate!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I use a small humidifier in some of the rooms of my house. My hair stands up straight if I don't......and believe me that is scary. :shock:
Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Is anyone having a problem with static and there cats? haha I've been calling my cats "sparks-a-lot" Anytime I pet them they get charged and we end up zapping each other. :lol:
Is there a cure? Do you think it I can rub them with a fabric softer sheet? (would it be healthy for them?)
Thanks
Your house needs more moisture.