Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Still need help planning vacation >

Still need help planning vacation

Still need help planning vacation

Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by michelled
If you go to Niagara Falls, then you might want to go to Letchworth Park in the Finger Lakes area.

If you go through Pennsylvania, there's always Lancaster - a great area with lots of stuff to see there and in the surrounding areas. Of course, it's also the home of a great quilt show and lots of Amish/Mennonite stuff to see.

If you are going through Massachusetts, there are the Berkshires. We get off the highway at Pittsfield (great outlet mall at the exit) and then go to Lenox and nearby towns. The Norman Rockwell Museum is worth a visit!
Thanks so much...all sound like great ideas. Adding them all to my list.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
The National Corvette Museum is here. They recently finished a big expansion and have more old cars on exhibit now.

We are approximately 1 hour north of Nashille on I-65. There are 2 parks here - a KOA and Beech Bend Campground. Neither is really great :-(

In Nashville there are 3 parks just up Music Valley Drive from the Opryland Hotel. We have stayed at the Jellystone one but they all look OK. Just the usual city BIG prices!
Corvette Museum, definitely on the list. Hubby is a vintage car nut. He has his own little collection all in various states of restoration. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
If you're coming through the Northeast... peak foliage color is around Columbus day in most of upstate NY, a little earlier in the Adirondacks and in other higher elevations - probably Vermont would be included in that.

Please do sample our apples if you get the chance! We grow LOTS of varieties here in NY, and most supermarkets carry a dozen or more kinds. But if you go to a farmer's market, you will find more variety still, along with plums, peaches, apricots... all great for munching while you're on the road. Healthy, too!
APPLES!! Yes!! I feel bad for people who have to rely on supermarket apples (red delicious, yellow delicious, Granny Smith....Boooooooring). When you get them from an orchard you will know what apples are supposed to taste like.

Your DH and you might enjoy this as well in York PA
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ours/york.html

We have been, it is pretty neat.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jaynie
If you're coming through the Northeast... peak foliage color is around Columbus day in most of upstate NY, a little earlier in the Adirondacks and in other higher elevations - probably Vermont would be included in that.

Please do sample our apples if you get the chance! We grow LOTS of varieties here in NY, and most supermarkets carry a dozen or more kinds. But if you go to a farmer's market, you will find more variety still, along with plums, peaches, apricots... all great for munching while you're on the road. Healthy, too!
Oh my....wasn't planning on leaving here until around the 21st or 22nd....I'm monitoring some websites that predict foliage change, but not sure. Should we leave sooner? I don't want to go too late. The apple idea sounds great and would really love to visit a farmers market. We haven't had enough rain in Texas for anyone to have produce for a farmers market around here this year and my garden was horrible. Thank you!!!!
WOW, don't know what I was thinking when I ask if I should leave earlier....must have looked at the calendar wrong. I should have plenty of time to be there by Columbus day if we leave here around the 21st.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts

APPLES!! Yes!! I feel bad for people who have to rely on supermarket apples (red delicious, yellow delicious, Granny Smith....Boooooooring). When you get them from an orchard you will know what apples are supposed to taste like.

Your DH and you might enjoy this as well in York PA
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ours/york.html

We have been, it is pretty neat.
Oh you just said the magic words for my hubby: HARLEY DAVIDSON. He is a Harley man and I am positive that will be on the PRIORITY LIST!!! You just made his day!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
Pigeon Fordge,Tenn. it's beautiful there...just got linked to a new campground there and it looks wonderful....google Up The Creek campground....there is so much to do in that area you'll want to stay a week...Try to bypass new york city and route yourself to upper state new york....I could fill a book of things to do and places to go up there....I love it....It's like being in another world, it's so different....In portland we went right down to the water and waited for the lobsterboats to come in and they sold us lobsters...we went to campground,made a fire and cooked them ...Have fun !!!
Originally Posted by sewgull
Tennessee and Smokie Mountains are beautiful in the fall.
Of course I think South Carolina is great. S.C. has some of the best campgrounds anywhere. Several are right on the ocean. Do you belong Good Sams RV Club?
Yes, we are Sam members...any place you recommend?
There is a really nice quilt shop in Cosby, TN for far from Pigeon Forge. It is in an old log cabin. My DH loves going there.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Paducah KY has the National Quilt Museum! DH & I camped at The Land Between the Lakes, in Hillman Ferry campground. It's a huge place, but in the woods. LBL has lots of campgrounds in it. Beautiful area, it's in both KY & Tenn, the western side of the states.

Paducah has Hancocks and Elanore Burns shop.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Also while at Niagra fall,,,check out the St. Lawrence Seaway...and scholl of Hortoculture....fasinating places....
BETTY62 & Buzzy Bee, thanks! I am adding those places to my little "book of ideas".
Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM

http://www.quiltart.com/lancaster.html
that is a link of quiet a few quilt shops. If you're around on a Tuesday you could go to Roots. It's a farmers market/flea market on http://www.rootsmarket.com/
The Kitchen Kettle Village in Bird in hand is nice http://www.kitchenkettle.com/. Also Gettysburg is a nice place to visit. There is alot of History there.
Hopefully this is what you're looking for. I'm jealous of your trip. Maybe one day...

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Are you going thru Lancaster, PA. Lots of Amish and quilt shops. Let me know and I'll give you some great must see places.
Absolutely plan on visiting Pennsylvania. Can put Lancaster on the list for sure. Tell me please,,what are the MUST SEE places.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If you go to Niagara Falls... it is prettier on the Canadian side. They know how to do some fantastic gardening there!

But you will need a passport to get across the border.

And as to apples...try to find a Honeycrisp of you can. They are more expensive than any other variety, but once you taste it, you will understand why. It is a newer variety and supply has not caught up to demand.

Here's a link to learn more about apple varieties:
http://www.pickyourown.org/apples.htm

There's a pick-your-own orchard about a half-hour south of me, where they grow probably about 20 different varieties. Guess we're pretty lucky here in NY!