Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stolen packages

these kinds of things will get more prevalent as the economy tanks even further. People are stealing anything they think they can sell or hock at a pawn shop. Whether they are still buying drugs with the money or food for their families is another discussion.

We are living in tough times for many. But theft is never the answer! I wonder what they will make with fabric???? They are probably very disappointed.

The fabric probably got dumped somewhere when they saw what it was. It was about $60 worth.

Purchase a sign that says something like, "This property is monitored by security cameras." for future use.

In my neighborhood, when the porch thefts started, they were quickly followed by break-ins. We have Marine Corps and Army stickers on our windows and vehicles. We were the only ones never bothered. My neighbors with a fancy security system had a break-in.

When I was a kid, it was neighborhood teens who did the break-ins. Now, it's adult meth-heads who ride their bikes through neighborhoods all day long scouting. We also have home invasion robberies because there's a university nearby. That's not the meth-heads. That's jilted dealers hitting the wrong house.

What a wonderful world! Hope your packages remain unmolested and you get your Christmas gifts.

I have had the happen here what nervesame

I have one small item coming today but the delivery for Wednesday is a big one from Kohl's. I get off work at 2:00pm on Wednesday so I hope to be home. My deliveries are almost always after 4:00pm, they always leave a hub that is about a half hour from me that covers a lot of area.

Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Of course, now that they are warned, they may break your window & steal your computer.

I don't believe in warnings. Just do it.
    I wouldn't warn them either. If they are stealing, you know they are desparate. Just think what that already desparate person would do if they knew they were being caught by camera. They would destroy the camera and the window to the camera, then you would have no way of catching them.
    I swear, I really don't know whats wrong with people. It seems like the holidays are always worse for stealing. I guess its just too hard to actually earn money to purchase stuff, when you could just steal it....... Shesh....... stealing packages right off someones porch. I hope you catch them, be sure to let us know.

I hope it's just the kids in the neighborhood and it will deter them. Before she moved my neighbor used to get my packages after one was stolen and with another one she saw the boys on my porch. She shoo'd them away and got the package.

Quote Originally Posted by fayza
    Of course, now that they are warned, they may break your window & steal your computer.

I wouldn't warn them either. If they are stealing, you know they are desparate. Just think what that already desparate person would do if they knew they were being caught by camera. They would destroy the camera and the window to the camera, then you would have no way of catching them.
    I swear, I really don't know whats wrong with people. It seems like the holidays are always worse for stealing. I guess its just too hard to actually earn money to purchase stuff, when you could just steal it....... Shesh....... stealing packages right off someones porch. I hope you catch them, be sure to let us know.
    Ditto on this. If they don't know they're being filmed the police might be able to find them. If found you might get items or money for items back. If they see your note with camera...... glass breaks easily and all they would have to do is follow the wires. With no note they might not see your camera. Best wishes.

i hate that why do some people do things like that it is just wrong sorry you are going through that i hope all things come out right and hope you have a merry christmas and a wonderfull new year
    we are sending you hope and caring
    and hope that little not will stop them from doing that again

Like I said before... I want the Christmas gifts, not just to catch them. I can do the camera again without any warning but for right now, I'd rather get my packages. If it wasn't specifically gifts that I would have to go out within 2 days and replace, then I wouldn't do the note.

That is terrible that you even have to do this. I was too thinking that someone may take your computer too! Good luck w/catching them!

Do you have anyone, a niece, nephew, relative that could come over and wait for your mail?

This way too if they are there then the person won't even be tempted to come onto your porch!

Blog Entries
    my friends husband made a box for the porch for packages..it looks like a cooler. the ups guy must have a motorcycle, because if he sees the return address as a parts place, he puts in behind the fence! lol

Blog Entries
    I thought the same...

I understand your wanting to get your Christmas packages at any cost, but might the sign cause someone to break the window and destroy the camera?

I agree with this. I think you would be asking for a broken window and a stolen camera. Don't do it.

I hate that packages are just left at the door. At least you have been able to have them delivered at work.

Hope this is a strong enough deterrent. I agree with another poster, thieves almost act like they wanna get caught - like it is a dare.

what a great idea you have, I hope you catch the culprit, or even better yet they feel horrible about stealing your package and return your fabric to its rightful home

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    This week someone stole the money from our church which was meantfor the flowers (poinsettas) for the alterfor Christmas. It never ends. the world is certainly different these days and not always good.
    Someone broke into our church at Christmas time several years ago and stole the ceramic container that a pointsettia arrangement was made in, plus--get this- the preachers Bible.
    We go to a little country church and never used to lock the doors, after all God's house should be open to all, but now we lock the doors. So sad!!

I think this is brilliant but don't warn them they might steal the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Leann
    I hate that packages are just left at the door. At least you have been able to have them delivered at work.

Hope this is a strong enough deterrent. I agree with another poster, thieves almost act like they wanna get caught - like it is a dare.
    Seems like they do want to get caught! I mean, what have they got to lose, they get a warm place to stay, regular meals, dont have to worry about dr or dental care. We pay it!!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    You know, there was truly a package thief at work in the Pittsburgh area about a month ago:
    http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...65/detail.html

While the police seem to have an idea who did it, the mere publication of a story like this encourages copycat crimes, don't you think?

We had a valuable package that we shipped to a Pittsburgh area address go missing in October. So the thieves are definitely out there. Our UPS and FedEx contacts tell us that it is more common this time of year.

I would suggest that you have any valuable packages sent to your workplace, or even to a neighbor's where you know someone is always home.

Well, UPS didn't leave the package anyway. The sender required a signature so they left a notice. I got online and changed the delivery to Will Call. There is a place not too far from my work so I'll get it today.

I still have the large delivery on Wednesday and hopefully I will be home by the time it gets here. That one is from another place that I already received one of the packages so I know that it will be left without signature. I was home for that delivery but he knocked and was walking away before I got to the door.

I hate when they do that! I know they are probably in a hurry but it flips me out! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast