Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: strange email

SCAM BEWARE. Notify local police and e-mail server.
    Don't reply to e-mail.

Blog Entries
    I got one of those about this time last year, it was a real tear jerker.

Unfortunately, I knew the family slightly and knew their oldest kid was still in grade school, this scam said the family's oldest had "been hurt badly in the holdup trying to shield his mom, and wouldn't be able to get home for his high school graduation".

The writing was terrific, loved the tear jerkyness of it, but I simply forwarded it to some scam area, forget which now.

Blog Entries
    if i don't know the sender, i don't even open the email. ya just never know.

Blog Entries
    It’s a scam. It is safer for you and you are better off not opening e-mails from someone you don’t know. You know those e-mails that say ‘You are My Friend’ and ‘If you Love God’ or ‘If you Don’t send this You’ll have bad luck” and then tell you to forward to 10 friends including me? They are playing on emotions don’t do it. It is set up so that every time the e-mail is forwarded to someone ‘they’ are getting that person’s e-mail address that it’s being forwarded to. And they just got yours from whoever forwarded it to you.

Also when you forward e-mails delete the e-mail address it came from and bcc when you have more than one person you are sending an e-mail to.

Spam! :)

I got one, only it was my cousin who supposedly had sent it. They used basically the same thing you have said. It said they were in England and got mugged coming out of their hotel. They found info from Facebook. My DH called my cousin's wife to inform her. She said a lot of people had also called her. These people contacted me in facebook chat. I threw questions to them asking certain questions only my cousin knew. I tripped them up. I said, I want to make sure you are who you say you are. When I asked what kind of work do you do now. They told me they were laid off. I copied what they said, forward it to facebook, and disconnected from them

Yes, I got an e-mail that my cousin was in Phillipians and her purse was stolen and needed money to get home. Come to find out her e-mail had been hacketed along with her bank account. It was a mess and took her a long time to get fixed. Don't respond!

Banned
    thats been going around for a while now

It is a cyber scam. This happened to me and was sent to all my contacts in my regular email (then my entire contact list was deleted!) I think it was done via FaceBook as I could no longer sign in as the message said, email and sign on changed. I did not do this. I never really did get my FB back and had to start another FB site. I was told to change my sign on and password frequently and not to use obvious things like home town, birthdates, anything that could be found by googling/ancestry.com etc. Good luck. What a pain these folks are causing. Everyone thought I was in the UK. That is where the $ was supposed to be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    Looks as if someone has hacked Harriet's email, she needs to look into it. Happened to a guild member here and she had to clean up her computer, etc. Purplepassion, you should email or call her to let her know. I'm sure you know not to "reply" to that email or open any attachment assoc. with it.
    I agree with this. Happened to several people I know. They should at least change all of their passwords.

It happened to my daughter when she was about 8 months pregnant. The title of the E-Mail was "Sad News". Of course, everyone thought something happened to the baby.

Everyone here is correct about it being a scam. There are a lot of acam artists out there and they prey on unsuspecting people.

Power Poster
    that is a a scam dont do it being going on for awhile now

Blog Entries
    junk email. delete it!!

Have received quite a few of these emails myself from different folks. The person who is sending the email (isn't really) has had their computer hacked and emails such as these will go to everyone on her contact list. Unfortunately for her, its a mess to clean up and she may have to get a new email address.

It's a scam. I know a person who's email was hacked. He was very upset. He let everyone know it was a scam, then changed his email address.

It's a scam. We've gotten that email several times from several different "friends." It's a hoax. Don't know how they get our email addresses and know who our friends are.

Who paid for the email? Whose computer are they using?They don't sound very poor to me - possibly living on the donations of people they are duping into helping them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I just got a strange email to my regular address; from Harriet Carpanini. Saying they were on vacation and were mugged and need money to pay their hotel bills and such. Has anyone else gotten this? I don't know how she would have gotten my address.
    I don't know you except from this board, and I don't know her. Do you know her? This sounds like a scam to me as well, and somehow, someone got your email addy and is just trying to make money. I would send the email or give the sender's addy to who ever your email carrier is, like hotmail, yahoo, or whoever and get them to check it out. i had to do that several years ago. BUT whatever you do, DON'T answer it.

Sounds like a scam to me.

This happened to a friend of mine, her email was hacked. One of the recipients of the email was an elderly cousin, she had a hard time convincing this lady that it was not real, she hadn't been mugged, her husband was fine, etc. A few days later the cousin calls back, Are you sure you are both alright??

Blog Entries
    SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I've gotten these from time to time. They are phoney and the result of someone hacking into an email account. The first time I got one, it was supposed to be from a friend of mine who is a famous theologian and adviser to the Pope. The grammar and syntax was so awful, I just knew it had to be fake. It was.

scam!

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Harriet is on this Board.
    If Harriet is on the Board, she needs to know that someone is using her name in this way. Contact her by PM and send a copy of the e-mail to your Server. They also need to know. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Please go to search and find H. Carpanini and let her know about this. She may have been hacked into and doesn't know it. That way she can check it out on her end.
    Meanwhile DON'T do anything except delete that email!

I just got a strange email to my regular address; from Harriet Carpanini. Saying they were on vacation and were mugged and need money to pay their hotel bills and such. Has anyone else gotten this? I don't know how she would have gotten my address.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast