Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stringless Apron Tutorial

Blog Entries
    I believe that preventing burns IS a kindness. Sorry you took offense but in my profession (retired RN) teaching safety was a large part of my responsibilities. I have seen many burns from kitchen accidents and I would do all I could to prevent such an occurrence. My post was not to condemn anyone but to point out the potential for severe harm. Just because someone has used a specific item without harm does not render it safe, it only makes the user fortunate that no harm has been done. Nothing I posted reflected on the quality of a well done tute...it merely pointed out a safety issue that had most likely not been considered in the past. I feel no shame for my post!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    My goodness ladies, I am sure that Krystyna deliberately took the time and energy to make a tutorial about an apron she hates (and uses all the time) just so that everyone could burn up in their kitchen for Thanksgiving??? NOT!!! I thought we are too treat each other with respect and kindness on this board and that first post about safety was anything but kind...no one is forcing anyone else to make anything they don't want to or feels is unsafe??? I'm not sure I would ever venture to have the courage to put a tutorial on this board if it were received as this one has been??? Shame shame...

Krystyna, I think your tute was very well done...great pics and directions...cute fabrics!!! Thanks much!!
    Donna
    "A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves."
    ~ Harvey MacKay

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for the tute, Krystyna...quite complete and I will be making some. In re to the safety issue if that is a concern for some....why couldn't you just take a long strip of bias tape (your choice of width), stitch up the open side, and just tie it around your waist if cooking?....would only take a nano second to stitch and wouldn't even have to be attached.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    I believe that preventing burns IS a kindness. Sorry you took offense but in my profession (retired RN) teaching safety was a large part of my responsibilities. I have seen many burns from kitchen accidents and I would do all I could to prevent such an occurrence. My post was not to condemn anyone but to point out the potential for severe harm. Just because someone has used a specific item without harm does not render it safe, it only makes the user fortunate that no harm has been done. Nothing I posted reflected on the quality of a well done tute...it merely pointed out a safety issue that had most likely not been considered in the past. I feel no shame for my post!
    I feel the same way. I would never wear something long and floppy like that, no matter how well the tute was done. And the tute was done beautifully. But I can adapt that pattern to something I can wear. Like sew "strings" onto the sides. LOL It is actually a very cute way to put it together.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

If I wore an apron like that to bake cookies, the ONLY way it could catch on fire is if I took a stick and poked the ends down into the bottom of the oven where the flames are. It's really not easy to get to naked flame, at least not in my stove and I think my stove is a pretty average/normal stove. Range top cooking...why would you lean your body over a lit range in the first place? Wouldn't your boobs catch on fire, strings or no strings? LOL

I've cooked in a lot of floppy outfits, hunching over large open flame (campfires) and no problems. I'll wrap my sleeves over my hands and shove my arms right into the flames to grab a pan...never had a problem. I wear cotton almost exclusively (wouldn't reach into a fire with polyester on) and it just doesn't seem to catch on fire very easily.

I don't understand why this apron would be significantly more dangerous than any other apron for cooking in your average kitchen. Working with machinery, I would definitely see the danger. But for cooking on modern appliances...I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Thank you, Ronda!
    Actually, this is what I usually wear for safety's sake, but it was too hard to do a tutorial on it

Attachment 499657
    Have you been in my kitchen when I'm cooking? It is suppose to be secret! (you actually made me snort!!)
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Here is my version of tie-less. The hoop fits all waist sizes, is not intended to go completely around the waist. Easy. Just make like a curtain sleeve to go onto the loop. One thing I learned is sew shut ends of sleeve (for lack of technical term) and make a slit about half inch from end, on inside, to weave band into. This way the material does not slide off while wearing. One band, many very washable aprons! http://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/525...57711_hm1g.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana View Post
    It's so unfair that the "Boob Fairy" doesn't come until we're long past wishing we had any, and they do tend to get in the way -- ie. trying to drink something in a stemmed glass while sitting down.

As for the 'round the waist part ... I seem to remember buying this narrow, stiff flat white fabric-covered-plastic to use as a shaper in the top of those thread bins made of fabric. I also used it when making a nursing cover. Would that be strong enough to put around the waist to hold it in a bit? How about if it were doubled. What we need is a giant "slap" bracelet like the kids used to wear. There's got to be something out there that would work.
    Here is your slap bracelet for the waist/apron. Really works. http://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/525...57711_hm1g.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    My goodness ladies, I am sure that Krystyna deliberately took the time and energy to make a tutorial about an apron she hates (and uses all the time) just so that everyone could burn up in their kitchen for Thanksgiving??? NOT!!! I thought we are too treat each other with respect and kindness on this board and that first post about safety was anything but kind...no one is forcing anyone else to make anything they don't want to or feels is unsafe??? I'm not sure I would ever venture to have the courage to put a tutorial on this board if it were received as this one has been??? Shame shame...

Krystyna, I think your tute was very well done...great pics and directions...cute fabrics!!! Thanks much!!
    I disagree with your interpretation and intent of the advice about burning. I think it was a considerate gesture to warn us. I would have worn it cooking but now realize the apron is more for other kitchen duties and is gonna be great for me in food prep, clean up, etc., (lots of hand-wiping surface, especially if made with a towel) but not for cooking. I have had a baggy sleeve catch fire as no body warned me of the hazard and I did not think of such on my own. (It may have been covered in home ec class but I probably slept through it). When we don't know each other personally, we do not know the facial expressions to go with the words. Because of this, when something seems a bit snotty or snarky or snooty or haughty in the delivery, I try to give the benefit of the doubt, believing most people do not intend to be mean. Thus, I did not see any trashing of the tute or even of the apron -- only the use of the apron for cooking. On the line of safety, more than one ER has been called for a woman whose top apron tie was hanging forward and got caught in the mixer or the stove. To disagree with someone or to give warning is not disrespect or lacking kindness. Compassion prompted the warning; not criticism.

Blog Entries
    Slap bracelet is interesting, but I wanted a very simple apron that I could give to church members while using up some yardage of the toweling I have. As for safety -- I've been wearing the one my secret pal sent me several years ago while cooking indoors and out and I haven't gone up in flames yet. It sure is convenient for wiping up the blood after slicing meat with dangerous knives and polishing dangerous glasses that can break and cut you. Much more worried about slicing my fingers with a rotary cutter, sewing my fingers together, or being buried alive under an avalanche of fabric! But we all have our own level of comfort and that's what makes the world go round -- not gravity!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
    Here is your slap bracelet for the waist/apron. Really works. http://img1.etsystatic.com/008/0/525...57711_hm1g.jpg
    YEAH! That's what I'm looking for. So where do I find one?
    Last edited by Nancy in Louisiana; 11-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    OMG,

I had a long day already and looked at the apron earlier. Off course I read the post, couldn't stop laughing about the boob fairy one.
    Now I wanted to post what I would use it for and came across the slap bracelet that could help. Now I'm thinking, the bracelet will enhance what the "fairy" didn't. I'm sorry,it's been a long day, fortunately now it is a silly one.

Thanks I needed the laughter.

My use for this apron:

Whenever hubby disappeared in the garage and comes back, he has stains on his shirts. Might it be glue, grease or some kind of smudge. This apron now will help to keep them off.
    Imagine embroidering tools or something like this on there, this will make a nice gift.

Yes, I know! I can hear some of you saying why waste thread to embroider an apron that'll get dirty, well because I think it's nice to make your husband or partner feel special too.

Thanks for posting the "so much talked about" apron. I love it and will make them for Christmas gifts. Another idea, should you have children and they like to craft, this will also help to keep the mess off the clothing.
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Blog Entries
    Think the slap bracelet would work just fine. My question would be, why do you have to put it in a sleeve? Maybe I'm just lazy but I'd just put it around my waist OVER the apron if I were going to use one.....might paint it or slightly blouse the apron top over it...or...just leave it plain. Really...I'm just cooking, not serving at a 5-star restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    Think the slap bracelet would work just fine. My question would be, why do you have to put it in a sleeve? Maybe I'm just lazy but I'd just put it around my waist OVER the apron if I were going to use one.....might paint it or slightly blouse the apron top over it...or...just leave it plain. Really...I'm just cooking, not serving at a 5-star restaurant!
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The sleeve would be if you were having a half apron; you know, from waist down. Great idea you have there to slap it on over the much discussed apron. Check this apron out. I would buy one just to see how constructed and then make more for myself. http://www.seniortoo.com/uk/catalogs...esult/?q=apron The link may be in another language, click on the English/British logo at top right to be translated. This took me several tries. Cool beans.

There are still some slappers on ebay and etsy searching under apron-hoop or apron curvet. Also was an occupational therapy item until late nineties, it looks like. Then I came across this one but can not figure out how to get into the shopping cart to see how much. http://www.swereco.com/product/apron-hoop/

The actual slap bracelets kids are wearing have a metal band in them. Wondering wear to purchase those metal pieces in longer size????
    Last edited by yobrosew; 11-21-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Make your own slap bracelet; could the same effect be had for an apron using a wider tape measure? I would think it would need to be longer than the plastic apron hoop/curvet. Also would want to wrap in duct tape or something as being so long could do some face or eye damage if sprang back at you unexpectedly. If I try this, I will post the results. http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HT...nce/exp/title/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
    Yes, I know! I can hear some of you saying why waste thread to embroider an apron that'll get dirty, well because I think it's nice to make your husband or partner feel special too.

Thanks for posting the "so much talked about" apron. I love it and will make them for Christmas gifts. Another idea, should you have children and they like to craft, this will also help to keep the mess off the clothing.
    I love the idea of embroidered tools! And cut to the right size, a craft apron is great, too. I am always covered with wayward threads and I think I'll try it as a sewing/embroidering apron!
    Krystyna

Cute tutorial, I will definitely have to try this out. Thanks for posting

Having family in for thanksgiving dinner including three toddlers...too old for bibs, but these made from those useless finger towels I have buried in a drawer might do the trick....save moms the chore of washing out the drippings of our dinner!

Blog Entries
    I made a bunch of aprons similar to this 2 years ago for Christmas. I have a few begging for more. I have a pattern but not at my location at present. If I get time I will try and put one together and post. It does not have ties either!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Blog Entries
    SoBuzy, I'm hunting around for more of that type of fabric. Doesn't have to be Christmas themed. Does anyone know where it might be available?
    Krystyna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2