Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stringless Apron Tutorial

Blog Entries

Stringless Apron Tutorial

To begin, I cannot take credit for the Stringless Apron. About three years ago someone who had me on the Secret Pal Swap sent one to me. She also kindly sent me the directions for making one. Well, sad to say I can't recall who it was and I've lost her directions. I couldn't find anything like it on the web, so I decided to do a really quick (read: far from perfect) version. I'm not big on measuring, so please adjust to suit your own needs.
    Name:  Stringless Apron Krystyna.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  102.7 KB
    I used fabric that is similar to toweling or something you might put on a dining room table. My piece was about 57" wide, so I cut a piece that was 28" long and 18" wide for the body. I guess you can use any kind of toweling since the standard size is about those dimensions.

Name:  Stringless Apron 1.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  51.9 KB

Then you'll need some quilting cotton that goes nicely with your body fabric. Since mine was 44" wide, I decided to cut a piece that was 11" x 8" and that way I got four "bibs"

Name:  stringless apron 2.jpg
Views: 2586
Size:  58.0 KB

Then you'll have to cut a strip for the neck loop. I made mine 30" x 3" -- but I think 24" x 3" is better. If you cut it longer, you can always adjust later.

Name:  stringless apron 3.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  62.8 KB

Off to the sewing machine! Take the bib and hem the short ends about 1/4"

Name:  stringless apron 4.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  58.1 KB

Finger press the long edges - about 1/4" in

Name:  stringless apron 9.jpg
Views: 2578
Size:  54.2 KB

Then get the toweling piece. This fabric was sort of stringy.
    Normally I would have taken it to a serger, but they were not behaving today so I made them sit in the corner for a time out.
    Name:  stringless apron 6.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  50.4 KB

I decided the best plan was to use a zig zag stitch and pull the wayward threads as I went along.
    Hem the two long sides and the short side that will be your bottom. 1/4" or round about is good.

Name:  stringless apron 7.jpg
Views: 2586
Size:  44.0 KB Name:  stringless apron 8.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  35.8 KB

Back to the cutting table we go!
    Finger press the bib piece in half, wrong sides together.
    Figure out where the middle of the body part is. Pretty easy with this fabric!
    Name:  stringless apron 10.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  58.5 KB

--- Stay tuned --

Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Now fold wrong sides together and place behind the body. Fold half over to the front.
    Name:  stringless apron 12.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  54.2 KB Name:  stringless apron 13.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  56.6 KB

Bring the edge of the body over to just a smidge inside the bib and pin. Right side and left, too

Name:  stringless apron 14.jpg
Views: 2573
Size:  55.2 KB

Now comes the fun part. With the body part that is all scrunched up inside the bib, form a lovely little box pleat. The tucks look best if they are coming from opposite directions. Pin them in place.
    Name:  stringless apron 16.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  stringless apron 15.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  stringless apron 17.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  57.3 KB

Back to the machine! I decided to zig zag it in place for stability and also just in case things didn't line up too perfectly in the back. (I know you'll be more careful with this than I was.)

Name:  stringless apron 18.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  57.6 KB

Top stitch the sides of the bib closed.

Name:  stringless apron 19.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  44.1 KB

Since the bib is actually a sandwich, you can quilt it anyway you like.
    I just did some simple lines for expediency.
    Name:  stringless apron 20.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  45.8 KB

--- more to come --
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Technically this stringless apron does have a string -- the neck loop.
    I cut a strip 3" wide x 30" long. That was too long.
    What was I thinking? 24" was better ... experiment.
    Sew right sides together and turn inside out.
    (While struggling with a safety pin to turn the tube, I kept thinking about my darling hubby who held up a tube turner and said, "Look! 85% off!" To which I replied, "What would I use that for? Ha!")
    Name:  Stringless apron 21.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  33.5 KB

Tuck the ends in to be tidy and top stitch.
    Name:  stringless apron 22.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  55.9 KB Name:  stringless apron 23.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  37.5 KB

Attach to the edge of the bib on the front side ending about half way down the bib.

Name:  stringless apron 24.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  43.5 KB

Hand stitch on a cute button. I didn't have anything cute on hand, so these had to do. But have fun.
    Name:  stringless apron 25.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  39.4 KB

Back to the neck loop. If you made it too long, like I did, figure out how long you want it to be and snip off the extra. Tuck one end into the other and top stitch.

Name:  stringless apron 26.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  38.9 KB

Extra ideas:
    Decorate the bib with quilting using metallic thread.
    Add some rick rack or fancy braiding to embellish.
    Most importantly, have fun and don't sweat the measurements.
    Krystyna

Interesting concept. Nothing goes around the waist to keep it close to the body?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Interesting concept. Nothing goes around the waist to keep it close to the body?
    Nope. I like this design because it's fast and you can make them to give away without worrying about size -- and trust me -- too big or too small can be a big embarrassment. I'm whipping some up for the ladies who make cookies for shut in's. Perfect, too, because it's a towel so you can just wipe your hands on it.
    Krystyna

Thanks for sharing. Look like something I could use.

It's so simple, yet so practical! I'm gonna have to make at least one of those.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Love this idea! TFS!!

Blog Entries
    I hate to say it Ladies but to me this rates right up there with big loose long sleeves as being dangerous when you are cooking. If you are wearing it while taking something out of the oven or near a gas or conventional electric stove burner it is potential TROUBLE, and yes, I was shouting that word. Have you ever seen a chef/cook in a commercial establishment wear an apron like that? Of course not! They must comply with certain safety regulations. As the daughter of a Safety Engineer for an insurance conglomerate I learned to look at everything with safety in mind. If you like the pattern, at least make a separate long tie (and keep it in the pocket) that would fit most all sizes. Watch the fat and the skinny chefs on TV to see how they tie their aprons...front or back (once or twice around, in other words) for SAFETY sake!!! Is it any wonder that the style went out of vogue years ago considering how litigious our society is? I doubt that you will find a commercial manufacturer of this style apron...they don't want to be sued. Sorry...I'm off my soapbox now. Stay safe!
    Donna
    "A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves."
    ~ Harvey MacKay

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Thanks for the tute! You mentioned earlier that you might make some for nursing homes. I used to make my DMIL bibs , she lived in an assisted living home. This pattern is simple and cute, wish I had it then!

Blog Entries
    Here is the finished one on my good friend, "Olga"

Name:  Stringless Apron b.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  49.5 KB
    Krystyna

I agree with you Donna. Cute idea, but just add the ties.

After seeing the picture of the finished product on the mannequin, all I could envision was it draping over an open flame on the front burner if you were reaching across to pots on the back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    I hate to say it Ladies but to me this rates right up there with big loose long sleeves as being dangerous when you are cooking. If you are wearing it while taking something out of the oven or near a gas or conventional electric stove burner it is potential TROUBLE, and yes, I was shouting that word. Have you ever seen a chef/cook in a commercial establishment wear an apron like that? Of course not! They must comply with certain safety regulations. As the daughter of a Safety Engineer for an insurance conglomerate I learned to look at everything with safety in mind. If you like the pattern, at least make a separate long tie (and keep it in the pocket) that would fit most all sizes. Watch the fat and the skinny chefs on TV to see how they tie their aprons...front or back (once or twice around, in other words) for SAFETY sake!!! Is it any wonder that the style went out of vogue years ago considering how litigious our society is? I doubt that you will find a commercial manufacturer of this style apron...they don't want to be sued. Sorry...I'm off my soapbox now. Stay safe!
    Last edited by quiltinglady-1; 11-20-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

In my mind, 'my' apron would be a heavier towel, rather than light-weight fabric . . . and my range is electric. Still, I suppose it could present a problem, if one wore it for cooking.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

tmw
    I would need a tie, I am clumsy and I have a gas stove
    Thelma

It looks very cute but dangerous, I too would be afraid of starting a fire, I'd definitely put ties on it. I'm going to use your tutorial and make these only shorter and call them bibs for the elderly or myself when eating seafood, or other messy foods. I've ruined so many of my blouses and tucking in a paper napkin doesn't always work.

Blog Entries
    My goodness ladies, I am sure that Krystyna deliberately took the time and energy to make a tutorial about an apron she hates (and uses all the time) just so that everyone could burn up in their kitchen for Thanksgiving??? NOT!!! I thought we are too treat each other with respect and kindness on this board and that first post about safety was anything but kind...no one is forcing anyone else to make anything they don't want to or feels is unsafe??? I'm not sure I would ever venture to have the courage to put a tutorial on this board if it were received as this one has been??? Shame shame...

Krystyna, I think your tute was very well done...great pics and directions...cute fabrics!!! Thanks much!!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Ronda!
    Actually, this is what I usually wear for safety's sake, but it was too hard to do a tutorial on it

Name:  flame suit.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  44.2 KB
    Krystyna

Power Poster
    ​Looks handy and would also be good for adult bibs.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Thanks for the tute, I am going to make some for my granddaughters.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Thank you, Ronda!
    Actually, this is what I usually wear for safety's sake, but it was too hard to do a tutorial on it

__________________________________________________ _______

Ahh come on Krystna: you can do it make a tute on this ! ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Thank you, Ronda!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the excellent tutorial, but most of all for the good laugh! For use in the kitchen, I think I'll add a tie right under the bust to pull it in a bit over my more than ample belly, but for use as a travel bib while eating in the car or on the go, several without ties. Still laughing!!!

I am short so the fact that it is loose would not be a problem with the stove. I think it would be a great apron for the kitchen clean up after a meal. Ha ha even during a meal to keep that ranch dressing off your shirt.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elnan View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the excellent tutorial, but most of all for the good laugh! For use in the kitchen, I think I'll add a tie right under the bust to pull it in a bit over my more than ample belly, but for use as a travel bib while eating in the car or on the go, several without ties. Still laughing!!!
    The "travel bib" idea is a good one!! Those stops at fast food places on the road always end up with "special sauce" dripping down my front. Good tute -- thanks. Give my regards to Olga -- she's looking good these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana View Post
    The "travel bib" idea is a good one!! Those stops at fast food places on the road always end up with "special sauce" dripping down my front. Good tute -- thanks. Give my regards to Olga -- she's looking good these days.
    What you don't see in the photo is that Olga is standing next to the fire place!!!!

OK, since you all confessed to being a little bit on the sloppy side, I've been using mine for those times I eat something on the sofa while watching TV. It inevitably ends up on my chest -- or worse yet -- in my bra!
    Krystyna

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    It's so unfair that the "Boob Fairy" doesn't come until we're long past wishing we had any, and they do tend to get in the way -- ie. trying to drink something in a stemmed glass while sitting down.

As for the 'round the waist part ... I seem to remember buying this narrow, stiff flat white fabric-covered-plastic to use as a shaper in the top of those thread bins made of fabric. I also used it when making a nursing cover. Would that be strong enough to put around the waist to hold it in a bit? How about if it were doubled. What we need is a giant "slap" bracelet like the kids used to wear. There's got to be something out there that would work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast