Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jarenie View Post
I have been on a tight budget as of the death of my husband. 5 years of illness that wiped out just about everything we had. He was not insurable due to health. But I found this great web site www.tiphero.com and they have great ideas on how to live on less. I only pay 12 cents for soap for a load of laundry and fabric softner is 4 cents per load. They had a list of home product that you can make yourself for less. Cloths all come out clean and bright.
You can have them email you weekly tips. I could not do without them.
Do you have the soap recipe? Would love to try it. There are so many on the internet that it is overwhelming to know what to use.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM

After seeing the post about using dental schools - I am reminded of another hint that I do. I get my haircuts at the local hairdressers school for $8. It also takes considerably longer to get a haircut (it takes about 45 minutes to an hour) but since I am retired, my time is my own. It saves a lot of money and I have never had a bad haircut from the students. They are carefully supervised by the teachers.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM

What a great post, I think for the most part we are all feeling the pinch.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
After seeing the post about using dental schools - I am reminded of another hint that I do. I get my haircuts at the local hairdressers school for $8. It also takes considerably longer to get a haircut (it takes about 45 minutes to an hour) but since I am retired, my time is my own. It saves a lot of money and I have never had a bad haircut from the students. They are carefully supervised by the teachers.
I cut everybody's hair so their's is always free - nobody complains. But I can't cut my own. When the beauty school shut down, I started donating my hair - some places give a free hair cut if your hair is long enough and you donate.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 AM

Lots of great hints! One I would add is if you find the need to replace your water heater, check out the on-demand type. The initial cost may be a bit more, but the combination of convenience and lower operating costs over time made it well worth it for us.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Lots of great hints! One I would add is if you find the need to replace your water heater, check out the on-demand type. The initial cost may be a bit more, but the combination of convenience and lower operating costs over time made it well worth it for us.
My DH did some research on those water heaters - he came up with just getting a regular energy efficient gas water heater was a better buy even long term. The electric on demand water heaters do not work very well.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Judy McCrary View Post
Glad to hear that idea about using the fabric softener sheets for cleaning bugs off the front of the car. Never heard that before.
Just use it on the chrome NOT the paint. It will really scratch and ruin the paint and clear coat finish.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
Just use it on the chrome NOT the paint. It will really scratch and ruin the paint and clear coat finish.
How long does it take for the scratches, etc to show? I've used it on the paint, not rubbing hard, using a VERY WET sheet and have seen no damage but the bugs go immediately.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

There is a tremendous difference in paint finishes on cars among manufacturers. Some are very hard and many-layered; others are softer with not many layers. Some have hard protective coatings; others do not.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There is a tremendous difference in paint finishes on cars among manufacturers. Some are very hard and many-layered; others are softer with not many layers. Some have hard protective coatings; others do not.
I didn't know that; thought there was an industry standard of quality. I've got a Nissan Altima. I had used the same thing on our Ford 150 pickup.