Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Power Poster

I also like this thread. Me and my husband are on a fixed income. Due to lupus, sjogren's, and fibromyalgia complications, I had to retire early as a teacher on social security/disability. I had only worked 15 years, but also started later in life. My husband does not draw a check due to not enough work quarters, because he was a musician and didn't think to have taxes taken out. We both just recently qualified for state insurance, plus my medicare is kicking in now.

We have to watch everything. Our biggest problem is eating out too much, due to both of us with no energy. I do use coupons, and we shop at thrift stores, and have also found wonderful furniture bargains at a local thrift store, and they even delivered a couch and chair to our house. We have no truck. We have only one car.

We close off our second bedroom during the winter. You would be surprised at the full skillet recipes etc. for using ramen noodles that are cheap. I also save change. I have converted to using vinegar for cleaning, and love it. My husband for Christmas got a envelope/card maker, so now as a past time he can make any cards needed, and much prettier. I also am quilting/sewing gifts for birthdays/Christmas, etc. It's a wonderful stress reliever for me too.

When i had to quit my teaching job early we were not prepared, but the day I came home so stressed out with my physical pain, and mental pain from lack of concentration, and memory loss, all in the midst of a principal passing the buck of mistakes she had made onto many of us, I knew lack of money or not, that was my last day.

We were scared and most of our extra money went to help my husband with some medical expenses he had too. We just gave it all to the Lord, and took it one day at a time. It only took 5 months for me to get disability, and that was with NO lawyer. (I give God the glory) We got help from a food bank type place for a few months. The electric company had a hardship program where for one month they would pay your bill. We called the people who we owed our mortgage with, and explained things to them, and they worked with us, but it got a bit scarey at times too. I still owed money on my school loans, but after I got my disability, and filled out the forms, and gave them all the documentation, they forgave the rest of the loans. I cut my husband's hair, but can't cut mine. Right now I am trying to grow it one length for a short bob. I color my own hair, and buy cheaper hair color, because it seems to last as long as the more expensive, but my problem is just doing it, due to so little energy. I do have a high school close by that has the cosmetology program, and I might go there.

I went to Walmart today, and needed a pair of jogging pants to finish my physical therapy in. Well, I got them on clearance for $3.00. I was pretty happy about that.

I hope this thread continues, because we all know it is going to get worse. In my 20's I had a home to burn down, and we lost everything. We weren't very wise then, and thought we had enough insurance, but we didn't. We had enough that paid off our home to the others, but nothing for us to rebuild or anything. My son then was only 3 years old.

I am 59 now, with a grown son and daughter in law, different husband than when in my 20's, and a bit wiser. Notice I said , a bit.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Power Poster

I grew up cutting holey socks and underwear into rags when they were no longer fit to wear.
I buy alot of things in bulk when possible. we have a mennonite store not too far away.
As alot of you I cook from scratch mostly.
In the summer time we have a spring clean and then a fall one too where the trash truck will pick up anything you put out. A lot of people go around and look through what others are getting rid of. we have found nice furniture this way and other things. It is a bit like yard saling only free! LOL
After a town wide yard sale alot of people will put out for free the things that didn't sell on their yard sale. this may be something local that isn't done elsewhere. I guess I don't really know that for sure.

We have second hand stores we frequent from time to time. I bought a hand held noodle cutter for a quarter several years ago and have used it alot to make homemade noodles.
We have a store sponsored by the local food and clothing bank where you can buy things for a quarter or 50 cents etc.
My mom burns as much of her trash as possible rather than use a trash bag to put it out for the pickup.

We had a family friend who could pinch pennies til they squealed. She would go to any free dinner as in a church pot luck or at any local event where she could eat for free. She would not only eat but would get a paper plate and take leftovers home for her supper that night or next day. she had money and owned properties but she was raised to save til it hurt.

Last edited by Rhonda; 02-06-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM

We shop at the Dollar tree, Aldies for food and I have no problem, tastes as good as higher priced items. We have chickens, which lay a lot more eggs than we need, so we give some to all the people that live close to us, when they want to pay for them, we tell them that we may have to call on them for help some day. First snow fall we had, checked to see if we could get out and the drive had been plowed already.
I have a large garden, can, freeze & make jam for the married kids..and then when we need help with harder things around our home, we can asked and not feel guilty. My DH gets up early & helps his nephew with his barn chores, drives tractor and hauls cattle for him. 11-24-12 was the last day we had dairy cattle on our farm, after 58 yrs, so we find some thing to do every day and they all help us back.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM

When we need car repairs, we go to the local High School all you do is buy the parts and the supervised students do the work, they are not allowed to take cash so we have bought them pizza before, it's well worth it.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 AM

I forgot to add one of the best money savers that I have ever had, it is my dryer!

I had a hanging rail put up to hang a draught excluder curtain but found it far more useful for drying things, like towels, quilts etc. etc. I have a small one in my bathroom for the smaller bits but the hall one is such a money saver. It doesn't get in my way, makes good use of the hall heating and everyone has got used to it being there, in fact my Brother and a couple of friends have copied the idea as it can be fitted in a number of different places. BTW the actual hanging rail is just a leftover broom handle!

Umm really must remember to take down the curtain
Attached Thumbnails clothes-dryer.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

We don't own a dryer - we do have places to hang clothes to dry. A fan can hurry up dry things in a pinch.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM

For wiping water drops off lino from your pet drinking you can make yourself a slipper with terrycloth that just slips over your shoe.... you don't have to bend down & it soaks up the water. Can't find a link how to make one right now, but here's a link to show you something similar. http://www.roxiesshop.com/custom.em?pid=829593

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-01-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: per member request
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks for those super tips Thimbles, love the idea of the socks
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 AM

I am fortunate to be able to walk most places as we live within a mile of town.... we rarely do a large shop as I take my backpack & stop at the store for necessities when I'm out and about. I rarely purchase a book, enjoying the library & all it has to offer. (but also I do this because I don't have room to store books) If your hands are cold sitting in the evening, knit some fingerless gloves, my friend made some beautiful ones for herself from a free pattern as she likes to lay & read after the heat has been turned down in the evening. We also have a small toaster/convection oven and for just the 2 of us it gets a good workout. Between it and the slow cooker the larger oven is very rarely used unless we are having company & need to cook 3 or 4 items at a time.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM

You bet the prices have gone up.. I shop from the super market circulars. I bring breakfast to work, and make coffee to bring in. I heat the milk so the coffee is still hot when I get there. I shop at Dollar tree, and Big Lots. The bagel store has 1/2 off between 2-4 on bagels, so I stock up.. It is pretty scary what is going on. I am not on a fixed income, but want to save as much as I can for retirement. I also have a retirement account that is growing.. As for the dentist. I was there yesterday, and paid $265 for a cleaning, and X-rays.. Even the vet isn't cheap.. I thought it was because of where I live. We are on an island out of NYC, and we are taxed extremely high. Our electric is probably the highest in the country.. The salaries aren't low, but are needed to live here..