Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any colors you struggle with?

Any colors you struggle with?

I am curious... Is there a color you have a really hard time with, maybe avoid altogether? For some reason I have found that I avoid both pink and brown. I have seen beautiful quilts others have made that included one or the other, so I am not sure I can explain it.

Blog Entries
    I kind of avoided orange. Then my niece, whose favorite color is orange, had a baby girl. I made her an orange quilt and decided I really liked it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My problem color is yellow. Since I've been using up my scraps, I find myself struggling to find some to add. To a lesser extent, oranges and purples, too. Surprisingly, even though I don't particularly like olive green, I seem to have quite a few in my scraps, and have to push myself to use them.

Brown, definitely. It used to be orange, but one year I challenged myself to use it more. I found how orange really pops. But brown still seems pretty dull to me, and I like color.

I seem to have problems incorporating yellow. I like it but I just don't put it into quilts. I do use gold a lot. I admire the work of others who use yellow in lovely quilts.

Brown. It doesn't seem to go well with the bright colors I like to use.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

bj
    The colors I struggle with now are black and dark blue. I love them in quilts and use them, but I sure have a hard time seeing them clearly. My eyes are just getting old like the rest of me (0:
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

No, I play well with all colors!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Because of something that happened to me when I was young, I have a problem with red. It is someone else's favorite color and that someone did something to me. I might use cranberry or crimson so that my quilts are not dull, but I do not care for bright Christmasy red.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Purple - I'm just not drawn to it so I have to make a point of buying it for my stash. Right now I'm cutting out for scrappy blocks, and still have to remind myself to occasionally grab the purples.

It's not that I dislike purple, it just does not say "come play with me" when I look at it, like the other colors do.

I have a sister that must feel the same way. I bought out her stash, over 300 yards, most in 1-2 yard cuts. And not a purple in the bunch!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Pink is my problem. Even when faced with making a baby quilt for a little girl, I'll do anything to not use pink. I don't have any personal problems with the color, I just can't seem to make it sing. If you look through my stash, it is mostly 'autumns' so that may explain it.

I just don't like brown. Beige is OK, can do a lot with that and bright colors. Purple calls to me in my later years! Have always loved red.

I dislike a lot of shades of green, particularly shades of yellow-green and brown-green. I love Jinny Beyer's Moonglow quilt pattern, and love most of the color choices she put in the kit, but there are enough brownish-greens in there that I know owning it would annoy me. I toy with the idea of some day making it with a different selection of fabrics.

I am not fond of browns. I think it is because I prefer cool colors. I think that is what makes me so attracted to Moda fabrics since many of them have a cool undertone. However I am now working on a batik quilt for our bed which has browns with greens and some other shades. I am doing ok with it. I don’t buy for a stash, just for a specific project, and I think that helps me deal with colors that don’t sing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire123 View Post
    I am curious... Is there a color you have a really hard time with, maybe avoid altogether? For some reason I have found that I avoid both pink and brown. I have seen beautiful quilts others have made that included one or the other, so I am not sure I can explain it.
    ..........and the two can go really nicely together in a quilt!

I seem to move around in colour favourites..... and ones I don't work with!
    It used to be I never used white .... and it seems to be a regular now.
    Friends use to laugh that all my quilts were green or had green ...
    .... and I don;t think I have used it now, in over a year.
    Never used reds, but this last year, it seemed to be right out there front, row and centre.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I don't have a problem w/ any specific color, I love playing w/ all of them. But I do have issues w/ color families, like pastel, or the browned down dusty colors. Until I started playing in the Boom swaps I didn't have any of those colors.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I just made a quilt that says Rainbow is My Favorite Color, but I don't use much yellow or orange in real life.
    Lori

I’m just not a green person. I have no green in my closet to wear, no green, except houseplants in my home. I used to have a great deal of green in my home -Until - I realized I liked other colors far more than green. Oh, and having a MIL who wanted me to have a green home kind of soured me on green.

I'm another not-brown person.
    I put all my fabric on comic boards and I have two browns. Both fat quarters I had to buy for a tree in a wall hanging.

Watson

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of pink, for anything. My best friend turns 50 in a couple months and her favourite colour is pink. I have almost completed (needs another border) a lap quilt for her and the main colour is pink. I did add some dark purple for contrast and to put a bit of me into her quilt.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Orange and some yellows. I rarely use any shade of orange, and very sparingly any yellows. I've learned to like greens. I'm drawn to blues - ALL shades, and purples.

I LOVE colors - but some speak to me more that others. Orange is completely silent, and yellow mumbles. hahaha! The only exception for this is sunsets...God goes BEAUTIFUL artwork using all His color pallet. =)

Now saying all this - I can admire colors in other people's work. I can look at something that features warm colors - reds/oranges/yellows - but have no desire to make something in these shades for myself. Show me something in blues/teals/purples/royal/peacock etc & I'll drool over it.

Y'all have a colorful day!
    Donna Mc

Purple is not the fondest thing I'm of....
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No brown downtown" here, if I can help it. THat said, there are some deep chocolate browns, some saddle browns, and caramel bolts I've loved to look at. But to buy and use? Not unless I'm making a quilt for someone who loves it. I just finished a log cabin quilt for my sister in November which turned out really well. She loves all things "horse brown" and woodsy.

The other color is purple. I have very little in my stash. Oddly it was my favorite color once upon a time. But now I avoid it. My purple pieces must lay in the fabric drawer sulking, wondering what in the world they did wrong that they get no attention.

I am not thrilled with pastel colours but more so, I can't stand mustardy-yellows and orangey-browns and patterns reminiscent of the 1960s and 1970s (that seem to be popular right now). I was born in 1961 and I didn't like this palette as I kid. Now it just reminds me of how old I am!

I don't like a lot of orange or brown. I must have had too much of it in the 60' and 70's.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast