stuffing or dressing?????

Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Make the dressing, cubed bread, seasoning, celery & onion cooked in the butter poured over the bread, chopped giblets, and add chicken broth, then fight, I mean stuff the turkey, and then the rest go into the slow cooker and set on high for an hour then turned down to low. You get the crusty part that some like and it is moist also.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM

janedennis - I guess 'filling' is a Pennsylvania thing!
Numa - my family loves it when I use hotdog and burger buns in the filling. And lots of butter.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM

I do both, stuff the turkey and make more in a casserole. I love the stuff out of the turkey. I make it the way my mother always did... packaged bread crumbs, onions and celery sauted in butter, eggs, the giblets boiled the night before cut up really fine and I use the giblet water and chicken stock. And lots of sage and poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Neither! I grew up eating turkey balls - before that meant something else!! My mom makes a dry dressing that is formed into balls about the size of a baseball. They are placed around the turkey in the pan (a few will go inside for those who like moist dressing.) They toast while the turkey roasts! Split them open on your plate, cover with gravy - YUM!! Pretty traditional recipe I think - stale bread crumbs (wheat and white,) chopped celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, egg and stock from the boiled neck.

My husband makes a soggy, sage pan dressing. Ugh. lol
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I made my stuffing in the crockpot this year...turned out really good! I did leave out the mushrooms, though, because not everyone likes them. Cooked the onions and celery in butter, dumped them on the bread cubes, added sage, poultry seasoning, thyme, parsley flakes, and marjoram, salt and pepper, chicken broth to moisten, and two beaten eggs. Turned the crockpot on high for 45 minutes and then to low. Recipe said to cook on low for 4 to 8 hours; 4 hours was plenty, and the stuffing was just right!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Do you stuff your turkey or put it in a casserole and bake it along side????

I stuff my turkey. I love stuffing an all year long if I stuff a bird I make all different kinds of stuffing. Apple/raisin, cranberry/orange, or sausage. However for Thanksgiving I like a plain old fashioned cornbread stuffing. I make the cornbread the day before when it is cool I cut it into cubes and let it sit out to dry. I also make a loaf of white bread and do the same thing. In the morning I chop onion and celery and saute in butter and oil until golden brown. I add chicken broth, seasoning and then the breads. I toss until just coated and moist. Then in the turkey it goes. YUMMMOOOO.

What do you do??????
I prefer to have dressing on the side. The turkey is stuffed with quartered onions, bell peppers, celery, sometimes even smoked sausage bits. In this part of the state we make rice dressing. Some of the members of my family like cornbread dressing, but we make it with meat added to it.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by jojo47
I made my stuffing in the crockpot this year...turned out really good! I did leave out the mushrooms, though, because not everyone likes them. Cooked the onions and celery in butter, dumped them on the bread cubes, added sage, poultry seasoning, thyme, parsley flakes, and marjoram, salt and pepper, chicken broth to moisten, and two beaten eggs. Turned the crockpot on high for 45 minutes and then to low. Recipe said to cook on low for 4 to 8 hours; 4 hours was plenty, and the stuffing was just right!
what a great idea........will have to try that the next Thanksgiving I have with a big crowd..

this year, I am going out to dinner......no fuss, no cooking and no clean-up.

and no, I will not miss the leftovers on Friday.........

I am doing a turkey breast just for Friday sandwiches.......
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

we did a trail run with baking it yesterday. DD actually wanted to try it that way. come thursday it is NOT going in the bird we will have dressing this year not stuffing.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM

I stuff the turkey.. I make sauage stuffing. My family love's it....
Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Neither for me. Don't care for it. Usually I have someone else bring some, so that does it for me! :)