Summer Gardening

Old 06-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Tot, I get it. I went through a divorce and my life changed drastically. Just moved to new home and inherited a garden and want to keep it nice. I have added and also put in raised beds for veggies. I might as well get some food if I am going to be out there working.

Snooze, wow, that is a lot. I have raspberries and want a thornless blackberry. I haven't put it in yet. Just put in raised beds for veggies.

I have a pretty big perennial garden and am working on getting caught up on the weeding. Mostly neglected since it was not occupied for a while but I am enjoying it.

Everyone, I hope to post some pics and would love to see some of yours if you want to share. Please keep posting. It was fun to read about other gardening experiences.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I haven't done any gardening for years. The moles go through a flower bed and mice and voles ate the bulbs. I am not an outside person. Quilting is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:49 PM

I have about 20 rose bushes which are doing well this year & a large perennial garden in my parking strip. I love
deadheading each evening when neighbors are out walking their dogs & everyone is friendly. I plant beets, Swiss Chard & zucchini in between the perennials & sunflowers.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:34 PM

I've about given up on annuals and veggies--we just seem to have too extreme of weather--super dry and then super heavy rain, then super dry again--and basically had winter until mid-April this year! Plus with 2 artificial knees and having to wear a Rx strength compression hose due to chronic blood clot in leg I find it too hard to be in the heat or do the weeding I would need to do. One of our local extensionists says that when we are young and maybe renting our house, we plant annuals for the most "bang for our buck"; in mid-life we plant perenials as we want a longer term investment, are more likely to own our homes, and want to be able to work hard for shorter periods of time; as we get older to opt for bushes as we want something that is even less work commitment! I'm at that bush stage! LOL!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

One of our roses got attacked by a deer! I live in the suburbs but you wouldn't know it for all the critters that gallivant though my yard. Most only bother the annuals and the veggies. Except for the deer
Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 AM

We moved from a farm to a patio home this February. I had a vegetable garden, a large perennial flower garden, areas along the woods with hostas, ferns, etc.; as well as lots of annuals. It all was very pretty but also was much of my life keeping it up. Once the heat and mosquitos started in July and August, it was very hard to keep it up at my age. Now living in a small town I still have a small raised garden, plantings along two sides of our home and several large pots of annuals to take care of. It's very enjoyable to have downsized and really enjoy taking care of less. I actually am working on a quilt now which I wasn't able to do in the summer before. As we age we just don't have the oomph anymore. Do what you enjoy and want to do.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:39 AM

I've caught myself looking forward to fall and the end of the garden season! All the time in the garden is cutting into my sewing time!

I use to have extensive flowerbeds before we moved to SD - with the poor soil and high winds and all the other work to do, I gave up. I hope to have them again once we move south after I retire.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:08 AM
DJ

Sounds like a lot of gardeners here! We have an acre which is about 1/2 landscaped and house. DH is trying to tame the other half, so we will be planting more tress and shrubs to replace the scrub tress he had removed. We also need to do some serious privacy screening since the acre next door sold to a developer.

We're in the deadheading phase of the flower garden now. We don't try to do vegetables. We go to the valley you-pick gardens and local farmers' markets.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 AM

I can't plant any veggies here. We have herds of deer that visit daily and squirrels by the dozens. I wish I could. Have you seen the grocery prices for fresh produce? They are higher now in the summer than they were last winter! Go figure that one out. We just have to grin and bear it.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 AM

Yes, I like being out and saying hi. I need to find better times daily. I am new to area and tend to now go out early morning but evening I think people are more relaxed. I should try the chard. I haven't yet. Have you done beets before?

Originally Posted by marilynr
I have about 20 rose bushes which are doing well this year & a large perennial garden in my parking strip. I love
deadheading each evening when neighbors are out walking their dogs & everyone is friendly. I plant beets, Swiss Chard & zucchini in between the perennials & sunflowers.