Sunburns

Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM

You'll want to cool it ... start with just laying cool wet washcloths on it. When we were kids my mom put Noxema creme on it (don't rub it in), it felt better. Because its medicated it does take the sting out a little. You can try some of the other things listed here. You can also take aspirin or ibuprofen (or any anti-inflammatory).
Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Get WHOLE milk and put a little into a bowl so you don't waste a bunch. Using a paper towel or washcloth make a compress. The cold soothes and the fatty bits in the milk stop the burn from continuing. I sit for a little while--needs patience--and keep changing the compress. It warms up quick. After it starts feeling better, I'll put an after sun soothing cream on. I have one that is Swiss or something and is made of yogurt which continues the work of the milk.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Never heard of using vinegar, I'll try it next time. We used noxema when we were kids, now we use green gel (aloe). Once I did have a damp sheet on me with a fan blowing at me..I was blistered everywhere that tiny bikini wasn't :D I think the only thing that really works is time!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by M.E.H.
We use White Vinegar.
Yea, vinegar works really well. If you have an all over burn, dump a box of baking soda in a bathtub of room temp water and then just soak away.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
We went on a motorcycle ride yesterday. Was suppose to be going to a wildlife festival which we never made it. Because my husband and bil wanted to go to harbor freight first. Which was ok with me. We went last week and I got some blades and was hoping to get some more. Unfortunatly they still didn't have any in since I bought the last 3 packages. Anyway then we ate lunch and make alonger story short ended up on a 2 hr. ride and my face is REALLY SUNBURNT. Have been feeling the pain all day. I had put some noxema on it this morning before going to church. Just decided to wash my face and try some aloe.
What are your remedies for sunburn or do you think that the aloe is the best?
I have very fair skin and find aloe with lidocaine a big help - keep away from eyes!!!!

Also, someone noted using water and a bit of white vinegar. This combination is known to reduce inflamation and would work wonderfully.

Pesonally, I'm allergic to noxema! My mom used it on me as a child - ouchy. Be careful of anything with alcohol in it. It feels nice, but will dry your skin terribly.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by M.E.H.
We use White Vinegar.

Yep, this is the remedy my family uses! Works like a miracle with taking the "sting" out.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

We've used the white vinegar, too. Soak washcloths in it, and just lay them on the burned areas.

If you have blisters, it might be a good idea to go to a doctor for more serious treatment.

Burns are serious. It also seems that once an area has been burned, it is more sensitive to burning again.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM

We always use aloe for any kind of burn. The best is from the palnt itself but the gel in the jar works too. Hope you feel beter soon!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Cool compresses, aloe and whatever pain reliever you usually use. I have used vinegar, but always used the apple cider vinegar for it's healing properties. Another old remedy that seems to work is milk and honey. To one cup of milk, add a half cup of honey to make a thin paste. Spread over skin frequently untill burning has subsided. If you develop any blisters, don't break them. Put a light layer of soothing lotion on your skin once the heat is out of the burn. :oops:
Old 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM

I know it sounds strange, but , we use yellow mustard , straight out of the fridge! It will take the heat out and it will keep you from peeling. Just put some in a small bowl/saucer add couple drops of water to thin and use a cotton ball or facial pad and coat the area liberally. Works everytime, even on wind burn and great if you burn your fingers. We used toothpaste until we found out about mustard :-D