Sunburns

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

wet but cool tea bags, takes the sting out
Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 PM

rub ice cubes on it till the fire is gone. helps the pain.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM

Vitamin E - take a capsule and your pain should be gone in an hour. You may need a second capsule in a few hours, then take one or two a day. It's the thing that makes aloe vera heal, but if you take it internally, it works even better.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM

lived on a farm when we were young, and many days were sunburned.....MOM always used BUTTERMILK to take out the och... hope these hints all work,,try one and rest......
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by dharen7
Towels soaked in tea, be sure to use one you don't care if it stains it dosen't come out
Yep~! As the mother of a redhead, and fair skinned myself, I swear by tepid tea. The tannic acid takes the pain out of the burn and you don't end up smelling like a pickle! (Daughter hated the vinegar!) Don't chill it, as that is cruel and unusual punishment. Repeat as often as needed for pain control.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Okay, I read every post here, and I agree with them all...aloe, milk, etc...(except Noxzema-I'm allergic).
I have very light skin, light red hair and blue eyes...a recipe for sunburn if ever there was one. The problem with sunburn is that once skin is red, the damage is done, and the skin cells start to be inflamed and swollen. SOOOOOO, what product "reduces swelling and creates a cooling sensation on contact?" YEP! Preparation H!!! I Promise It Works! It will kill the pain, cool the skin down, and keep it soft, so that it doesn't blister and peel. Yes, I know that its unconventional, but Good is Good, and so I just had to share!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM

aspirin relieves the pain. I didn't believe it...but my (adult) daughter got quite the burn while out in a boat and the owner of the boat rental told her to take aspirin...she says it helped.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

we got some lotion in Hawaii that is aloe based. It really helps to cut the burn.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM

I've never used white sugar for sunburns(seems messy) but it works wonders for other burns. Covering the burned area with white sugar will remove the heat in about 20 min. It also keeps the area from festering later. I've used it on burns from my iron, hot stove grease, fireplace burns, even 4th of July sparklers. Anything you can imagine. My daughter spilled boiling water on her foot & ankle. I filled a plastic grocery bag with enough sugar to cover the burned area. 20 min later the pain was gone. I missed a small place that was just above the bag line. That place festered and went thru the usual aftermath of a bad burn, while the part covered by the sugar remained healthy. This won't take away the blistering just the pain underneath it. You can tell when the sugar has worked by removing the sugar periodically and if it still hurts put more on again.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dharen7
Towels soaked in tea, be sure to use one you don't care if it stains it dosen't come out
Used tea bags work too...